God's Law, the Law of Moses, has not changed. True or False?

• Total voters

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

The Law of Moses is often referred to as God's Law. Has the Law of Moses changed?

What is God's Law?

Does the coming of the new covenant change the Law of Moses?

With the priesthood of Jesus being not after Levi, and with a change of priesthood there being a change of (the) law, is it right to say the Law of Moses has not changed even though the writer of Hebrews expresses that there has been a change of law?

Hebrews 7:12 NASB - 12 For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.

For the new covenant is not like the old.

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 22:7-20 NASB - 7 Then came the first day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. 8 And Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and prepare the Passover for us, so that we may eat it." 9 They said to Him, "Where do You want us to prepare it?" 10 And He said to them, "When you have entered the city, a man will meet you carrying a pitcher of water; follow him into the house that he enters. 11 "And you shall say to the owner of the house, 'The Teacher says to you, "Where is the guest room in which I may eat the Passover with My disciples?"' 12 "And he will show you a large, furnished upper room; prepare it there." 13 And they left and found everything just as He had told them; and they prepared the Passover. 14 When the hour had come, He reclined at the table, and the apostles with Him. 15 And He said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 for I say to you, I shall never again eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." 17 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He said, "Take this and share it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes." 19 And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

Last edited:

njspolk

I would answer yes and no. Yes, the law has changed since the law of Moses consists of the first five books of the Bible (Pentateuch). Obviously we as Christians don't participate in certain laws like Leviticus 19:9-10 “‘When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. I am the Lord your God." But we also are called to be holy through Christ's grace, which is what the law calls God's people in the previous verses Leviticus 19:1-2 "The Lord said to Moses, 2 'Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: "Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy."'"

Christ came and took the law further. The law wasn't about just following rules because God said so or it was the key to salvation (although that comes with the territory). It's because that is how God created us in the first place. Christ came to restore us to our original created intent.

God intended for the law to restore Israel, but it became an obstacle instead because of Israel's legalism. Christ came to restore the law as well, therefor restoring humanity.

Yes, the law has changed because we don't participate in ancient Jewish law.

No, the law hasn't changed because we are still called to be holy and Christ reemphasizes that call.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I would answer yes and no. Yes, the law has changed since the law of Moses consists of the first five books of the Bible (Pentateuch). Obviously we as Christians don't participate in certain laws like Leviticus 19:9-10 “‘When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. I am the Lord your God." But we also are called to be holy through Christ's grace, which is what the law calls God's people in the previous verses Leviticus 19:1-2 "The Lord said to Moses, 2 'Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: "Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy."'"

Christ came and took the law further. The law wasn't about just following rules because God said so or it was the key to salvation (although that comes with the territory). It's because that is how God created us in the first place. Christ came to restore us to our original created intent.

God intended for the law to restore Israel, but it became an obstacle instead because of Israel's legalism. Christ came to restore the law as well, therefor restoring humanity.

Yes, the law has changed because we don't participate in ancient Jewish law.

No, the law hasn't changed because we are still called to be holy and Christ reemphasizes that call.

Since the Law is eternal I see no problem with Israel or even another nation like my own (the United States of America) in observing it.

The Law of Moses can be the first five books of the Bible, Torah. We can speak of Torah law. We can speak of the Ten Commandments God made with the nation of Israel. We can think of the covenant God made with the nation of Israel. We can think of the things God had Moses write down in addition to the Ten Commandments He wrote Himself. I believe the Law of Moses is the covenant God made with the nation of Israel at Mount Sinai. This story begins in the Torah following the book of Genesis, in the books of Exodus through Deuteronomy. The first five books of the Bible are often referred to as the Torah. The word Torah can mean instruction, God's instruction.

njspolk

Since the Law is eternal I see no problem with Israel or even another nation like my own (the United States of America) in observing it.

The Law of Moses can be the first five books of the Bible, Torah. We can speak of Torah law. We can speak of the Ten Commandments God made with the nation of Israel. We can think of the covenant God made with the nation of Israel. We can think of the things God had Moses write down in addition to the Ten Commandments He wrote Himself. I believe the Law of Moses is the covenant God made with the nation of Israel at Mount Sinai. This story begins in the Torah following the book of Genesis, in the books of Exodus through Deuteronomy. The first five books of the Bible are often referred to as the Torah. The word Torah can mean instruction, God's instruction.

Most biblical scholars don't believe that the Torah or Pentateuch was written by Moses. How could it be?

Deuteronomy 34:7-8 "Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone. The Israelites grieved for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days, until the time of weeping and mourning was over."

How could Moses write about his own death? Biblical scholars have long claimed that the Torah has multiple authors rather than one, i.e., Moses. That's getting away from the original question, but I just wanted to see what your thoughts were.

And I don't have a problem with nations practicing Jewish law. I just don't think it's required or necessary as Christians because of Christ, e.g., eating pork, body markings, stoning for blasphemy etc.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Most biblical scholars don't believe that the Torah or Pentateuch was written by Moses. How could it be?

Deuteronomy 34:7-8 "Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone. The Israelites grieved for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days, until the time of weeping and mourning was over."

