• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

God's attitude towards science and progress

iouae

I like science and progress, so already I am biased.

But my opinion is that God is not too crazy about human progress. The reason is, IMO obvious. When humans make progress, they make better weapons, all the better to destroy themselves. And God's attitude is "Thou shalt not kill".

So we see no attempt by God to speed up progress. Jesus did not come to earth and teach us electricity.

Also, the arrow of progress is in one direction - it tends to change human culture in one direction. For example, today, humans walk around stooped, looking at their cellphones.

At Babel, one gets the idea that God scattered the nations to deliberately slow down progress.
Gen 11:6
And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Unchecked Copy Box Gen 11:7
Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

Nukes, pollution, global warming, species and habitat loss, drones - these are a result of progress.
Medicine, more and better crops, ability to communicate, the joy of knowledge - these are a result of progress.

We educate all children, teaching them science. I would rather NOT teach someone science if I knew they would abuse that knowledge. I would rather not teach everyone how to detonate a bomb from a distance.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

But my opinion is that God is not too crazy about human progress. The reason is, IMO obvious. When humans make progress, they make better weapons, all the better to destroy themselves. And God's attitude is "Thou shalt not kill".

So we see no attempt by God to speed up progress. Jesus did not come to earth and teach us electricity.

Also, the arrow of progress is in one direction - it tends to change human culture in one direction. For example, today, humans walk around stooped, looking at their cellphones.

At Babel, one gets the idea that God scattered the nations to deliberately slow down progress.
And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

Nukes, pollution, global warming, species and habitat loss, drones - these are a result of progress.
Medicine, more and better crops, ability to communicate, the joy of knowledge - these are a result of progress.

We educate all children, teaching them science. I would rather NOT teach someone science if I knew they would abuse that knowledge. I would rather not teach everyone how to detonate a bomb from a distance.
God was trying to slow down evil, satan is the ruler of this world. satan has been leading us to technology and science to destroy ourselves and suffer greatly along the way.

iouae

God was trying to slow down evil, satan is the ruler of this world. satan has been leading us to technology and science to destroy ourselves and suffer greatly along the way.

I agree with you Patrick.

God has greatly limited how demons can interact with humans. I am sure demons have knowledge of technology which they are not allowed to give to mankind.

And God forbids humans from approaching mediums, or people with familiar spirits, in search of spirit knowledge.
Lev 19:31
Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.

But given the technology we have today, seeking knowledge through science is not bad. And if nuclear technology had fallen into the hands of the Nazis first, we would all be speaking German today.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I agree with you Patrick.

God has greatly limited how demons can interact with humans. I am sure demons have knowledge of technology which they are not allowed to give to mankind.

And God forbids humans from approaching mediums, or people with familiar spirits, in search of spirit knowledge.
Lev 19:31
Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.

But given the technology we have today, seeking knowledge through science is not bad. And if nuclear technology had fallen into the hands of the Nazis first, we would all be speaking German today.
These would have been good posts for my Aethereal thread because it talks about this. It's way more than just "the Germans", this goes back to the beginning and the garden.

The pagan gods worship and the attempt to contact evil spirits and mediums etc. goes back to nearly the beginning as well.

iouae

The pagan gods worship and the attempt to contact evil spirits and mediums etc. goes back to nearly the beginning as well.

Agreed.

When one looks at mediums today, those pretending to be in contact with the dead, psychics, fortune tellers, shamans, witch doctors etc. I have seldom seen good come from mediums. If mediums can contact the dead, why not ask the murdered dead who murdered them, and solve the case? Yet one never sees this happen. Those who claim to know the future can never give one a jackpot number. Shamans and medicine men seem to know herbs, and use placebo effect to get a cure, or just the power of the mind. That they seem able to do. And a lot of primitive folk believe they are cursed when they are sick, so the ritual removes that fear.

I have ambivalence towards water diviners.

But you are right that no human culture is free from demon influence and false gods, right from the beginning of time. But I would hesitate to call what priests and shamans do as "science".

Also priests seem quite happy to keep folks in the Dark Ages, just so long as they have power. Giving true science knowledge removes folks from superstition, thus priests and demons lose control.

iouae

These would have been good posts for my Aethereal thread because it talks about this. It's way more than just "the Germans", this goes back to the beginning and the garden.

