God's ability according to Calvinism

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Poly said:
Actually, there is one thing that the Calvinists limit God in, claiming He is unable to do. They don't feel He's powerful enough to give man a freewill. He's not powerful enough to set a world in motion, leaving it to do it's thing like an awesome, fantastic, and beautiful machine, which allows man a freewill, and then be sure to still come out victorious in the end.
While some Calvinists may say that, I doubt all do. Instead of not thinking God isn't capable of doing what you describe, it might just be that they believe the future is settled.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Granite said:
Very briefly, Calvinism teaches that God has pre-ordained all things (including the salvation or damnation of all men) and has exhaustive foreknowledge of every conceivable event, choice, and decision.
I know that Calvinism teaches that, I simply don't know what that has to do with Poly's opening post. :confused:

Granite

Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
I know that Calvinism teaches that, I simply don't know what that has to do with Poly's opening post. :confused:

I think she was being more or less tongue-in-cheek.

allsmiles

Granite said:
I think she was being more or less tongue-in-cheek.

Perhaps that's what Knight referred to as ceasing Christian interaction with the bible and going back to God's word.

:kookoo:

VanhoozerRocks

The three pillars of Calvinism are usually its sotierlogical (TULIP), providential (compatabilism), and covenant theology. The first two overlap in several areas, but are "distinct" doctrines per se. And personally I am beginning to think that covenant theology is the foundation for the first two doctrines. In regard to the initial postings regarding Calvinism adhering to God being able to do logically contradictory (in a linguisitic def. sense), this is no sense the norm in any way. I have met no Calvinists who adhere to this, and none of the "giants" would. This position has no biblical or even rational support.

Knight, I am still curious about your statements regarding the past 2000 years of Christian thinking. Could you flush out your viewpoint more fully for me? Thanks.

Soli Deo Gloria

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
kmoney said:
While some Calvinists may say that, I doubt all do. Instead of not thinking God isn't capable of doing what you describe, it might just be that they believe the future is settled.

If the future is settled, it basically leaves God powerless and unable to change His mind. Praying is then pointless.

Do you believe that God and indeed change His mind on any given situation?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Shimei said:
If the future is settled, it basically leaves God powerless and unable to change His mind. Praying is then pointless.

Do you believe that God and indeed change His mind on any given situation?
Poly said that Calvinists didn't think God could create a world where man has freewill. I said that most Calvinists probably don't believe that. Maybe we should just ask someone who believes in Calvinism.

Calvinists: Do you believe God would have been unable to create a world where man has freewill instead of a world where he predestined everything?

allsmiles

kmoney said:
Calvinists: Do you believe God would have been unable to create a world where man has freewill instead of a world where he predestined everything?

You're missing the point.

Psalms 135:5 I know that the LORD is great,
that our Lord is greater than all gods.

6 The LORD does whatever pleases him,
in the heavens and on the earth,
in the seas and all their depths.

7 He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth;
he sends lightning with the rain
and brings out the wind from his storehouses.

He created this world for his good pleasure. One of the biggest reasons people misinterpret the doctrine referred to as Calvinism is because they don't start at the very beginning: The Sovereignty of God.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:
You're missing the point.

He created this world because of his good pleasure. One of the biggest reasons people misinterpret the doctrine referred to as Calvinism is because they don't start at the very beginning: The Sovereignty of God.
I don't think you know what I'm trying to argue here. I'm not arguing the way God made the world. I'm not arguing the way things are. I'm arguing because Poly said Calvinists don't believe God COULD have made a world where man has freewill, without predestining everything, and I am saying Calvinists probably don't believe that.

Is that more clear?

allsmiles

kmoney said:
I don't think you know what I'm trying to argue here. I'm not arguing the way God made the world. I'm not arguing the way things are. I'm arguing because Poly said Calvinists don't believe God COULD have made a world where man has freewill, without predestining everything, and I am saying Calvinists probably don't believe that.

Is that more clear?

I don't see why he couldn't have created the earth that way. He could have created it any way he wanted, but he created it this way according to his good pleasure. But, the fact that you aren't arguing the way things are gives me pause...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
VanhoozerRocks said:
Knight, I am still curious about your statements regarding the past 2000 years of Christian thinking. Could you flush out your viewpoint more fully for me? Thanks.
"Flush" them???

Wow... I knew you disagreed with me but geez.... flush 'em???

OK, if you say so.... I will be right back.

:comeout:

Done! I flushed 'em.

What do you want me to do next?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
"Flush" them???

Wow... I knew you disagreed with me but geez.... flush 'em???

OK, if you say so.... I will be right back.

:comeout:

Done! I flushed 'em.

What do you want me to do next?
I think he just wants you to explain your viewpoint more. He may have meant "flesh" out. :think:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
kmoney said:
Sorry. :noid:

I mean really, come on. Vanhoozer pretty much set himself up for that one. :eek:

GuySmiley

kmoney said:
I think he just wants you to explain your viewpoint more. He may have meant "flesh" out. :think:
Now why would God predestine that mistake from the foundation of the earth?