How accurate is your Bible translation version?

dcon

BANNED
Banned
We can’t judge accuracy by how literal it is, as a literal translation of idioms can be very misleading.

I prefer the NRSV, and looking at a variety of translations and informed comments on the original languages and situations is beneficial.
That is certainly okay with me. Whatever it takes for people to accurately understand the Bible's message is what they should personally do. Arguing the point, or our beliefs, accomplishes absolutely nothing, and only makes enemies of each other.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

dcon

BANNED
Banned
If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples. Nearly every Christian religion out there uses God or Jesus as God's name. We know that God is a title, not a name, just as President, Congressman, CEO, Mister, Pastor, Priest and Reverend are all titles, not names. It always occurred to me that to only refer to our Creator by His title was impersonal and unfeeling. Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples. Nearly every Christian religion out there uses God or Jesus as God's name. We know that God is a title, not a name, just as President, Congressman, CEO, Mister, Pastor, Priest and Reverend are all titles, not names. It always occurred to me that to only refer to our Creator by His title was impersonal and unfeeling. Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples. Nearly every Christian religion out there uses God or Jesus as God's name. We know that God is a title, not a name, just as President, Congressman, CEO, Mister, Pastor, Priest and Reverend are all titles, not names. It always occurred to me that to only refer to our Creator by His title was impersonal and unfeeling. Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples. Nearly every Christian religion out there uses God or Jesus as God's name. We know that God is a title, not a name, just as President, Congressman, CEO, Mister, Pastor, Priest and Reverend are all titles, not names. It always occurred to me that to only refer to our Creator by His title was impersonal and unfeeling. Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18 18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. Right here the Bible said God had a name. Eventually, I came in contact with Jehovah's Witnesses and asked if this was not only true, but why is His name in there only once? I learned that around the time Jesus was on earth, the Jews evidently began to use other terms instead of Jehovah because of superstitious beliefs. I always felt that to pray to God, shouldn't it be necessary to know him personally? Whenever I spoke to a friend, I used their name, why not Gods name? Then I learned that the modern English pronunciation of the original Jewish name is Jehovah. As far as our incessantly preaching from door to door and to everyone we meet; Matthew 28:19, 20 sums it up: If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples. Nearly every Christian religion out there uses God or Jesus as God's name. We know that God is a title, not a name, just as President, Congressman, CEO, Mister, Pastor, Priest and Reverend are all titles, not names. It always occurred to me that to only refer to our Creator by His title was impersonal and unfeeling. Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples. Nearly every Christian religion out there uses God or Jesus as God's name. We know that God is a title, not a name, just as President, Congressman, CEO, Mister, Pastor, Priest and Reverend are all titles, not names. It always occurred to me that to only refer to our Creator by His title was impersonal and unfeeling. Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples. Nearly every Christian religion out there uses God or Jesus as God's name. We know that God is a title, not a name, just as President, Congressman, CEO, Mister, Pastor, Priest and Reverend are all titles, not names. It always occurred to me that to only refer to our Creator by His title was impersonal and unfeeling. Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples. Nearly every Christian religion out there uses God or Jesus as God's name. We know that God is a title, not a name, just as President, Congressman, CEO, Mister, Pastor, Priest and Reverend are all titles, not names. It always occurred to me that to only refer to our Creator by His title was impersonal and unfeeling. Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18 18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. Right here the Bible said God had a name. Eventually, I came in contact with Jehovah's Witnesses and asked if this was not only true, but why is His name in there only once? I learned that around the time Jesus was on earth, the Jews evidently began to use other terms instead of Jehovah because of superstitious beliefs. I always felt that to pray to God, shouldn't it be necessary to know him personally? Whenever I spoke to a friend, I used their name, why not Gods name? Then I learned that the modern English pronunciation of the original Jewish name is Jehovah. As far as our incessantly preaching from door to door and to everyone we meet; Matthew 28:19, 20 sums it up: If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples.
Nearly every Christian religion out there uses God or Jesus as God's name. We know that God is a title, not a name, just as President, Congressman, CEO, Mister, Pastor, Priest and Reverend are all titles, not names. It always occurred to me that to only refer to our Creator by His title was impersonal and unfeeling.
Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. Right here the Bible said God had a name. Eventually, I came in contact with Jehovah's Witnesses and asked if this was not only true, but why is His name in there only once?
I learned that around the time Jesus was on earth, the Jews evidently began to use other terms instead of Jehovah because of superstitious beliefs. I always felt that to pray to God, shouldn't it be necessary to know him personally? Whenever I spoke to a friend, I used their name, why not Gods name?
Then I learned that the modern English pronunciation of the original Jewish name is Jehovah. As far as our incessantly preaching from door to door and to everyone we meet; Matthew 28:19, 20 sums it up: 19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.
We don't do this to annoy or antagonize people. We love ALL of mankind enough that we endure the ridicule, persecution, slammed doors. Ridicule is something I personally have to work on when I'm online like this. Sometimes, it's easy to react badly when you're not face to face with someone, as some of the posters here have found out.
If you have taken the time to read all of this post, please reply, not with anger or sarcasm, but hopefully, with the same concern and love that I wrote it.