The reason I did not want to post on your AETHEREAL thread was because I don't want to get into a big debate about the definition of "science". To me, science is any technology which works. Any theory which can make predictions (like Einstein did) which come true, is good science. Any experiment which is repeatable, and gives the same result, is science. Any statistic which consistently shows the same pattern, is science, whether it can explain the pattern or not.

The ETHEREAL guy definitely had it in for certain sciences, such as the atom, quantum physics, energy into matter, waves - all perfectly respectable. He did not like them because HE THOUGHT he saw them hinted at in the Kabbalah. I did not like this because it almost suggested that one should read the Kabbalah for tips on progress.

If one likes science, it is almost enticing us to go and do what he says Newton and Galileo did, which was to read secret writings and become a big deal scientist. I 100% dispute that these great scientists did that, even if they did read the Kabbalah. Scientific progress is not made like that. Newton's greatest interest was in determining when Christ would return. Science was just his hobby.

There are no good and bad scientific ideas. There is only science which works and makes accurate predictions, and there is rubbish or speculative science. In the video, someone suggested the number 10 and 26 are central to modern string theory and are big numbers in the Kabbalah. This is a ridiculous assertion since there is no acceptance of string science as being the answer to "The theory of everything".

Also, it was a shotgun approach, throwing in every branch of science and intimating, hinting, suggesting that this branch is bad because there are suggestions of this in ancient pagan religions. This random mud spraying, hoping that some mud will stick in one's mind, is horrible proof. Proof by intimation of evil is no proof. It's Dark Ages false accusation.

Also there was the suggestion that quantum physics is sorcery. This was suggested, hinted at, without any proof. It is preying upon the natural human reaction to label anything we cannot understand as sorcery. The next step is to burn the sorcerers at the stake. My feeling is that the more we understand, the less seems mysterious and inexplicable. If one sees a super-cooled torus ring levitating over a magnetic strip, it looks spooky, until this is explained. To see this levitation go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA

Science is neutral. Any technology which gets in the hands of evil people can be used for evil.
Likewise, technology in the hands of responsible folks is used for good, to heal and feed and clothe people.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The reason I did not want to post on your AETHEREAL thread was because I don't want to get into a big debate about the definition of "science". To me, science is any technology which works. Any theory which can make predictions (like Einstein did) which come true, is good science. Any experiment which is repeatable, and gives the same result, is science. Any statistic which consistently shows the same pattern, is science, whether it can explain the pattern or not.

The ETHEREAL guy definitely had it in for certain sciences, such as the atom, quantum physics, energy into matter, waves - all perfectly respectable. He did not like them because HE THOUGHT he saw them hinted at in the Kabbalah. I did not like this because it almost suggested that one should read the Kabbalah for tips on progress.

If one likes science, it is almost enticing us to go and do what he says Newton and Galileo did, which was to read secret writings and become a big deal scientist. I 100% dispute that these great scientists did that, even if they did read the Kabbalah. Scientific progress is not made like that. Newton's greatest interest was in determining when Christ would return. Science was just his hobby.

There are no good and bad scientific ideas. There is only science which works and makes accurate predictions, and there is rubbish or speculative science. In the video, someone suggested the number 10 and 26 are central to modern string theory and are big numbers in the Kabbalah. This is a ridiculous assertion since there is no acceptance of string science as being the answer to "The theory of everything".

Also, it was a shotgun approach, throwing in every branch of science and intimating, hinting, suggesting that this branch is bad because there are suggestions of this in ancient pagan religions. This random mud spraying, hoping that some mud will stick in one's mind, is horrible proof. Proof by intimation of evil is no proof. It's Dark Ages false accusation.

