Hello from a non-religious new person

reasonator

John Mortimer
"Repentance with regard to what, exactly?" Sin, and a sin nature

"Acceptance of what or whom?" Jesus as the Son of God and God incarnate, and as the propitiation of that sin -- the once for all final sacrifice

Of course, the above answers were what I believed at the time.

"Devotion to God, or a mental image of God?" Well, this is begging the question, to a degree. But at the time, devotion to what I believed to be the very real God -- creator of the universe and lord over it.

I suspected there would be a lot of Christian posters who would not believe I was a true believer years ago, and that is what has happened in this thread. I suspected it, because I saw it from the other side. There seems to be a refusal to give someone the benefit of the doubt when they say they were a Christian, and understood what that meant, and then had a change of mind later and rejected it. I'm not sure if that is because of a refusal to think someone could hold they same beliefs they do now, and then come to disagree with those beliefs, or if for some other reason.

Nevertheless, I am not all too concerned with whether people believe I was the real deal or not. I know for myself, and ultimately it doesn't affect any future debate or discussion I might have. But I do think it's somewhat sad to take someone at their word, particularly when they offer reasons and evidence of that former belief.

As I said before, I do know that the majority of those people who claim to be Christian do not really know what being a Christian means or entails. They call themselves that because that is how they were raised, or they think they were born into it. If you asked them basic questions about the Bible, or what Jesus' death did for them, they will give you a blank stare. So I understand the suspicion, but when I've taken care to provide the evidence of my legitimate faith and understanding of what I believed then was done for me on the cross, I am still not believed. Oh well.

voltaire
"Do you know what a Christian is? Yes. Someone who is a follower of Christ, who has accepted his free gift of eternal life by letting Jesus be the bearer of that person's sin by being the sacrifice for that sin, and letting his perfect holiness with reference to God's law be imputed to you. You were serious about what? My faith, as opposed to someone who simply calls themselves a Christian without the first clue of what Christianity is or entails. Why? It's what I believed at the time. What exactly did you believe?" Answered above.

"I attended and graduated from seminary with a master's in divinity. Why? Because you thought that was the christian thing to do?" No. why would you assume that? This is an example trying to attribute thoughts to me that are not my own, and hence a bit of a strawman. I went to seminary because It's what I wanted to do, and more importantly, because I thought I had a calling to it from God.

"How would you know if you were the real thing or not? What is a christian?" Do you know if you are really a Christian? In the same way, I knew then that I was really a Christian. I was as sure of my eternal state as you presumably are now. Also, I answered this above in this post.

"Then, why did you reject their reasonings and writings? Because at the time I believed they were wrong. I still believe many atheists are wrong on a great many points. But, as people are want to do at times, I changed, and changed my belief system based on what I believe now is a better understanding of things.Was it that sense of tribalism you referred to earlier? Was it because they you had a very good rational reason to reject them? I thought I did at the time.Did you even seriously consider the merits of their arguments?" I did. I've read numerous apologetic and philosophical works both by theists and nontheists during my time as a Christian and studies as a Christian apologist.

"How can you have a personal relationship with an entity that you have no rational reason to believe even exists? If God does exist and the Bible is true, then you can have a personal relationship with him. If he does not exist, then you cannot. I thought I had a personal relationship with him at the time, and lived my life accordingly. I believe now that I was talking to air.From what I have heard, you never took the time to even consider the rationality for even his existence. I'm not sure what you've been reading, then. I've mentioned already that I studied in a seminary setting, have a master's of divinity in theology, and have considered the major arguments, such as the cosmological, teleological, moral, and transcendental arguments (and others). I also was among the beginning members of the apologetics club at my seminary. I've also been a presenter at a Christian apologetics conference. So again, I'm not sure how you could say that I've never considered the rationality for God's existence.
Anybody can believe in imaginary friends, that doesn't mean they have a real relationship with the very real creator of the universe. Agreed. And I addressed this above"

"You actually had a sincere relationship with a figment of your imagination." Well, on this point we agree.

