Has the Church Replaced Israel ?

Gary K

Banned
Duh... where did I claim to "knows people's hearts ... know their thoughts"?

Again, your judgments are terrible. That's why you're an SDA.
When you call people liars and the like. The only way can can do that is if you think you know what is in their heart.

Gary K

Banned
That's wrong again. I don't judge your thoughts, I judge your WRITTEN WORDS.
So you know my motives for what I write? You need to know my inner most thoughts to think yourself capable of that.

1Sa_16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Gary K

Banned
When you lie, I don't need to know why you lied. I'm fully capable of knowing what a lie is.
You think anyone who disagrees with you is lying, as if you're in the place of God and the final arbiter of truth. In other words you think you have at least one of God's attributes which means you think you're God like.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
When you call people liars and the like. The only way can can do that is if you think you know what is in their heart.

If someone lies, and it's actually a lie, then does it take knowing the person's heart to call them out on their lying?

(hint: no, it doesn't)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You think anyone who disagrees with you is lying,

Now you're bearing false witness. Stop it.

as if you're in the place of God and the final arbiter of truth.

Truth is not arbitrary.

Jesus says to judge with righteous judgement.

He says to not judge based on appearances.

If someone is lying, and you call them a liar for lying, then that is a righteous judgement, not a false accusation. You're telling the truth. There's nothing wrong with telling the truth to a liar, and telling them that they're lying.

In other words you think you have at least one of God's attributes

We are made in God's image and likeness. We have the ability to use our minds to discern right from wrong. He gave us that ability.

We are using it.

You are not.

which means you think you're God like.

Yes, we are made in God's likeness.

Why do you think that's a bad thing?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
When you call people liars and the like.

There is no requirement for someone to know someone's heart in order to call them a liar when they lie.

The only way can can do that is if you think you know what is in their heart.

False.

I recommend watching the videos linked below.

Says the one lying.

You too, Tam.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
They like to imitate Calvin.
If you don't agree with all they say then you must not be shown any mercy by them.
You're such a lying fool!

I have put up with people that I vehemently disagree with for YEARS on end. It is waste of time idiotic fools who wouldn't know how to make a rational argument if their lives depended on it, like yourself, who I despise and refuse to tolerate for any length of time longer than it takes to insult them and even that is better than they deserve.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You're such a lying fool!

I have put up with people that I vehemently disagree with for YEARS on end. It is waste of time idiotic fools who wouldn't know how to make a rational argument if their lives depended on it, like yourself, who I dispose and refuse to tolerate for any length of time longer than it takes to insult them and even that is better than they deserve.
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah from the blind one.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I am careful about calling people a fool (i.e. Idiot, Moron, etc.)

If someone is being a fool, or an idiot, or a moron, or a hypocrite, or a liar, it would help them to tell them that they are being a fool, idiot, moron, hypocrite, or liar. They may not know. And if they don't know, then how will they know unless someone tells them?

Because of Matthew 5:22 -
"But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell."

It should be noted that this isn't a prohibition on being angry with someone, brother or sister, or otherwise. Otherwise, God (who is shown to be angry with His people Israel on multiple occasions throughout scripture) would be in violation of it.

Rather, it's saying, don't be angry without cause.

Righteous anger is a good thing.

I always take this as a warning to be mindful of what I say to other people who follow Christ.

If you observe a Christian is being an idiot, you should call him out on it, and help him not be an idiot.

It has very little to do with anger, but rather, recognizing and promoting a healthy perspective of reality.

Am I calling a somebody a name because my pride is driving me? If I have I have difference of opinion with somebody I should be able to discuss the difference over a nice glass of beer and still call them brother or sister when the beer is gone.

Agreed!

So, why should we all bow to your interpretation of the Gospel. Or Tambora's? Or mine? Or Bob's?

You shouldn't just "bow to our interpretation." But if it's correct, then (assuming your position is in conflict with it) you should humbly recognize your error, and correct it. The only way to determine that is to investigate the opposing view, test it, follow it to its logical and rational conclusions, and compare it to what scripture says. If it's in conflict, then reject it, and show your work.

Just like with any other proposition.

By what standard do I measure the truthfulness of what you, or anybody else, say(s)?

As Clete said: By sound reason and logic, and Scripture.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
If someone is being a fool, or an idiot, or a moron, or a hypocrite, or a liar, it would help them to tell them that they are being a fool, idiot, moron, hypocrite, or liar. They may not know. And if they don't know, then how will they know unless someone tells them?