Also there was the suggestion that quantum physics is sorcery. This was suggested, hinted at, without any proof. It is preying upon the natural human reaction to label anything we cannot understand as sorcery. The next step is to burn the sorcerers at the stake. My feeling is that the more we understand, the less seems mysterious and inexplicable. If one sees a super-cooled torus ring levitating over a magnetic strip, it looks spooky, until this is explained. To see this levitation go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA

Science is neutral. Any technology which gets in the hands of evil people can be used for evil.
Likewise, technology in the hands of responsible folks is used for good, to heal and feed and clothe people.
I'm sorry, you're a poor lost soul.

daqq

The final statement which I highlighted sounds like some weird population culling proposal: how do you decide who will grow up to be an abuser of science and who will be a "good scientist" that uses science and knowledge for the good of the whole village? (lol) Or are you saying that science should be banned, outlawed, abolished, and done away with entirely so that no one can set off anymore bombs or shoot off anymore rockets? For some reason I get this strange notion of one of the Mad Max Road Warrior movies playing and John Lennon singing "Imagine" in the background. :)

iouae

The final statement which I highlighted sounds like some weird population culling proposal:
Now, now Daqq, don't go making up fake news. :) I never even hinted at culling humans.

how do you decide who will grow up to be an abuser of science and who will be a "good scientist" that uses science and knowledge for the good of the whole village? (lol)

We think "Education good - more education better". No! Teaching a suicide bomber how he can detonate a bomb without blowing himself up is a bad idea. There are some folks we should not educate or empower. For instance evil people.

I was teaching a kid science one day, and we started chatting, and in the process he started telling me some terrible, dark things he wanted to do with the science I was teaching him. I stopped and told him I would rather not teach him science if he wanted to use it for evil. We chatted, and he seemed to be in a bad place, depressed. I think I changed his mind, and convinced him that science should be used for good only. After finishing school, he phoned me to say he got a B in science, which he was quite proud of.

Einstein deeply regretted writing to Roosevelt telling him to make the bomb before Hitler did.
Einstein felt that nuclear knowledge should not be in the hands of politicians, and tried to get it back into the hands of responsible scientists. But the ship of progress had sailed, and wasn't coming back. And Einstein was probably wrong about feeling bad about writing to Roosevelt. And thank God Hitler hated Jews and chased Einstein to America where nuclear science could fall into more responsible hands. Stalin could not believe how stupid the Americans were to not dominate Russia, since America held all the cards. But the West was tired of war. Stalin breathed a huge sigh of relief when the Russians caught up with nuclear technology.

There are no easy solutions to the problem of keeping powerful technology from getting into the wrong hands. Trump would prefer that N Korea did not have nukes, but that ship has sailed.

Or are you saying that science should be banned, outlawed, abolished, and done away with entirely so that no one can set off anymore bombs or shoot off anymore rockets? For some reason I get this strange notion of one of the Mad Max Road Warrior movies playing and John Lennon singing "Imagine" in the background. :)

If someone asks the question "If we have nukes, why don't we use them?", and someone else calls the first someone a "@#$% moron", then what I am suggesting is that maybe we should hide the nuclear codes from that first someone. What is the point of turning N and S Korea into real, live Mad Max movie sets?

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

But my opinion is that God is not too crazy about human progress.

I think he's just fine with it, and even curious to see what his creation can come up with.

The reason is, IMO obvious. When humans make progress, they make better weapons, all the better to destroy themselves.

People are going to make progress whether God wants them to or not, especially those who hate God or who don't believe He exists.

God gave us a right to life, and the only time we lose that right is when we commit a crime worthy of death. And because we have a right to life, that means we also have a right (even the responsibility) to defend that life. And that means that if someone creates a powerful weapon, and intends to use it to kill and destroy, we have the responsibility to build better weapons to take that person or persons out.

And God's attitude is "Thou shalt not kill".

No, God's attitude is "Do not murder."

If it was "do not kill," then God, just a few chapters later would have been inconsistent when he said to put certain criminals to death.

So? That doesn't mean that He's opposed to progress. If anything, it means He would rather see things develop at their own pace.

I can tell you right now, there is FAR MORE to the Tower of Babel story than just God saying "oh, they're making progress, let Me stop them."

But it would take an entire Bible study to explain it all. And I don't have the time nor the ability to write that much here.

So is a much, much higher standard of living.

So you would have someone be unable to contribute to society in one of the best ways possible because you're afraid they'll use that knowledge in the wrong way?

