good morning breakfast clubbers

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Morning.

sittinginhaybunn.jpg

A straw bunny argument.

Howdy folks :wave:

Breathe

Hi, my 91 year old mother died a few moths ago from pneumonia.
She still had her mental marbles but her body no longer allowed her to do the things she liked to do, was in constant pain and had been that way for some time.
I held her arm as she died in hospital and simply got a sense of relief as it happened. I wonder if it's always good to still have a competent mind while your body is failing you?
I don't believe in gods but I no longer worry about death, it's the living that can often be the hard part.:e4e:

Btw it's an hour away from morning here, so good evening all.
I am sorry for your loss. IMO, it is harder on the family when the illness is cognitive, harder on the person themselves when the illness is physical.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I am sorry for your loss. IMO, it is harder on the family when the illness is cognitive, harder on the person themselves when the illness is physical.

I've thought that at times as well. My Grandmother (mom's mom) was in the nursing home that my mom works at. She had Alzheimer's and was at the point that she couldn't really communicate at all or know who my mom was (or any of us). I can't imagine seeing and taking care of my mother like that for so long (my mom is in the business side but would still visit her mom every day). It was a very long process.

Breathe

I've thought that at times as well. My Grandmother (mom's mom) was in the nursing home that my mom works at. She had Alzheimer's and was at the point that she couldn't really communicate at all or know who my mom was (or any of us). I can't imagine seeing and taking care of my mother like that for so long (my mom is in the business side but would still visit her mom every day). It was a very long process.

My mom adored my son - I used to say she loved him the way she should have loved me. She saw him on Thanksgiving, but by Christmas thought he was someone else. When my dad told her who he was, she was mortified. But then she forgot that she hadn't recognized him. The only good thing about dementia of any kind is that they don't fret for long about anything, since they forget what fretted them fairly quickly.

rainee

She still had her mental marbles but her body no longer allowed her to do the things she liked to do, was in constant pain and had been that way for some time.
I held her arm as she died in hospital and simply got a sense of relief as it happened. I wonder if it's always good to still have a competent mind while your body is failing you?
I don't believe in gods but I no longer worry about death, it's the living that can often be the hard part.:e4e:

I am also sorry for your loss, Al.
My grandma when in her 80's quoted part of Job to me in this way, "this life is short and full of woe."

It was a real eye opener for me because at almost ninety years of age she was telling me we don't want a lot of woe, but we do want life.

I can't tell you with any confidence anything except only God knows hearts - but I can add He does have a plan of life without woe after death. It may not only be for your mom unbeknownst to you, but for you. You need a Saviour, however. Which is weird because many here know of One. hug

alwight

I am also sorry for your loss, Al.
My grandma when in her 80's quoted part of Job to me in this way, "this life is short and full of woe."

It was a real eye opener for me because at almost ninety years of age she was telling me we don't want a lot of woe, but we do want life.

I can't tell you with any confidence anything except only God knows hearts - but I can add He does have a plan of life without woe after death. It may not only be for your mom unbeknownst to you, but for you. You need a Saviour, however. Which is weird because many here know of One. hug
Hi rainee I'm sure things will get better for you even while still in this life since your mother's death.
The night after my mother's death I had a dream (to coin a phrase), I rarely remember dreams btw, and in it my mother had returned to a much happier time. She was young, energetic and had no more cares, fears or worries at all. I would like to think that it was true but I suspect it was more to do with my wishful thinking, but why not? :)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:( I am sorry for your loss, Al.

rainee

Hi rainee I'm sure things will get better for you even while still in this life since your mother's death.
The night after my mother's death I had a dream (to coin a phrase), I rarely remember dreams btw, and in it my mother had returned to a much happier time. She was young, energetic and had no more cares, fears or worries at all. I would like to think that it was true but I suspect it was more to do with my wishful thinking, but why not? :)

I have two opinions about dreams regarding the Lord. One opinion is that the Lord does sanction or send some dreams for reasons that amount to warning, or comfort or something like that..

After I lost my sad, kind, gentle, childhood friend who was homosexual and died of aids, who had months before gotten a letter from me about God (I hadn't even known he was sick) I had a dream that he and I were riding mountain peaks and valleys on like a railroad track sitting in something like a coal cart, laughing our heads off. The world's mountains were our roller coaster and we were quite happy about it..

When someone else I had loved died and I had not said anything to them about my hope in The Lord, I dreamed I opened my eyes to see a terribly bright light all around me. It was terrifying.
There was no place for me to hide. And why I wanted to hide - was because the moment I opened my eyes to this light I could feel my every short coming was visible - all I wanted to do was hide, just hide.

So, though I do not believe all dreams are from the Lord I do believe He can use them.

A young woman I worked with who was not a believer yet (and still may not be) lost her step-dad. He was the only parent who had really loved and taken care of her. She did not look like she was grieving over her loss - but I guess she was. One day she came in and said she had dreamed of him and he smiled at her as she was doing something. That dream comforted her so much, like I could only wish I had at least tried to do. I believe the Lord comforted her.

You may think you came up with that dream on your own and maybe you did - maybe you think like that, about stuff like that - especially when you are sad?

I think that would be a safer thought than thinking what a strange and wonderful but really scary thing it is to Have God mindful of you - even when He loves you.

alwight

@rainee
I may not believe in the Christian God nor the scripture that has become associated, nor those of any other Earthly religion, but I don't rule out the unknown.
Whatever may befall us in this life may not count for very much in an eternity.
I would like to think I had been given a message but whatever the truth, the vision I had of my mother was a rather better and more encouraging image than what I had experienced more recently.
:)

rainee

@rainee
I may not believe in the Christian God nor the scripture that has become associated, nor those of any other Earthly religion, but I don't rule out the unknown.
Whatever may befall us in this life may not count for very much in an eternity.
I would like to think I had been given a message but whatever the truth, the vision I had of my mother was a rather better and more encouraging image than what I had experienced more recently.
:)

I don't understand what you mean by "more encouraging ...than what I had experienced more recently"?
Nevertheless I do like the others parts of your post and appreciate intelligence and open heartedness while hoping they don't take you anywhere but where I am sure you should go. (As I'm sure you are aware.) :) hug

alwight

I don't understand what you mean by "more encouraging ...than what I had experienced more recently"?
Nevertheless I do like the others parts of your post and appreciate intelligence and open heartedness while hoping they don't take you anywhere but where I am sure you should go. (As I'm sure you are aware.) :) hug
My mother's physical decline meant finding more ways to look after her needs, but whatever I did couldn't give her back her mobility or take away the pain, but if she perhaps has gone to a better place then that would be encouraging.