Sorry about that earlier post. I don't know what happened to cause it to print the same post over and over again. It must be those phone gremlins that rear up once in a while.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
This is a fabrication that has spread through the internet, and is never substantiated with a date of the show or the name of the contestant.
The show has contacted by several to confirm the rumor because of this statement floating around the internet and were told the question was not in ANY of their archives.
Sorry.
Thank you for at least doing the research. I quoted it because I thought the person who told me had seen it themselves. That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean it didn't happen. I simply don't have proof that it did.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Thank you for at least doing the research. I quoted it because I thought the person who told me had seen it themselves. That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean it didn't happen. I simply don't have proof that it did.

I also referenced the show because IF it was factual, that statement would have shown that the show's researchers did their due diligence through verification, which is not necessarily the norm today.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
It is not accurate at all. It is garbage. Their agenda in that "translation" was to pervert the Word of God to make it support their FALSE doctrines.
Such anger and animosity! You might want to give yourself a timeout to get a hold of your feelings and understand why you feel this way.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Greetings dcon,Just from casual contact with the NWT, I am aware of a few verses where the NWT is incorrect showing some bias towards the JW theology. The problem then is that JWs by using the NWT almost exclusively, and being convinced that the Spirit guidance of their elders endorses the NWT, become unaware of this error and reinforce their wrong beliefs.

Kind regards
Trevor

The problem then is that JWs by using the NWT almost exclusively, and being convinced that the Spirit guidance of their elders endorses the NWT, become unaware of this error and reinforce their wrong beliefs.

We, as JWs, never assume that what we are taught is fact. Each and every one of us is encouraged to do our own research to prove to ourselves what the Bible says is true. This includes meditating on what we are taught along with reasoning.
We are also encouraged to use other versions, to make sure of the more important things. Philippians 1:10. This can be compared to verifying something from many different angles.
I've spent many years as a member of Assembly of God, the Baptist Church and the Catholic Church. None of these ever taught me about the Bible, much less how to meditate or reason on what the Bible really says.
The truth can ALWAYS be verified, false beliefs require other false beliefs for verification. Bottom line: if something makes sense, it can probably be proven true; if it doesn't make sense or it appears to be a mystery, chances are it's a false teaching or belief. If you take the time to think about it, I'm sure you'll agree with me.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
It is not accurate at all. It is garbage. Their agenda in that "translation" was to pervert the Word of God to make it support their FALSE doctrines.
You continue to make statements you can't validate. You haven't provided any proof of your claims, yet you insist on making them over and over again. I'm certain that anyone who takes the time to compare our attitudes, will see which one of us is the true Christian and which is angry because he hasn't got a spiritual leg to stand on.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
This post calls to mind Revelation 22:18, 19. 18 “I am bearing witness to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll; 19 and if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things that are written about in this scroll.

These scriptures beg the question: will Jehovah hold not only the translators accountable, but the one's who regularly use this as their primary text, claiming that it's the most accurate translation, and in turn, convincing others also?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
This post calls to mind Revelation 22:18, 19. 18 “I am bearing witness to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll; 19 and if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things that are written about in this scroll.

