How accurate is your Bible translation version?

dcon

BANNED
Banned
John 1:1-3 KJV

John 1:14 KJV -

Philippians 2:10-11 KJV -

Romans 14:11 KJV -

Isaiah 45:23 KJV -

Revelation 1:7 KJV -

Revelation 5:13 KJV -

Hebrews 13:8 KJV -

You've been told. You had your warning. Be prepared.

Read my signature at the bottom of the post.
I guess your reply means that RD now has a big sister to fight his battles for him.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

glorydaz

No, no. I'm sure it's you. You're so self righteous, you have to be the righteous priest!

I guess your reply means that RD now has a big sister to fight his battles for him.

So let me guess...you've come here to vent all that pent up anger you have to hold in when you're out witnessing. I'm not surprised. I've always suspected that nicey nice was an act....part of an elaborate hoax. Do the folks at the Kingdom Hall know you're over here venting?

We fight our own battles around here. We don't hunt in wolf packs.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
So let me guess...you've come here to vent all that pent up anger you have to hold in when you're out witnessing. I'm not surprised. I've always suspected that nicey nice was an act....part of an elaborate hoax. Do the folks at the Kingdom Hall know you're over here venting?

Every time I read dcon I think of rats.

Right Divider

Body part
Thanks for the apology would mean something if the rest of the message wasn't so acidic.

You, never show any compassion for anyone in your posts.
Once again, your opinion is poor.

One of your main issues here, appears to be the name, Jehovah. Everyone has a name and sometimes even a title. God is a title, not a name. LORD is a title, not a name. Messiah is a title, not a name. Lord is a title, not a name. Dcon is a title, not a name. Right Divider is a title not a name.
Dcon and Right Divider are NOT titles, they are names (user names for this site).

Whether you like it or not, Jehovah is a name, Jesus is a name, I have a name, you obviously have a name. You definitely don't accept Jehovah as God's name, but that doesn't mean that it isn't.
When did I say that I didn't like it?

You could spend your entire life trying to prove my beliefs incorrect, and never even scratch the surface.
You have THAT many false beliefs? I won't waste my time disproving them all.

Jesus is the Son of God and the promised Messiah. He is the ruler of his Father's Kingdom in heaven.
Jesus is God in the flesh, just like the Bible says.

Very soon, people with attitudes such as yours, will have to know that God is Jehovah just before your destruction.
I'm eternally secure in the LORD Jesus Christ. You don't scare me with your FALSE teaching and VAIN threats.

Allow me to list the verses that relate to that, so it won't be a surprise when it happens.

Isaiah 49:23, 26
Ezekiel 6:10
Ezekiel 6:10, 13, 14
Ezekiel 7:27
Ezekiel 12:15, 16
Ezekiel 13:9, 21
Ezekiel 15:7
Ezekiel 20:38
Ezekiel 23:49
Ezekiel 24:27
Ezekiel 25:11, 17
Ezekiel 28:23, 26
Ezekiel 29:6, 9, 16, 21
Ezekiel 30:8, 19, 25, 26
Ezekiel 32:15
Ezekiel 33:29
Ezekiel 34:27, 30
Ezekiel 35:15
Ezekiel 36:11, 38
Ezekiel 38:23
Ezekiel 39:6, 28

You must understand that these are not threats. Jehovah never does anything without giving people advance warning. But they are promises meant only for those who refuse to change.
I'm saved and eternally secure. You're the one that has destruction coming. Get ready.

Everyone has the choice to accept or refuse, only in this case, if you refuse, you die. You don't have to believe me. Just be prepared for it when it happens. That's it.
I accept truth and reject error.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Allow me to clarify some of the statements you have made for your benefit and other's too.

We do not have temples. We have Kingdom Halls where everyone is invited.
It doesn't really matter what you call it, does it?

We do not automatically disfellowship someone who commits a serious sin. If, however, a baptized Witness makes a practice of breaking the Bible’s moral code and does not repent, he or she will be shunned or disfellowshipped. The Bible clearly states: “Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.”—1 Corinthians 5:13.
It is the elders who determine how serious the offense is. What is serious to them might be trivial to others so there is no standard to determine "serious."

I've known of many Witnesses who've been disfellowshipped, realized that the act they were engaged in was truly wrong, and after a prescribed time period were allowed to associate with the congregation again. It's called disciplining in righteousness.
Tell me, what did the woman do wrong when her husband was beating her and cheating on her? What did she do wrong when she went to her elders for help and they refused? What did a young man with mental issues do wrong? He needed help and his church kicked him out.

What of a man who is disfellowshipped but whose wife and children are still Jehovah’s Witnesses? The religious ties he had with his family change, but blood ties remain. The marriage relationship and normal family affections and dealings continue.
When my friends sister was disfellowshipped the elders told her mother and her other sister that they could no longer speak to her or they would be disfellowshipped as well. The church failed to help her and she suffered emensilly for it. Still does.

Disfellowshipped individuals may attend our religious services. If they wish, they may also receive spiritual counsel from congregation elders. The goal is to HELP each individual once more to qualify to be one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Disfellowshipped people who reject improper conduct and demonstrate a sincere desire to live by the Bible’s standards are always welcome to become members of the congregation again.
Sure they can attend but the congregation is not allowed to speak to them at risk of being disfellowshipped. Would you want to go to a church where everybody pointedly ignores you?