People can have very real subjective psychological experiences. Agreed, which is the basis for why I believed I had an experience with Jesus to begin with. Calling those subjective feelings and psychological experiences a real Christian experience is unwarranted though. Again, in this we agree somewhat. Because I no longer believe in a "real Christian experience" in that I believe all Christian experiences are based on subjective, emotional experience, rather than reality. But I assure you, my experience at the time was authentic to me at the time. But because I have changed my mind years later, you refuse to believe my experience could be authentic of any sort.

Town Heretic
"Isn't that a sort of proud position to take on something of that importance? What do you think is proud? that I had some misgivings about modern-day church polity? Or that I had some theological differences with other Christians?

"Right. Now consider this: let's say you're married and you love your wife. You're faithful and trusting and have been since the day you married. Now then, one day I happen by. I'm divorced, but I tell you that I loved my wife as well, relate that I fell in love, that I was wed and devoted and if anything had qualms about the seriousness with which my brethren approached the institution. Then, one day I slept with my secretary. How kindred would you feel?" All that to say you don't feel a kindred connection with my disbelief? I figured that was a given if you are currently a Christian.

"Were you this proud and condescending to the faithful you refused to serve after graduating from seminary? I think I've found your difficulty and the thing that you reserved between you and that experience of God. You poor, rich young ruler you... " I'm not sure where I've been proud or condescending. I'm also not sure how you feel justified in drawing a conclusion that I related to people in my congregation poorly, or with condescension toward them. However, I am proud of my seminary work and my apologetics studies. I don't feel bad about that pride. Speaking of condescending, you are now comparing me to the rich young ruler of the Bible, but instead of riches, it is my pride that I cannot give up in order to be saved? That's about as condescending as it gets.

Bybee
"It is highly likely that you are "one of those people [who have no clue what it's like to "have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ," or to experience true repentance and acceptance and devotion.]" Why do you say it's highly likely I am one of "those people"? If I were one of those people, could I describe my ignorant condition in so accurate a way as I have done in describing how "those people" think?
Many people do have a clue as what constitutes Christian belief. Agreed. But you won't give me the benefit of the doubt that I, too, have a clue of what constitutes Christian belief.
I like to believe when someone or something is believable. You, at this point, have a way to go.I've done all that one can reasonably do to convince you and others that I was a genuine follower of Christ, and understood what that meant and what his work on the Cross meant for my sin and eternal salvation. I'm curious, what more could I do to convince you otherwise? not that I will entertain your requests, because as I said before, It really doesn't matter all that much if you think I was a true Christian, or only thought I was a true Christian.

keypurr

I’m looking forward to some good discussions in this forum, and to getting to know some of the regular posters -- and becoming one, myself.

Some background:

I’m non-religious, but used to be a Christian. I realize that some may be skeptical about how “Christian” I actually was. To use some Christian terms, I had what I believed to be a personal relationship with Jesus, and had a salvation experience and commitment of my life as a disciple of Christ. I was also baptized in my local church. Later in life, I felt a calling to the ministry. I attended a well-established seminary and graduated with a master’s of divinity in Christian theology in 2004. I was particularly interested (and still am) in koine Greek, textual criticism, and theology. I taught Sunday schools, taught youth at discipleship weekend retreats, taught singles and young adults, helped lead worship for Sunday school classes and Christian get-togethers, and delivered sermons in churches when asked to. By any account, I was as Christian (with a personal faith and assurance of salvation) as they get.

Shortly before I graduated, I had some misgivings about the modern Church, and how churches are often operated more as businesses and less as I thought they were intended to be. I also felt most Christians had missed the boat on eschatology. But that for another time. I still had a personal faith, but I had no desire to minister in an official capacity at the time of graduation. So, I went to work in a secular field, as a journalist, and do so to this day.

About a year after my graduation from seminary, I began to question my own faith and the reasons for believing. I realized how easy it is for humans to be convinced of supernatural events, but recognized that there were a lot of problems and inconsistencies with belief in the supernatural and with belief in the God Christianity and belief in other religions. After a long time of reflection, I gave up all religious belief. I’ve never been happier or at more peace with myself than I am now.

Nice to meet everyone.

Welcome to TOL friend.

