Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Have you ever thought about all the things God is able to do according to Calvinism? There's absolutely nothing you could think of that He can not do according to Calvinist theology.

God....

knows what the color utieoauri is.
is able to be unable to be able to be unable.....
can be retarted.
can close a closed door.
can hear purple.
can know nothing.

The list goes on.

Last edited:

Johnny

This is just a rehash of the old "Can God make a rock so big He can't lift it" argument. There are no shortage of responses.

It runs along the same lines as the question posed for open theists: Can God be unjust? If yes, then God is not the ultimate standard of justice. If no, then open theism is moot.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Poly said:
Have you ever thought about all the things God is able to do according to Calvinism? There's absolutely nothing you could think of that He can not do according to Calvinist theology.

God....

knows what the color utieoauri is.
is able to be unable to be able to be unable.....
can be retarted.
can close a closed door.
can hear purple.
can know nothing.

The list goes on.

Yes, but a stumper:

Can God make Calvinists admit that they are Calvinists?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Johnny said:
This is just a rehash of the old "Can God make a rock so big He can't lift it" argument. There are no shortage of responses.

It runs along the same lines as the question posed for open theists: Can God be unjust? If yes, then God is not the ultimate standard of justice. If no, then open theism is moot.

God can be unjust but that would go against His righteous character and He also wills not to be.

Johnny

God can be unjust but that would go against His righteous character and He also wills not to be.
But then God isn't the end-all standard of justice. This is another topic, I don't want to derail Poly's thread. The point is that if God can be unjust then your standard of justice is not God, it is some extraneous standard.

TheDude

My understanding has been that your God is pretty much, just that. An all powerful being that controls the whole universe. He can be everywhere at once, he knows everything. I know there is a third one that I'm missing, sorry, but its been a while since I had to remember all of those.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, there is one thing that the Calvinists limit God in, claiming He is unable to do. They don't feel He's powerful enough to give man a freewill. He's not powerful enough to set a world in motion, leaving it to do it's thing like an awesome, fantastic, and beautiful machine, which allows man a freewill, and then be sure to still come out victorious in the end.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Johnny said:
But then God isn't the end-all standard of justice. This is another topic, I don't want to derail Poly's thread. The point is that if God can be unjust then your standard of justice is not God, it is some extraneous standard.

Christ is the standard and He is righteous. That is His character and that is what He wills. Man can choose to love Him and accept Him or man can reject Him and rebel, which is where evil comes in, anything that goes against God and the His standard.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Poly said:
Actually, there is one thing that the Calvinists limit God in, claiming He is unable to do. They don't feel He's powerful enough to give man a freewill. He's not powerful enough to set a world in motion, leaving it to do it's thing like an awesome, fantastic, and beautiful machine, which allows man a freewill, and then be sure to still come out victorious in the end.
:thumb:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Shimei said:

Isn't it awesome to worship a God so powerful that he will, absolutely, without a doubt, come out victorious and defeat the enemy in the end, despite man's freewill?

Now THAT is a powerful God.

And it trumps any idea of Him only being able to be victorious if he predestined it. That's weak and doesn't come close to describing the Almighty God we see in the bible and the one I have faith in. :up:

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny

I believe in free will. I think the Bible puts emphasis on man's actions and will, but I also feel that the Bible teaches God's foreknowledge. How the two interact is something I don't understand, but I've come to the point where I leave it to God to figure out.

Isn't it awesome to worship a God so powerful that he will, absolutely, with a doubt
How do you know? How does God know?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sozo said:
Calvinism is just another word for religious science fiction.

Now that's hitting the nail on the head.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
How do you know? How does God know?

My husband has been the leader of our home for 20 years. He has no doubt, whatsoever, that he will remain the leader of this household, despite everybody in this home having a freewill and he didn't have to predestine it in order to know it. If mere mortal men, can be confident to always be the leader of their homes, despite the freewill of those who are a part of it, how much more so should it be a no brainer that God can remain the leader of His creation and be confident that He always will be, despite our freewill?

allsmiles

So, this is just a beat-up-on-Calvinism thread? Wouldn't it be more interesting if there were a five pointer here who could stand up for his/her position? I don't really see the value in this thread if it's only meant to cut Calvinism down when there's no one about to defend it.

Sozo

allsmiles said:
So, this is just a beat-up-on-Calvinism thread? Wouldn't it be more interesting if there were a five pointer here who could stand up for his/her position? I don't really see the value in this thread if it's only meant to cut Calvinism down when there's no one about to defend it.

Why don't you sign up and join their team?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:

And you've been a part of TOL for how long now? I'm sure long enough to know that there is no shortage of Calvinists around (though they support it wholeheartedly, don't dare call them one) to defend this.

That's TOL. That's what we do. The Calvinist starts a thread supporting their ideas, the OVer does the same. The Young Earth supporter starts a thread giving support for their belief, having no doubt and old Earth believer will be along shortly attempting to refute the young Earth beliefs. Same with Homos vs. Homo haters, Pro lifers vs. pro abortionists, both parties expecting that there will be opposition.

So what's the big deal?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
All the tulips have been crushed and stomped on.

There used to be a time on TOL where you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Calvinist. Now, nobody is a Calvinist!!!