Has the Church Replaced Israel ?

Right Divider

Body part
I am just observing that the Body of Christ is so fractured to those on the outside looking in that we really do a very pour job of showing the world the Hope within. We appear to be far more concerned with beating each other over the head with our preferred doctrines that we never seem to get around to actually sharing the Gospel.
Which gospel?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Could you describe exactly what it is you are doing whenever you (as you say) "beat others over the head with your preferred doctrines"?
What am I doing? I am pointing out that within the Body of Christ we will sometimes spend more time arguing over extremely subtle pieces of theology and joyfully calling each other morons and idiots. Is that what Christ intended for His church?

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
What am I doing?
Among other things, you are failing to read the question I asked you, and thus, are failing to answer the question I asked you.
we will sometimes spend more time arguing over extremely subtle pieces of theology and joyfully calling each other morons and idiots.
How much time are you spending doing whatever it is you call "arguing over extremely subtle pieces of theology"? And, which "pieces of theology" that you call "extremely subtle" are you spending your time "arguing over"?

Readers, observe now how by @CabinetMaker's reaction to these questions, it will be made manifest that by his pronoun, "we", he means "people who are not @CabinetMaker".

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
What am I doing? I am pointing out that within the Body of Christ we will sometimes spend more time arguing over extremely subtle pieces of theology and joyfully calling each other morons and idiots. Is that what Christ intended for His church?
Those who are stupidly arguing in favor of any theology, no matter how subtle, aught to be called morons and idiots. That IS the loving thing to do when someone who is capable of doing better chooses not to. You go ahead and be nice to them if you want. That's what has turned the church in America (and most of the rest of the world for that matter) into an emasculated, impotent irrelevancy. (i.e. No such "problem" actually exists! The truth is just the opposite of what this fool is lamenting about.)

Last edited:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Those who are stupidly argue in favor of any theology, no matter how subtle, aught to be called morons and idiots. That IS the loving thing to do when someone who is capable of doing better chooses not to. You go ahead and be nice to them if you want. That's what has turned the church in America (and most of the rest of the world for that matter) into an emasculated, impotent irrelevancy. (i.e. No such "problem" actually exists! The truth is just the opposite of what this fool is lamenting about.)
I am careful about calling people a fool (i.e. Idiot, Moron, etc.) Because of Matthew 5:22 -
"But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell." I always take this as a warning to be mindful of what I say to other people who follow Christ. Am I calling a somebody a name because my pride is driving me? If I have I have difference of opinion with somebody I should be able to discuss the difference over a nice glass of beer and still call them brother or sister when the beer is gone.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Among other things, you are failing to read the question I asked you, and thus, are failing to answer the question I asked you.

How much time are you spending doing whatever it is you call "arguing over extremely subtle pieces of theology"? And, which "pieces of theology" that you call "extremely subtle" are you spending your time "arguing over"?

Readers, observe now how by @CabinetMaker's reaction to these questions, it will be made manifest that by his pronoun, "we", he means "people who are not @CabinetMaker".
Actually, I am just not answering your question the way want/expected me to.

I don't spend a lot of time arguing over extremely subtle pieces of theology these days. I have had some JWs stopping by lately and we have just been having conversations. They have been intrigued by what I said and have come back to talk again. I find that to be a much more effective way of sharing Christ's Good News.

By "we" I mean all who profess Jesus as their Lord and Savior. None of us are perfect, we all have our flaws. Sadly, we seem to love judging each other for our flaws than examining the planks in our own eyes. I am no better nor worse than any other believer, just a flawed man thankful for Christ's gift of salvation.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Actually, you have not answered the question I asked you, and you just want me to play along at make-believe with you in saying that you have.
Your original question: Could you describe exactly what it is you are doing whenever you (as you say) "beat others over the head with your preferred doctrines"?

was answered here:
Would care to explain what piece of theology you think I am beating people over the head with?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I am careful about calling people a fool (i.e. Idiot, Moron, etc.) Because of Matthew 5:22 -
"But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell." I always take this as a warning to be mindful of what I say to other people who follow Christ. Am I calling a somebody a name because my pride is driving me? If I have I have difference of opinion with somebody I should be able to discuss the difference over a nice glass of beer and still call them brother or sister when the beer is gone.
I quickly call anyone being foolish a fool.

Is your entire theology based on out of context proof texting that you learned in 6th grade Sunday school class?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I quickly call anyone being foolish a fool.

Is your entire theology based on out of context proof texting that you learned in 6th grade Sunday school class?
Of course not. I have several resources I use when I study things. I see this as an issue about the unity of the Body. The idea if unity is discussed rather extensively in the New Testament so it is important.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Of course not. I have several resources I use when I study things. I see this as an issue about the unity of the Body. The idea if unity is discussed rather extensively in the New Testament so it is important.
You mean like when Paul said...

Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.​

By the way, saying it once wasn't sufficient...

Galatians 1:9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.​

Now, everyone sit back and watch while CM misses the point!

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You mean like when Paul said...

Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.​

By the way, saying it once wasn't sufficient...

Galatians 1:9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.​

Now, everyone sit back and watch while CM misses the point!
So, why should we all bow to your interpretation of the Gospel. Or Tambora's? Or mine? Or Bob's? By what standard do I measure the truthfulness of what you, or anybody else, say(s)?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So, why should we all bow to your interpretation of the Gospel. Or Tambora's? Or mine? Or Bob's? By what standard do I measure the truthfulness of what you, or anybody else, say(s)?
Stunningly excellent question! The answer is....

By scripture AND sound reason!

There is no such thing as an irrational truth.

If all you do is conform your mind to that single precept, you'll never again find any motive to ever ask such a question again for the rest of your life.

Incidentally, it's both scripture and sound reason because there is information that we get via revelation (i.e. scripture) that cannot be otherwise discovered and sound reason is required to understand anything at all, including revelation (i.e. not even divine revelation is allowed to be irrational). Thus, when it comes to the gospel or any other issue of doctrine, it simply must be both. Skip either and the result is a situation where there is no boundary that one's doctrine cannot cross, neither would there be any method or manner by which it can be falsified.

Clete

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Exactly.
Paul (and other NT people including Jesus) said to search the scriptures (that would be the OT) to verify if what they proclaimed was truth or not.