Iouae, how does an economy work, ie, money, business, etc? Do you know?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

I think you misunderstood the video. It does not tell you to go study the Kabbalah nor is it anti-science. Most scientists have good intentions and do good work. The video is more about the academic and scientific push to remove God from our understanding. Schools do not teach about God anymore and many scientists don't believe in God. My thread is not an attack on science and technology but a warning. Whether you believe it or not there has been a conflict between academia and Christianity for centuries. I think it's part of satan's plan.

Maybe from my commentary about the video you expected an anti-science theme. It's much deeper than simply "attacking" science. Almost all important and powerful science and technology is first offered to and used or researched by the military and governments of the world. Many forms of science and technology are weaponized first before being offered to the world. Look at the internet and nuclear weapons, both created by the military and government.As far as what does God think about science and technology? It's the logical progression of mankind.

iouae

I think he's just fine with it, and even curious to see what his creation can come up with.

Our idea of fun and progress is that every man sit on his Apple and Blueberry. God's idea for the Millennium is that we sit under our vine and fig tree.

Mic 4:3
And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
Unchecked Copy Box Mic 4:4
But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it.

God put Adam and Eve in Eden to garden. I am not disagreeing with you but God feels that righteousness will make WHATEVER type of technological society live in peace and joy.

People are going to make progress whether God wants them to or not, especially those who hate God or who don't believe He exists.

It's only in the last few hundred years that progress has occurred, mostly driven by God-fearing, Reformation driven, religious scientists like Newton. You don't know if progress was God driven eg. Gutenberg invented printing so the Bible could get into laymen's hands, so the true Gopel could be preached in all the world.

God gave us a right to life...

God gave you no rights, not even to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not even the best person has the right to anything. The Gospel message is that humans have no rights, salvation is by grace. Every pleasant second you spend on earth is by grace and chance - chance that you were not born in Yemen for instance.

and the only time we lose that right is when we commit a crime worthy of death.
Completely wrong. Do you think a fish, frog, bird, fruit fly has a right to anything? They die as time and chance turn them into the lowest part of the food chain. I take it you will not argue that humans are different and God owes them something.

And because we have a right to life, that means we also have a right (even the responsibility) to defend that life.

That is a religious argument you make. And it is true. In this respect humans differ from animals in that they come with rules like marry one woman, don't kill/murder, don't lie etc. These too are religious rules. Animals don't live by rules because, as a rule, they don't need years of teaching and don't have language.

And that means that if someone creates a powerful weapon, and intends to use it to kill and destroy, we have the responsibility to build better weapons to take that person or persons out.

That is assuming morality, assuming a religious culture. Otherwise the most logical thing to do might be to wipe out all opposition, and be the fittest one and the survivor. So you are arguing for religion.

No, God's attitude is "Do not murder."
Good. Or if God tells Israel to murder the locals, that makes even murder good.

If it was "do not kill," then God, just a few chapters later would have been inconsistent when he said to put certain criminals to death.

God is not obliged to be consistent either. The Canaanites had no rights to Palestine because they were there first. God just ordered their genocide.

But, for His people, He did lay down laws. Laws only make sense from a religious worldview. Otherwise, human law may make it right to murder anyone different. Maybe in ancient cultures this is the reception all strangers got. They were invited to dinner, and they WERE the dinner.

So? That doesn't mean that He's opposed to progress. If anything, it means He would rather see things develop at their own pace.

I must have missed that verse.

I can tell you right now, there is FAR MORE to the Tower of Babel story than just God saying "oh, they're making progress, let Me stop them."

But it would take an entire Bible study to explain it all. And I don't have the time nor the ability to write that much here.

Until you explain it, no other explanation exists.

Iouae, how does an economy work, ie, money, business, etc? Do you know?

Economy, money, business, education, war - you name any human activity, and you will find the pagans got to it first, such as at Sumer or Egypt. So we could argue that science and all human activity has its origins in paganism. But I refuse to say that this makes economy, money, science, education, metalwork etc. bad.

Science and progress in the hands of good people is good. Science, money, metal, technology in the wrong hands is bad. That's my position.

Last edited:

iouae

I think you misunderstood the video. It does not tell you to go study the Kabbalah nor is it anti-science. Most scientists have good intentions and do good work. The video is more about the academic and scientific push to remove God from our understanding. Schools do not teach about God anymore and many scientists don't believe in God. My thread is not an attack on science and technology but a warning. Whether you believe it or not there has been a conflict between academia and Christianity for centuries. I think it's part of satan's plan.

