Homeschooled and proud of it!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's time to think about that engineering career again, Nori! :thumb:

She keeps changing her mind. :chuckle: She asked me, today, if I thought my mechanic would take her on as an apprentice. She hasn't wanted to be a mechanic since she was about thirteen and saw how hard it was for them to get their nails clean.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Socialization is the primary argument I hear from opponents of home schooling, and even some people who are for it still have that hang up. And my best argument is that the social skills of the home schooled kids I know are far better then the kids I know who went to public school.

And on top of that in a home school environment the parents are better informed about the people their children are socializing with.

And the most ignored fact is that just because a kid may not be friends with another kid that does not mean they are not socializing with them. Public schooling forces you to interact with all sorts, even the bad kids. And even if your children are not friends with the bad kids, if they get paired with one of them on a project their grades can suffer, just the same as if they were being influenced to ignore their work.

The Berean

She keeps changing her mind. :chuckle: She asked me, today, if I thought my mechanic would take her on as an apprentice. She hasn't wanted to be a mechanic since she was about thirteen and saw how hard it was for them to get their nails clean.

Sounds like she's a mechanical engineer in waiting! :banana:. Seriously, have her PM and I describe to her what I do as a senior mechanical engineer at my company, Space Systems/Loral. Tell her I design and build these $100 million babies.

More photos here and here and here and here.

1PeaceMaker

My sister has dyslexia. She was in second grade (I think) when her teachers told my mother that she would never read and put her in a special ed class to watch TV all day. Mom promptly took her out and homeschooled her until she was in 5th grade and was ready to be mainstreamed.

I was homeschooled for a few years as a teen, and it was a relief from the social environment of public school. I didn't enjoy the PS system. The kids were very corrupted and the teachers tried to discourage me from expressing my religion, which I let them know was a violation of my rights. I ended up winning the little skirmish, but I was so depressed about the system and didn't have enough home-supervision with homework to excel in that environment, so I was very relieved to finally start homeschooling.

My kids are all homeschooled and so far I have an apparently dyslexic kid who is thriving and one grade ahead of her peers, and another who is 8 years old, but she is in 4th grade and doing very well. She's read practically all the Nancy Drew books, Pony Pal books, Hardy Boys, and all the Harry potter books plus a few others. She is starting to learn to take charge of some of her learning (with supervision, of course) and I am very proud of her progress. I also have a little boy who acts really eager for any chance to use his school books. He's 5 but already in first grade.

As far as socialization, our kids do very well playing with each other and other children their age. They also know how to talk to adults in a respectful, polite and engaging manner, and they are very good with my babies.

I certainly have no complaints about how homeschooling has served my family.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I deeply regret going to public school. It ended up making me deceitful, selfish, hateful, bitter, vain, fearful... basically an incredibly miserable person.

This is our 16th year of homeschooling and I'm so thankful that I can be with my kids, teaching them daily which is my duty as a parent. I'm thankful that we have fun together and that even though they are involved in many activities, they actually enjoy the times when we can be together as a family and we have a blast.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I deeply regret going to public school. It ended up making me deceitful, selfish, hateful, bitter, vain, fearful... basically an incredibly miserable person.
Haven't you learned from other's mistakes? You really shouldn't set yourself up like that.

QueenAtHome

We homeschool all our children.
I decided when I was in highschool that I wasn't going to have my children put up with the same stuff.
I am too lazy to list them, so if you are really interested, do a search.

I have a great relationship with my kids and I think a big part of it is the fact that we are together.

I also love being able to learn with my children all the amazing things that ps just doesn't have the time to teach.

Having a flexible schedule is a bonus.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
always_learning said:
High school most certainly can be rough - but you shouldn't shelter your kids completely.

And once again, I agree with your point, but not your method :) we could get along well!

It seems to me that there are better ways of "unsheltering" your kids than sending them to high school... but i suppose for this discussion I should start another thread

We certainly don't shelter our kids completely. We let them go outside of the house a few times a year. Our first outing was a disaster.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37589

I'm pleased to say that Zach is now able to stay outside the big door for a longer length of time.

The last time we we went to the park I looked over and discovered that he actually got the courage to go over to somebody and strike up a conversation. I was so excited that I just had to go and witness this closer. Unfortunately I discovered that the "person" he was talking to was actually a statue in the middle of the park.

But hey, it's a start! :thumb:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
We certainly don't shelter our kids completely. We let them go outside of the house a few times a year. Our first outing was a disaster.

I'm pleased to say that Zach is now able to stay outside the big door for a longer length of time.

The last time we we went to the park I looked over and discovered that he actually got the courage to go over to somebody and strike up a conversation. I was so excited that I just had to go and witness this closer. Unfortunately I discovered that the "person" he was talking to was actually a statue in the middle of the park.

:chuckle:

QueenAtHome

Glad to hear that Zach is improving and can feel safe talking to statues.

JoyfulRook

I'm graduating high school at the end of this month... I've been homeschooled all the way through and wouldn't have it any other way! Thanks mom and dad for caring enough about me to keep me away from the Godless public schools.

icilian fenner

Public school gave me some of the strongest friends I'm likely to have. But my parents would have beaten the standard of education I got 1000 times over. Not that it was bad, but my parents are the bomb. :p

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm graduating high school at the end of this month... I've been homeschooled all the way through and wouldn't have it any other way! Thanks mom and dad for caring enough about me to keep me away from the Godless public schools.
How old are you now?

BladesofMercy

I was homeschooled since I was very young. I graduated and now in college working on my bachelors. I thank God for being homeschooled and protected from some of what happens in public schools and was able to develop close relation with my parents and siblings. (But I do admit that I was jealous of the public schooler getting sick days and snow days. LOL)