Good Religion / Bad Religion

Predi

How much simpler can it be? I can make it more complicated and explain that all die from Adam, even those that did not sin according to him. Salvation is moving from death in Adam to life in the Lord Jesus Christ. That is salvation.

It is short, but it is not simple. It's like poetry - it can mean different things to different people. I can say, "I ceased my daily struggling and rested myself comfortably" and you won't know what I'm talking about, or I can say, "I went to sleep" and you will.

Death in Adam? What does it mean?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
That law along with all of the ordinances has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15

Jesus said, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill" (Matthew 5:17). The law said he would (Deuteronomy 18:18). So, of course, you would claim he destroyed the law. You say one thing, Jesus says another, someone is mistaken.

God didn't destroy his law, he changed it through Jesus Christ by retaining the law but eliminating the ordinances. I realize that is beyond your understanding and you will continue claiming Jesus was mistaken.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Because Adam relinquished his dominion to the devil, and the devil is a murderer, God is allowing every human to die before they are judged (Hebrews 9:27).

Predi

I understand. Let me ask three questions though:

1 John 5:12 - what does it mean "to have the Son?"
Is Paul in 1 Corinthians 9:27 worried he can lose his salvation?
What makes you think the letters to churches from Revelation refer directly to us?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The new man is the Spirit led man. Not the law led man.

Let's say the new man is led one direction by the "spirit" and his wife is led in a different direction. Now we have a house divided.

How do you resolve it if there is no law to provide guidance?

6days

You seem to be saying that language can mean anything.....and different things to different people. Its a false notion meant to make scripture meaningless. By your 'logic'...Christ being born of a virgin.....being crucified....rising from the dead.....these are only words that can be interpreted however you wish.

Words do have meaning. "Death in Adam" means nothing without context. However if you are interested in a phrase in scripture, we can determine meaning using context.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
1 John 5:12 - what does it mean "to have the Son?"

Paul explained, "But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His" (Romans 8:9).

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Is Paul in 1 Corinthians 9:27 worried he can lose his salvation?

Yes, our salvation is held in trust for us by Jesus until the first resurrection when it will then become innate.

He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life (1 John 5:12).​

Predi

You seem to be saying that language can mean anything.....and different things to different people. Its a false notion meant to make scripture meaningless. By your 'logic'...Christ being born of a virgin.....being crucified....rising from the dead.....these are only words that can be interpreted however you wish.

Words do have meaning. "Death in Adam" means nothing without context. However if you are interested in a phrase in scripture, we can determine meaning using context.

I don't think anything can mean anything, far from it! But I can't think of more than 1 meaning of being born from a virgin or being literally crucified, while I can come up with quite a few theological explanations of "Death in Adam".

1. Literal Death.
2. Spiritual death.
3. Eternal death - conscious hell.
4. Absolute death - annihilation.

All options are based - according to some people - on the Bible. And I admit - in Romans 8:6 I don't really see which death Paul is talking about!!

Predi

Paul explained, "But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His" (Romans 8:9).

How are these two verses related in any way? I was asking what it meant to "have the Son" and Romans 8:9 doesn't even mention he word "son?"

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
How are these two verses related in any way? I was asking what it meant to "have the Son" and Romans 8:9 doesn't even mention he word "son?"

To "have" the Son means to have the Spirit of Christ, which is what you asked.

Last edited:

chair

Because your Jewish ancestors were acting like a bunch of wild animals.

When God gave the Israelites the Law, they had just left Egypt- with God's help. I am not sure where you got the idea that they were "behaving like wild animals" at the time. In any case, much of the Law is aimed at getting people to behave better. What is "Bad" about that? Are legal systems in general "Bad"?

Robert Pate

Banned
When God gave the Israelites the Law, they had just left Egypt- with God's help. I am not sure where you got the idea that they were "behaving like wild animals" at the time. In any case, much of the Law is aimed at getting people to behave better. What is "Bad" about that? Are legal systems in general "Bad"?

Your Jewish ancestors had to be left out in the wilderness for 40 years so that the rebels could die off before they entered the promise land.

chair

Pate- no answer?