If the video said what you said above, I would have no problem with it.

Maybe from my commentary about the video you expected an anti-science theme. It's much deeper than simply "attacking" science. Almost all important and powerful science and technology is first offered to and used or researched by the military and governments of the world. Many forms of science and technology are weaponized first before being offered to the world. Look at the internet and nuclear weapons, both created by the military and government.As far as what does God think about science and technology? It's the logical progression of mankind.

There is no branch of science inherently bad. All science in bad hands can be turned to evil.

Nukes were invented in 1945 and not 100 years has passed. God retarded human progress because, given a few more decades or centuries, mankind would start a nuclear war, and that would be a mass extinction. God saw this starting at Babel, and scattered mankind to delay the end times. The end times started when we invented things like nukes which could end us.

The video was nicely made, and I could imagine a church audience sitting there and agreeing with what was said, because church audiences almost invariably agree with what comes from the pulpit. I personally did not like its anti-science message behind the slick presentation.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I said
The core of Christianity is contentment. No science, no progress.
Science--Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil

[1Ti 6:20 20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane [and] vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
I Jn 3:11-12
11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another,
12 not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous.
John 8:43-44
43 "Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word.
44 "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
Matt 23:23-36
23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.
24 "Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.
26 "Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.
28 "Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous,
30 "and say, 'If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.'
31 "Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets.
32 "Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers' guilt.
33 "Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?
34 "Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city,
35 "that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.
36 "Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
Matt 23:15-22
15 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
16 "Woe to you, blind guides, who say, 'Whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple, he is obliged to perform it.'
17 "Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifies the gold?
18 "And, 'Whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gift that is on it, he is obliged to perform it.'
19 "Fools and blind! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that sanctifies the gift?
20 "Therefore he who swears by the altar, swears by it and by all things on it.
21 "He who swears by the temple, swears by it and by Him who dwells in it.
22 "And he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by Him who sits on it.
(NKJ)

Gen 2:8-9
8 The LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there He put the man whom He had formed.
9 And out of the ground the LORD God made every tree grow that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
(NKJ)

Gen 2:16-17
16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat;
17 "but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
(NKJ)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
If the video said what you said above, I would have no problem with it.

There is no branch of science inherently bad. All science in bad hands can be turned to evil.

Nukes were invented in 1945 and not 100 years has passed. God retarded human progress because, given a few more decades or centuries, mankind would start a nuclear war, and that would be a mass extinction. God saw this starting at Babel, and scattered mankind to delay the end times. The end times started when we invented things like nukes which could end us.

The video was nicely made, and I could imagine a church audience sitting there and agreeing with what was said, because church audiences almost invariably agree with what comes from the pulpit. I personally did not like its anti-science message behind the slick presentation.
You should watch some of the A.I. videos I posted in the Conspiracy thread, that's the kind of science and technology that will wipe us out and allow satan to enter the world physically. AI combined with quantum physics and mechanics will be unimaginable.

iouae

I said
The core of Christianity is contentment.
Yes

No science, no progress.
Yes

Science--Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil
No.

Adam and Eve were no closer to science and technology after eating the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. All that happened is that instead of knowing only good (experiencing good) they knew evil (experienced bad) as well.

iouae

You should watch some of the A.I. videos I posted in the Conspiracy thread, that's the kind of science and technology that will wipe us out and allow satan to enter the world physically. AI combined with quantum physics and mechanics will be unimaginable.

I think AI is fantastic and driverless cars are an example of progress in AI.

Without seeing your videos, AI, like quantum physics, is a new and exciting and wonderful addition to science.

The problem arises when a drone is programmed to kill anything which moves. But the problem still lies with humans abusing AI.

Science and technology are neutral, just like iron. Iron can be forged into guns or plows.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I think AI is fantastic and driverless cars are an example of progress in AI.

Without seeing your videos, AI, like quantum physics, is a new and exciting and wonderful addition to science.

The problem arises when a drone is programmed to kill anything which moves. But the problem still lies with humans abusing AI.

Science and technology are neutral, just like iron. Iron can be forged into guns or plows.
That's the mindset they count on.