How accurate is your Bible translation version?

iamaberean

Obviously being able to read Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic would be the best way to read the Bible but if not then reading a word for word translation would be the next best thing, anyone disagree?

a3014c322cf88e89809c1dc308264bbb--bible-translations-charts.jpg
Sometimes it's not what it says but rather what it doesn't say.
Christian's were never asked to tithe.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luk 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Churches seem to believe that 10% forced upon the Christians would be more than what they would give as he purposedth in his heart.

I attended a church that never asked for tithes and every Sunday before the message the Pastor would tell the congregation how much was given in Sunday school and how much was given in the offering. Believe me they never had to ask for more money for operations within. We did have a time when a family traveling across country, dropped by asking for gas money to continue their journey. Before dismissing the church the Pastor asked the congregation to give to those travelers. I don't remember the exact amount but it was substantial. The church and the people requesting the money were blessed greatly.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Sometimes it's not what it says but rather what it doesn't say.
Christian's were never asked to tithe.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luk 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Churches seem to believe that 10% forced upon the Christians would be more than what they would give as he purposedth in his heart.

I attended a church that never asked for tithes and every Sunday before the message the Pastor would tell the congregation how much was given in Sunday school and how much was given in the offering. Believe me they never had to ask for more money for operations within. We did have a time when a family traveling across country, dropped by asking for gas money to continue their journey. Before dismissing the church the Pastor asked the congregation to give to those travelers. I don't remember the exact amount but it was substantial. The church and the people requesting the money were blessed greatly.
What does any of this have to do with the original post? Watchman was simply pointing out that the most expedient method of understanding the Bible would be to read it in it's original languages. Lacking that, it must be translated accurately into the languages people speak today. No more, no less.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

jsanford108

According to the game show Jeopardy, the New World Translation Of The Holy Scriptures, is the most accurate translation in the world.

Jeopardy is not the best source for unbiased, factual information.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Said like the true POSER that you are.

P.S. Quit replying twice to my posts.
I can see why you call yourself Right Divider. You're only purpose here is to divide, am I right? (Sorry, but you make it soo easy) And if I reply twice, it's because I'm confident you didn't get the point the first time.

jsanford108

Obviously being able to read Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic would be the best way to read the Bible but if not then reading a word for word translation would be the next best thing, anyone disagree?

a3014c322cf88e89809c1dc308264bbb--bible-translations-charts.jpg

This chart is inaccurate. While I agree that "word for word" translations are best in terms of accuracy, several on the chart are misplaced. One must also take into account scholastic input, Manuscript comparison, cross-referencing and analysis, etc.

As far as several posts referencing a text that is "easier to understand," there are scholastic versions, which are nearly "word for word," such as the RSV. Personally, the excuse of inability to read older scholastic versions is lame (granted, I practically cut my teeth with the KJV).

dcon

BANNED
Banned
This chart is inaccurate. While I agree that "word for word" translations are best in terms of accuracy, several on the chart are misplaced. One must also take into account scholastic input, Manuscript comparison, cross-referencing and analysis, etc.

As far as several posts referencing a text that is "easier to understand," there are scholastic versions, which are nearly "word for word," such as the RSV. Personally, the excuse of inability to read older scholastic versions is lame (granted, I practically cut my teeth with the KJV).

Then you must agree that by revising the KJV, the individuals who did so have committed errors, just as King James did in his original translation.

iamaberean

What does any of this have to do with the original post? Watchman was simply pointing out that the most expedient method of understanding the Bible would be to read it in it's original languages. Lacking that, it must be translated accurately into the languages people speak today. No more, no less.

Read my posts again, it points out that scripture as it is already translated is clear. Yet the things I have posted proves that most people don't understand God's word.

Jesus told his disciples that he spoke in parables so that others would not understand. Parables doesn't seem to be needed to do that today.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Read my posts again, it points out that scripture as it is already translated is clear. Yet the things I have posted proves that most people don't understand God's word.

Jesus told his disciples that he spoke in parables so that others would not understand. Parables doesn't seem to be needed to do that today.
So if the scripture as it is already translated is clear, why are there so many different religions all claiming to tell the truth mudding the waters? There can only be ONE version of the truth; there is no 'truth according to Catholicism', and the Baptists, and the Protestants. The truth is according to the Bible. The simpler and easier it is to understand, the better it is for all concerned. No one can argue that if a translation is written in an archaic language, or using words or phrases that are no longer commonly spoken, it is that much more difficult to not only understand, but to try to teach others. Whatever translation you choose to use, is your personal choice. The point here is how we do teach others. Do we sit back and say " that's their problem " or " the church leaders take care of that "? Jesus's command was that all his followers preach and teach. We can do that if we keep it simple.