I have been where you are. At one time I was an agnostic. Then a person came into my life and explained to me how and why he was a Christian. He got me to consider prophecy. I know that prophecy can be very intensive and different. But he showed me the book of Daniel and explained what he thought. He was a Seventh Day Adventist. Any way, he got me thinking that there just might be a clue who God (if there is one) really is. It took me many years to develope my faith. But that is just what it is, faith. No one can prove that God exists but it does make a lot of sense to me. I no longer claim to be a member of any church as I think they have distorted the Holy Scriptures. I may be wrong but at least I stand on what I think the good book says.

So welcome to the Jungle and feel free to join us in our search for truth.

Peace

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Isn't that a sort of proud position to take on something of that importance?"
...What do you think is proud? that I had some misgivings about modern-day church polity? Or that I had some theological differences with other Christians?
No. That you set it out like so:

I also felt most Christians had missed the boat on eschatology.
You just elevated yourself. You do it again when you lay out credentials. Nothing wrong with being learned or letting people know your background, but you use it in a different context, almost as an appeal to your own authority and, here, one you prize above the majority of Christendom.

"Right. Now consider this: let's say you're married and you love your wife. You're faithful and trusting and have been since the day you married. Now then, one day I happen by. I'm divorced, but I tell you that I loved my wife as well, relate that I fell in love, that I was wed and devoted and if anything had qualms about the seriousness with which my brethren approached the institution. Then, one day I slept with my secretary. How kindred would you feel?"

All that to say you don't feel a kindred connection with my disbelief? I figured that was a given if you are currently a Christian.
No. All that to illustrate what you only just did here and the reasonable response you might expect if you were inclined to see the other side of it. A pretty clear parallel for someone with your education to miss. You might want to ask yourself why that is.

I'm not sure where I've been proud or condescending.
Then let me clarify the point. You set out your qualifications in your opening and it's understandable. But in doing so the first flash of that pride is found in:

By any account, I was as Christian (with a personal faith and assurance of salvation) as they get.
By any account? No, and needlessly authoritative, but hardly damning on the point in and of itself. But then, it doesn't stand alone. To continue...

I realized how easy it is for humans to be convinced of supernatural events, but recognized
You mean other humans, your having rid yourself of it, as you attested prior. Continues the trend and picks up the condescending note begun in the needless:

I also felt most Christians had missed the boat on eschatology

And then there's the reduction of Christendom to an intellectual curiosity, empty of value to you else:
...other than the ability to have regular, interesting theological discussions, I don't miss anything about my former faith.
That's the form absent substance. You miss discussions about a thing you have no belief concerning and are indifferent to the rest, which would be where the obligatory and substantive are found.

The whole of post 12 is, by turns, restatement of your previously set out qualifications and further illustration of your distinguishing yourself from others, laying claim to what can be had in Christendom whether we like it or not.

I'm also not sure how you feel justified in drawing a conclusion that I related to people in my congregation poorly, or with condescension toward them.
I was speaking to your relation here and reflection of your attitude regarding the larger part of the faithful as per your descriptions. I have no idea how you related to the people you congregated with, though it doesn't seem to have helped you any.

However, I am proud of my seminary work and my apologetics studies.
Right. But why? Examining that only supports the pride/vanity connection I've made above.

I don't feel bad about that pride.
Who suggested else?

Speaking of condescending, you are now comparing me to the rich young ruler of the Bible, but instead of riches, it is my pride that I cannot give up in order to be saved? That's about as condescending as it gets.
No. It would be condescending if I related that I have a superior education or insinuated a greater depth of understanding or intelligence instead of making an observation that is easier from my distance than it likely would be for you, unable to put distance between you and...well, you.

:e4e:

csuguy

I'm sorry you fell away. It sounds like you are a victim of something very common in the church: most treat it as a social club and buisness rather than what it should be; a place of worship where we focus on doing God's work. In addition, the churches like to keep their congregations as 'spiritual babes' - never growing strong enough for spiritual meat.

It is good to hear that you haven't given it up completely though, even if you only retain your desire to seek truth and debate theology. I pray that TOL will be a place of healing for you where you can re-analyze yourself and your analysis of the weaknesses of your old faith.