These scriptures beg the question: will Jehovah hold not only the translators accountable, but the one's who regularly use this as their primary text, claiming that it's the most accurate translation, and in turn, convincing others also?

You can trust your King James Bible. :thumb:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Yep. I think you're talking about the NIV. I watched a whole documentary about the changes and omissions in the NIV and many other bibles. It's a New World Order perverted book. The ESV is just as bad. I'll stick with my KJV.

TrevorL

Greetings again dcon,

Before answering your two Posts, I will state my present Bible preferences as per the topic of this thread. I have used a KJV for many years, and have grown accustomed to many of the verses, and even with some interesting verses their position on the page. At home now I read from a KJV/RV Interlinear Bible, and when I go to our meetings I open my KJV on the seat next to me for reference, and keep it open to the chapter that has been read and usually expounded. I use a NASB Study Bible on my lap to read, even if the reader used the KJV. The contrast is helpful. If the speaker turns up another reference, then I use the NASB. This NASB also has some additional notes on the page, Strong’s Concordance at the back, and also a Hebrew and Greek Lexicon for selected words that are highlighted throughout the Bible text. I recommend the RV and the NASB as an improvement on the KJV in many places, including the use of more modern English. I will reduce your Posts in my answer, but I am answering all that you say.
If by JW theology you mean what we teach and follow, you are 100% correct. Any bias is according to what the Bible says, so I suspect what you're referring to is the difference between religious beliefs. If that's the case, let me offer some examples.
Then I read in the KJ at Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. Right here the Bible said God had a name. Eventually, I came in contact with Jehovah's Witnesses and asked if this was not only true, but why is His name in there only once?
Then I learned that the modern English pronunciation of the original Jewish name is Jehovah.
I use “Yahweh” when reading the KJV and other translations as I believe that this is more correct than Jehovah. Please read Rotherham’s introduction as a reasonable explanation of the difference. I would contest that JW theology matches the Bible teaching, though I do not doubt your sincerity. I started a thread “Jehovah Witness Teaching Compared with the Bible”, having a number of topics where I disagreed with the JWs. The last post was on June 14th 2017 and this is now Page 25 of this forum. Topic 4 mentions three passages where I disagree with the NWT rendition.
As far as our incessantly preaching from door to door and to everyone we meet; Matthew 28:19, 20 sums it up:
If you have taken the time to read all of this post, please reply, not with anger or sarcasm, but hopefully, with the same concern and love that I wrote it.
I do not doubt your sincerity, but I disagree with your theology.
The reason the NWT was published is the wording in many Bible translations is often outdated (KJ and NKJ for example). Thought for thought, illustration for illustration, meaning for meaning, the NWT contains the same message as any other Bible. It is simply easier to understand.
That is why I also use the RV/KJV Interlinear and the NASB.
What an education I received when I compared my previously held beliefs with what the Bible really says.
This isn't to say that everyone must follow my example. However, everyone is obligated to do their own research in order to prove to themselves whether we are telling the truth or not.
Again I do not doubt your sincerity. For my part, yes I have carefully examined the JW teaching, many workmates, many answering the door and discussions as a result, and reading JW literature. My brief response is that I share some teachings with the JWs, such as a future Kingdom, that man is mortal and does not have an immortal soul, that we await the resurrection, and that there is one God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God. But I differ, as per topics in my thread, and there are many other areas and details where we differ that I have not mentioned. For example we share the bread and the wine each week. I understand that the JWs only celebrate this once a year, and most JWs do not actually partake of this, unless they consider that they are amongst the 144,000.

Kind regards
Trevor

Right Divider

Body part
You continue to make statements you can't validate. You haven't provided any proof of your claims, yet you insist on making them over and over again. I'm certain that anyone who takes the time to compare our attitudes, will see which one of us is the true Christian and which is angry because he hasn't got a spiritual leg to stand on.
Said like the true POSER that you are.

P.S. Quit replying twice to my posts.