Right Divider

Body part
I can see why you call yourself Right Divider. You're only purpose here is to divide, am I right? (Sorry, but you make it soo easy) And if I reply twice, it's because I'm confident you didn't get the point the first time.
Nice excuses poser.

Indeed, I divide truth from error. It's too bad that you have chosen to be on the side of error.

jsanford108

I've already conceded that fact; it's not necessary to beat that horse any longer.

I apologize. I viewed the other response literal seconds after posting my own. Had I seen the other, I would not have mentioned it. My fault.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Greetings again dcon,

Before answering your two Posts, I will state my present Bible preferences as per the topic of this thread. I have used a KJV for many years, and have grown accustomed to many of the verses, and even with some interesting verses their position on the page. At home now I read from a KJV/RV Interlinear Bible, and when I go to our meetings I open my KJV on the seat next to me for reference, and keep it open to the chapter that has been read and usually expounded. I use a NASB Study Bible on my lap to read, even if the reader used the KJV. The contrast is helpful. If the speaker turns up another reference, then I use the NASB. This NASB also has some additional notes on the page, Strong’s Concordance at the back, and also a Hebrew and Greek Lexicon for selected words that are highlighted throughout the Bible text. I recommend the RV and the NASB as an improvement on the KJV in many places, including the use of more modern English. I will reduce your Posts in my answer, but I am answering all that you say.
I use “Yahweh” when reading the KJV and other translations as I believe that this is more correct than Jehovah. Please read Rotherham’s introduction as a reasonable explanation of the difference. I would contest that JW theology matches the Bible teaching, though I do not doubt your sincerity. I started a thread “Jehovah Witness Teaching Compared with the Bible”, having a number of topics where I disagreed with the JWs. The last post was on June 14th 2017 and this is now Page 25 of this forum. Topic 4 mentions three passages where I disagree with the NWT rendition.
I do not doubt your sincerity, but I disagree with your theology.
That is why I also use the RV/KJV Interlinear and the NASB.
Again I do not doubt your sincerity. For my part, yes I have carefully examined the JW teaching, many workmates, many answering the door and discussions as a result, and reading JW literature. My brief response is that I share some teachings with the JWs, such as a future Kingdom, that man is mortal and does not have an immortal soul, that we await the resurrection, and that there is one God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God. But I differ, as per topics in my thread, and there are many other areas and details where we differ that I have not mentioned. For example we share the bread and the wine each week. I understand that the JWs only celebrate this once a year, and most JWs do not actually partake of this, unless they consider that they are amongst the 144,000.

Kind regards
Trevor

You are correct and thank you for finding the common ground between the two of us. All of the arguing and petty bickering (which I admit I can and do get caught up in) isn't conducive to a conversation between adults who have common sense. And I commend you for carefully examining our literature. That is one of the reasons we talk to people like you. To give them the information they need to make an informed decision about what to believe. As for the differences; of course there are going to be differences, two different religions by their very nature will have them. This calls to mind John Lennon's 'Imagine'. If all the aspects of this world that cause problems (including religion) were instantly done away with, it could be a better world.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
The only one bothered here is the one that is POSING as a "true Christian".

I've been here a while and I'm not going anywhere.
What a depressing thought that is. Too bad you'll never know what it means to 'agree to disagree'. It could have made you a better person.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
I don't get too concerned when a JW heretic tells me how I can be a "better person".
Prior to my coming on this site, did I or any one of JWs ever attack you verbally or physically? (Please provide details). Did I/we call you names, insult your intelligence, make assertions about your heritage, accuse you of anything at all?

If not, why all this hostility?

When you started replying to my posts, everything appeared okay. When it became clear that I'm one of JWs, your attitude changed.

Are you really that shallow that you can't have a civil conversation with someone, including JWs, without bringing out the claws and fangs? I realize that I reacted badly to your reaction, and for that I am sorry.

My only reason for being on TOL is to share what I know to be the truth of the Bible. Maybe you're here for the same reason. Does something so benign make the two of us enemies who have never even met?