Welcome to TOL

Refractive

I realize there are heaps of people who think they are Christian, but in reality have no clue what it's like to "have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ," or to experience true repentance and acceptance and devotion. I, however, am not one of those people. I experienced those things, whether you like to believe that I did or not.
But obviously you did not, as you are now an atheist. So you had a relationship with ..... your own imagination?

What would have made you think you ever had such a relationship in the first place?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome.

I’ve never been happier or at more peace with myself than I am now.

Perhaps you're just feeling more restful (instead of happier) since you are no longer seeking.
It's hard to imagine that someone is actually "happy" about the way the world is now.

Of course I'm biased since I want everyone to experience the eternal peace that God offers.
:D

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
exploring new realms...............

exploring new realms...............

~*~*~

Welcome to the Forum :)

pj

zoo22

I’m looking forward to some good discussions in this forum, and to getting to know some of the regular posters -- and becoming one, myself.

Some background:

I’m non-religious, but used to be a Christian. I realize that some may be skeptical about how “Christian” I actually was. To use some Christian terms, I had what I believed to be a personal relationship with Jesus, and had a salvation experience and commitment of my life as a disciple of Christ. I was also baptized in my local church. Later in life, I felt a calling to the ministry. I attended a well-established seminary and graduated with a master’s of divinity in Christian theology in 2004. I was particularly interested (and still am) in koine Greek, textual criticism, and theology. I taught Sunday schools, taught youth at discipleship weekend retreats, taught singles and young adults, helped lead worship for Sunday school classes and Christian get-togethers, and delivered sermons in churches when asked to. By any account, I was as Christian (with a personal faith and assurance of salvation) as they get.

Shortly before I graduated, I had some misgivings about the modern Church, and how churches are often operated more as businesses and less as I thought they were intended to be. I also felt most Christians had missed the boat on eschatology. But that for another time. I still had a personal faith, but I had no desire to minister in an official capacity at the time of graduation. So, I went to work in a secular field, as a journalist, and do so to this day.

About a year after my graduation from seminary, I began to question my own faith and the reasons for believing. I realized how easy it is for humans to be convinced of supernatural events, but recognized that there were a lot of problems and inconsistencies with belief in the supernatural and with belief in the God Christianity and belief in other religions. After a long time of reflection, I gave up all religious belief. I’ve never been happier or at more peace with myself than I am now.

Nice to meet everyone.

Hi and welcome. I'm interested to read your contributions to TOL.

zippy2006

Because I didn't think through all the issues then as well as I do now. Also, there was a psychological impetus to keep me believing in my faith, because I had a strong Christian friend base.

One thing I've learned is that people tend to give in to tribalism when it comes to things like sports teams, hometown pride, national pride, and worldviews. When you feel like you belong to a certain tribe, it is difficult to seriously and honestly entertain arguments and facts contrary to that tribalism and worldview. This is of course true also of all worldviews, including non-religious ones. But, I believe it was this tribalism, in part, that helped encourage my belief at the time.

Welcome :wave2:

How do you currently feel about the fallen state of man?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Because I didn't think through all the issues then as well as I do now. Also, there was a psychological impetus to keep me believing in my faith, because I had a strong Christian friend base.

One thing I've learned is that people tend to give in to tribalism :sozo:(YOU SHOULD HAVE REAISED THIS BEFORE THE END OF HIGH SCHOOL!) when it comes to things like sports teams, hometown pride, national pride, and worldviews. When you feel like you belong to a certain tribe, it is difficult to seriously and honestly entertain arguments and facts contrary to that tribalism and worldview. This is of course true also of all worldviews, including non-religious ones. But, I believe it was this tribalism, in part, that helped encourage my belief at the time.
Now does it seem you wasted your time, studying theology, when you could have pursued a degree in business or engineering? :idunno:

Mike C.

Welcome to TOL. :e4e: You seem well-spoken, so I look forward to your contribution of high-quality posts to the site. Please don't turn into mush after the first week as has happened to some around here who became too emotionally involved in the arguments.