It should be noted that this isn't a prohibition on being angry with someone, brother or sister, or otherwise. Otherwise, God (who is shown to be angry with His people Israel on multiple occasions throughout scripture) would be in violation of it.

Rather, it's saying, don't be angry without cause.

Righteous anger is a good thing.

If you observe a Christian is being an idiot, you should call him out on it, and help him not be an idiot.

It has very little to do with anger, but rather, recognizing and promoting a healthy perspective of reality.

Agreed!

You shouldn't just "bow to our interpretation." But if it's correct, then (assuming your position is in conflict with it) you should humbly recognize your error, and correct it. The only way to determine that is to investigate the opposing view, test it, follow it to its logical and rational conclusions, and compare it to what scripture says. If it's in conflict, then reject it, and show your work.

Just like with any other proposition.

As Clete said: By sound reason and logic, and Scripture.
Sound reason, logic, and scripture. I am sorry, but think this list is incomplete as it is missing prayerful contemplation seeking guidance from the Helper God sent to help us.

It is one thing to point out to a brother or sister that they are in error. But as soon as you starting calling them names you are no longer dealing with the error, you are going after who they are as a person. If you want somebody to quit listening to anything you have to say, start insulting their character. Calling people names is never a productive path forward.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Sound reason, logic, and scripture. I am sorry, but think this list is incomplete as it is missing prayerful contemplation seeking guidance from the Helper God sent to help us.
On the contrary. Jesus is Logic (Logos) become flesh. We (i.e. believers) have all been baptized by the Holy Spirit into Christ. We not only have the mind of Christ but His word (i.e. the bible) is the help that He's sent us.

Besides, any such help that one believes has been received by God (i.e. I presume you mean by some sort of revelation) must itself be evaluated via established scripture (the bible) and by sound reason.

It is one thing to point out to a brother or sister that they are in error. But as soon as you starting calling them names you are no longer dealing with the error, you are going after who they are as a person.
Exactly!

If you want somebody to quit listening to anything you have to say, start insulting their character. Calling people names is never a productive path forward.
They have already stopped listening (i.e. stopped using their mind)! That's why it makes sense to start attacking their character.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
On the contrary. Jesus is Logic (Logos) become flesh. We (i.e. believers) have all been baptized by the Holy Spirit into Christ. We not only have the mind of Christ but His word (i.e. the bible) is the help that He's sent us.

Besides, any such help that one believes has been received by God (i.e. I presume you mean by some sort of revelation) must itself be evaluated via established scripture (the bible) and by sound reason.

Exactly!

They have already stopped listening (i.e. stopped using their mind)! That's why it makes sense to start attacking their character.
According to the definition of Logos used in scripture, Logos=/= logic. The most common use of Logos in scripture is Word. It can also be used to mean “word,” “speech,” “utterance,” or “message.”

When people have stopped listening, how does insulting them encourage them to listen to what you have to say?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

I'm sorry, but Jesus sent a Helper (the Holy Spirit) to His disciples so that they could preach the gospel of the Kingdom of Israel. The Holy Spirit wasn't sent as a Helper to us in the Body of Christ, at least not specifically like Jesus said ini John 16:7.

Jesus lives within us, and as Clete mentioned, He is the LOGOS, logic.

So what I said is a complete list.

It is one thing to point out to a brother or sister that they are in error. But as soon as you starting calling them names you are no longer dealing with the error, you are going after who they are as a person.

if they've lowered themselves to that point by then, then there's not much point in continuing to try to point out their original error, no?

If you want somebody to quit listening to anything you have to say, start insulting their character.

Unless they've already stopped listening to what I have to say, for whatever reason...

At which point, is it wrong to call anyone a fool for intentionally walking towards the edge of a cliff?

Calling people names is never a productive path forward.

Sometimes it is.

And telling people the truth rather than being polite is generally a better path forwards.

According to the definition of Logos used in scripture, Logos=/= logic. The most common use of Logos in scripture is Word. It can also be used to mean “word,” “speech,” “utterance,” or “message.”

Clete has a better answer for this than I do.

When people have stopped listening, how does insulting them encourage them to listen to what you have to say?

I point back to what I said previously:

If they don't like that they're being one of those things, then that's a matter of the heart.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being offensive, because the truth is offensive to those who hate the truth, and in fact, Jesus was offensive. He is "the Rock OF OFFENCE!"

If someone is sinning, yes, even if they're Christians, one should call them out on it.

Or would you rather they continue in their sin, especially if they're a Christian?