How could Moses write about his own death? Biblical scholars have long claimed that the Torah has multiple authors rather than one, i.e., Moses. That's getting away from the original question, but I just wanted to see what your thoughts were.

And I don't have a problem with nations practicing Jewish law. I just don't think it's required or necessary as Christians because of Christ, e.g., eating pork, body markings, stoning for blasphemy etc.
I don't think we should tell God that His Law needs to change for us.

You are right that this is found in Deuteronomy. Have you researched what the rest of the TaNaKh, the New Testament, and Jesus had to say about this (the Law, the Law of Moses, the first five books of the Bible)?

Robert Pate

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean. Meaning, I don't know what you are telling me I will find out. Also, what is the judgment you are referring to?

2 Corinthians 5:10, Hebrews 9:27, Hebrews 10:27, Jude 6. Plus many other scriptures.

Are you ready to stand before a holy God and be judged according to his law?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
2 Corinthians 5:10, Hebrews 9:27, Hebrews 10:27, Jude 6. Plus many other scriptures.

Are you ready to stand before a holy God and be judged according to his law?

We should all be ready for this. God will take into account every idle word spoken. I am thankful for Jesus and I am thankful for God's Law that shows us how to live and where we have sinned against God that we would repent.

njspolk

I don't think we should tell God that His Law needs to change for us.

You are right that this is found in Deuteronomy. Have you researched what the rest of the TaNaKh, the New Testament, and Jesus had to say about this (the Law, the Law of Moses, the first five books of the Bible)?

I have, but I have not been blessed with the gift of photographic memory and the only things I tend to memorize are Will Ferrel quotes haha But I do know Scripture well.

So, as Christians we should follow Jewish law to the tee? If so, why does our tradition and practices look so different? Jesus obviously followed these practices because he was Jewish, but what about the next step that Jesus lays out in the Sermon on the Mount? Or Paul's epistles? Or the author of Hebrews?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I have, but I have not been blessed with the gift of photographic memory and the only things I tend to memorize are Will Ferrel quotes haha But I do know Scripture well.

So, as Christians we should follow Jewish law to the tee? If so, why does our tradition and practices look so different? Jesus obviously followed these practices because he was Jewish, but what about the next step that Jesus lays out in the Sermon on the Mount? Or Paul's epistles? Or the author of Hebrews?

We can learn from all of it, and if you are a Gentile there are things you can observe that if you do you will do well. This is the minimum requirement for Gentiles. See Acts 15.

njspolk

We can learn from all of it, and if you are a Gentile there are things you can observe that if you do you will do well. This is the minimum requirement for Gentiles. See Acts 15.

That's what I mean. One can practice circumcision or refrain from pork, but it doesn't make them a better Christian. Maybe for some, idk. But obviously emphasizes the importance of Christ's inward work on us in order for us to live out his Kingdom outwardly.

I don't think we're disagreeing. Just maybe on authorship haha

Epoisses

Jacob is an uber law keeper and Gospel rejecter so no amount of reason or common sense will sway him. He has unwittingly become the subject of my prayers and I fear that only Divine intervention will break the evil spell from the Simon Magus of our day that has come over him.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jacob is an uber law keeper and Gospel rejecter so no amount of reason or common sense will sway him. He has unwittingly become the subject of my prayers and I fear that only Divine intervention will break the evil spell from the Simon Magus of our day that has come over him.

I don't know what you are talking about. I simply see no need to surrender the word of God and God's call upon my life. How I serve Him is something He continues to reveal to me. You are welcome to have a part in understanding what His word says for all of us.

The requirement for all believers, being that some are Gentiles, has been explained in Acts 15. God bless.

njspolk

I think that's a little harsh. I definitely disagree with a strict observance of Jewish law even for an actual Jew in some cases because some of the laws were meant for ancient social practices and don't fit in modern times.

But I think it would be wrong to condemn Jacob or be concerned for his soul just because he doesn't eat pork or something. He just misses out on the delight of bacon XD

Just be careful of legalism, Jacob. That's why the Pharisees are considered the antagonists in the Gospels, and partially why Jesus came: to speak against legalism.

Epoisses

I don't know what you are talking about. I simply see no need to surrender the word of God and God's call upon my life. How I serve Him is something He continues to reveal to me. You are welcome to have a part in understanding what His word says for all of us.

The requirement for all believers, being that some are Gentiles, has been explained in Acts 15. God bless.

Christians are not under law but under grace. You reject this so you can work your way to heaven. All the law is fulfilled in one word - love. Love is received by believing in Christ.

O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them. John 17:25,26

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Christians are not under law but under grace. You reject this so you can work your way to heaven. All the law is fulfilled in one word - love. Love is received by believing in Christ.

O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them. John 17:25,26

Romans 6:14-15 NASB - 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace. 15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!

Epoisses

Romans 6:14-15 NASB - 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace. 15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!

Those that are under grace are over sin.

njspolk

There has to be some form of action though. Christ didn't come just so we could believe in him. He still calls his people to be holy. Christ transforms us through love so that we may be love to the world, yes?