I’m non-religious, but used to be a Christian. I realize that some may be skeptical about how “Christian” I actually was.
I suspected there would be a lot of Christian posters who would not believe I was a true believer years ago, and that is what has happened in this thread. I suspected it, because I saw it from the other side. There seems to be a refusal to give someone the benefit of the doubt when they say they were a Christian, and understood what that meant, and then had a change of mind later and rejected it. I'm not sure if that is because of a refusal to think someone could hold they same beliefs they do now, and then come to disagree with those beliefs, or if for some other reason.
Many Christians believe either in OSAS, in "perseverance of the saints" (to which I hold), or that something so life-changing as salvation cannot be undone, even if later rejected mentally. 1 John 2:19 is pretty suggestive of this principle:

1 John 2:19
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Many other Christians, on the other hand, have no problem thinking that true Christians can fall away. You'll will find both types of opinions on TOL.

To use some Christian terms, I had what I believed to be a personal relationship with Jesus, and had a salvation experience and commitment of my life as a disciple of Christ. I was also baptized in my local church. Later in life, I felt a calling to the ministry. I attended a well-established seminary and graduated with a master’s of divinity in Christian theology in 2004. I was particularly interested (and still am) in koine Greek, textual criticism, and theology. I taught Sunday schools, taught youth at discipleship weekend retreats, taught singles and young adults, helped lead worship for Sunday school classes and Christian get-togethers, and delivered sermons in churches when asked to. By any account, I was as Christian (with a personal faith and assurance of salvation) as they get.

I don't wish to be as one who cynically rejects the sincerity of your former beliefs. You certainly seemed sincere based on the information you provided us. But the highlighted parts don't jive with my understanding of salvation, so I'll bring it up anyhow.

I have often wondered after my conversion if it would stand up to rational scrutiny if I didn't regard the emotional commitment it created in me. If it didn't stand up, I was prepared to accept that God just does not give rational certainty to anyone, even the saved. After thinking about the issue often, I came to a slightly different conclusion than I expected. As emotionally charged as the event was, I cannot deny the authenticity of the experience itself - to wit, that I was given a new life at that moment and experienced a peace beyond my own ability to manufacture. That does not give me rational certainty, but neither does it give room for rational doubt. That is, I could be cynical about my own experience if I so chose, but it would not be a rationally-based decision. Likewise, as true as my experience was, it does not give me rational certainty that God was behind it, but it gives me, as it were, evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. You have a different perspective on your own experience, and obviously I cannot compare the two intimately enough to know how alike they really are.

So that aside, what really doesn't make sense to me with your testimony is that you said you are now happier and more at peace than you ever were. At my salvation, I experiences a peace and happiness that I don't think is even possible for me anymore. That is, it was transcendent. I think of it as a glimpse into heaven. If I ever stopped being a Christian (though I think that impossible), I know I would never again experience anything like it since there would be nothing to create that intense of an experience again. If I were in your shoes I could not say I was currently at my happiest, I could only say I was at my truest, and that the truth was not as meaningful as the fantasy. Maybe you didn't mean you are truly happiest now, but were only comparing your current feelings to the period of your growing discontent with Christianity - I don't know. But I just can't reconcile that little bit of info with what I personally know about salvation. I would be interested in learning if you also consider the moment of your "salvation" to be the truly happiest of your life, even if you currently regard it as a delusion.

Mike

reasonator

Welcome :wave2:

How do you currently feel about the fallen state of man?

Since I don't believe in the supernatural any longer, I don't believe man is in a fallen state. I believe man just is -- another organism in the universe. This question would naturally turn to the objectivity or subjectivity of moral values. I don't believe that moral values are objective outside of the moral apparatus that has evolved in humans.

Thanks for the welcome.

reasonator

Now does it seem you wasted your time, studying theology, when you could have pursued a degree in business or engineering? :idunno:

Some yes, some no. At times I wonder what my life would be like if I had chosen a different kind of degree or life path. But I don't often give it a whole lot of thought. (I do have an undergrad in journalism, and I am using it now.)