The elders who handled the individual cases you spoke of, and the people who were disfellowshiped, are the only ones who are supposed to know exactly what occurred, because it allows the offender to retain as much of their dignity as possible. As such, it's none of my, yours or anyone else's business what went on. There is no Monday morning quarterbacking in the congregation.
People talk. My friend, who left the JW's and converted to Catholicism, talks to her sister. Her sister needed the support and my friend was free to help her.

The outcome of someone's disfellowshipping is no one's fault except the offenders. That would be like blaming someone else because you robbed a bank and you were put in prison. The elders are not psychiatrists or psychologists. They take all of the information available for each situation and make a decision based on the person's attitude of repentance or unrepentance, using the Bible and earnest prayer. It never happens overnight or hastily.
The sister was being beat and cheated on by her husband. Why was she disfellowshipped for his acts AGAINST her? SOunds like the elders are poorly qualified.

As for family dinners, most every Witness around the world came from another religion and find that it's oftentimes hard to make an immediate break with their former traditions. So they have the family over a day or two after a holiday. Some have family get togethers after holidays because that's when everyone is off work, or when everyone's schedule permits it. Bottom line is that it's their conscience, personal decision and business, just as your choosing to celebrate any holidays you prefer to. The same applies to birthdays. In my experience, it's usually unbelieving parents and grandparents who give children gifts the day after. Witnesses normally give their children and grandchildren gifts year round.
So its okay to tell yourself whatever you need to tell yourself to make you feel better about going against the teachings of your church.

As for defending our translation, I suppose you would to, especially if it was as accurate as the NWT.
I never defend a particular translation as being the best or most accurate. It is not possible to make such a claim as there is no way to evaluate the veracity of such a claim. For many of the books of the Bible the true originals no longer exist. How do you determine if your translation is the best if the standard by which MUST be judged no longer exists.

Which translation is best, in general, the translation that you will actually read is the best. That is where God will meet you. Caution must be exercised as translations such as the Gay Bible are agenda based, not God based and can lead people astray. Look for a translation done by people striving to understand what God actually said without their own agenda will serve you best. The NWT is more of an agenda bible that an accurate translation.

eleos

Original languages they were written in and translated from.

1 Corinthians 2:14

The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Right Divider

Body part
Original languages they were written in and translated from.

1 Corinthians 2:14

The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.
The CONTEXT of 1 Cor 2:14 is NOT human languages. Illogical arguments abound.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
It doesn't really matter what you call it, does it?

It is the elders who determine how serious the offense is. What is serious to them might be trivial to others so there is no standard to determine "serious."

Tell me, what did the woman do wrong when her husband was beating her and cheating on her? What did she do wrong when she went to her elders for help and they refused? What did a young man with mental issues do wrong? He needed help and his church kicked him out.

When my friends sister was disfellowshipped the elders told her mother and her other sister that they could no longer speak to her or they would be disfellowshipped as well. The church failed to help her and she suffered emensilly for it. Still does.

Sure they can attend but the congregation is not allowed to speak to them at risk of being disfellowshipped. Would you want to go to a church where everybody pointedly ignores you?

People talk. My friend, who left the JW's and converted to Catholicism, talks to her sister. Her sister needed the support and my friend was free to help her.

The sister was being beat and cheated on by her husband. Why was she disfellowshipped for his acts AGAINST her? SOunds like the elders are poorly qualified.

So its okay to tell yourself whatever you need to tell yourself to make you feel better about going against the teachings of your church.

I never defend a particular translation as being the best or most accurate. It is not possible to make such a claim as there is no way to evaluate the veracity of such a claim. For many of the books of the Bible the true originals no longer exist. How do you determine if your translation is the best if the standard by which MUST be judged no longer exists.

Which translation is best, in general, the translation that you will actually read is the best. That is where God will meet you. Caution must be exercised as translations such as the Gay Bible are agenda based, not God based and can lead people astray. Look for a translation done by people striving to understand what God actually said without their own agenda will serve you best. The NWT is more of an agenda bible that an accurate translation.

I wasn't there, nor were you. So second guessing serves no purpose here. All we have is what someone reported about my friend's sister or whatever. This is comparable to second guessing a court decision when we were no where near the court.

I have been a JW for 45 years, and have never heard of any unjust situations like the ones you talk about. Sure, situations like those took place, but the discipline was warranted.

The act of disfellowshipping is similar to sending a kid to his room, until he changes his attitude. Here were talking about adults needing to change their attitudes. This whole process is exactly what the Bible says we should be doing.

When someone is disfellowshipped, the purpose is to keep the congregation clean from those attitudes.

As for which translation is best, there is no best. Most accurate, yes, but best doesn't apply. Using words and phrases that people commonly use today, does not in any way change the meaning or message.

The KJV was translated to the language that people spoke at that time. Other translations were offered in easier to read languages for their time. The NWT is exactly the same. It's not the Bible for JWs only, it's a translation for everyone.

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Once again, your opinion is poor.

Dcon and Right Divider are NOT titles, they are names (user names for this site).

When did I say that I didn't like it?

You have THAT many false beliefs? I won't waste my time disproving them all.

Jesus is God in the flesh, just like the Bible says.

I'm eternally secure in the LORD Jesus Christ. You don't scare me with your FALSE teaching and VAIN threats.

I'm saved and eternally secure. You're the one that has destruction coming. Get ready.

I accept truth and reject error.
Nothing to see here, I'm moving along.

dcon

BANNED
Banned

I only react when I'm attacked. If that hurts your feelings, suck it up, buttercup!