Mostly, though, I am glad I went through the process and have my degree in theology. Though I'm not religious now, I still love the subject of theology, and I love the history of Christianity, and I love koine Greek. I was studying koine Greek in my undergrad before I decided to go to seminary. I still love to review Greek. (Everybody has their unusual hobbies :) )

I like to write, and now my life's path has taken me to a point where I have writing, editorial, and journalism experience, and I have my theology background. I'd love to combine those.

reasonator

what really doesn't make sense to me with your testimony is that you said you are now happier and more at peace than you ever were. At my salvation, I experiences a peace and happiness that I don't think is even possible for me anymore. That is, it was transcendent. I think of it as a glimpse into heaven.

I understand what you are saying. I did experience high points of happiness that are hard to describe to people who have never experienced them. I went to the One Day conferences, and the experiences of praise and happiness and communion with god were like nothing else. I listened to John Piper's sermons regularly, and later became a big fan of him and his theology. The descriptions of God's holiness that he expounded on from the Bible filled me with a sense of awe, and a sense of smallness in comparison to the majesty of God. There were moments of praise where I felt broken, that I could not do it on my own, and felt amazing hapiness that I didn't have to, that Christ had done it for me. There were times where my heart was rent, and joy poured out. I could go on, but I think you understand.

I remember those days and moments well. So yes, in a sense you are right. I hardly feel as though I reach those heights of emotion and joy. But now I believe that those emotions were human emotions, and nothing of them were based in anything supernatural or outside of the chemical makeup of my brain.We all know the way the chemicals of drugs, illicit or otherwise, can change the way we feel about ourselves and the world.

I had my gall bladder removed a few months ago. The chemicals they gave me before surgery made me feel completely different, and at ease, before I went under the knife. Our brain is able to produce chemicals as well, and if we can experience a small amount of joy from non-supernatural means, then it is not surprising to me that we can feel great heights of joy from non-supernatural means, as well. There are plenty of other believers of other religions, who likewise experience heights of emotions: Muslims, Mormons (with their warm feeling in their chest), Hindus, Buddhists, etc. You wouldn't accept the emotions they legitimately feel as evidence of the veracity of the experiences they've had, would you? I simply expand that to one other religion.

So, I still get happy and sad, and I do have great heights of joyous emotion at times even now, but perhaps not as regularly as when I was praising God in my everyday life. But I feel better about my state -- more balanced. My joyous states are over things that I know are real, they are from relationships with actual people. And I can honestly say I feel more content, and more at peace with myself, and at peace with the fact that there is nothing outside of the natural realm, and I have only this one life to live. I am happy about it.

zippy2006

Since I don't believe in the supernatural any longer, I don't believe man is in a fallen state. I believe man just is -- another organism in the universe. This question would naturally turn to the objectivity or subjectivity of moral values. I don't believe that moral values are objective outside of the moral apparatus that has evolved in humans.

That makes sense.

Thanks for the welcome.

Sure, we rarely get such steadfast atheists :D

So, I still get happy and sad, and I do have great heights of joyous emotion at times even now, but perhaps not as regularly as when I was praising God in my everyday life. But I feel better about my state -- more balanced. My joyous states are over things that I know are real, they are from relationships with actual people. And I can honestly say I feel more content, and more at peace with myself, and at peace with the fact that there is nothing outside of the natural realm, and I have only this one life to live. I am happy about it.

This strikes me because I experienced the same thing going from atheism to religion.

I'd say humanism and Christianity are strongly centered on relationship, and even human relationship to a large extent. But I'd say there is a significant difference between the two worldviews with respect to that peace you speak of. The Christian concept of relationship transcends death and brokenness. I agree that what is "real" is to be known by others and form relationships with them, but, a fortiori, what is most real is to be known by the Truly Other constantly and eternally, a relationship which necessarily includes the others who are known by Him and seen through Him--the Body of Christ.

Short version: how can one find true peace in light of insurmountable death? Does not the importance and especially the brokenness of human relationship point toward a higher relationship? The impure love of man a higher Love? What you describe as real is also undeniably transient. Not so with the religious.

:e4e:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome to TOL. You'll find it's jungle here with people of every stripe. :chuckle: