ECT glorydaz says that Romans is Written to Unbelievers

Jerry Shugart

Are we splitting hair's ? And missing the objective of the scripture...

The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

So you do not think it is is important to understand exactly who Paul is addressing.

The words I "bolded" are speaking about what Paul and others preached to the unsaved. He never said that he was telling his saved readers what to believe in order to be saved.

In fact, the only people who he said that he was addressing is those with faith:

" To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world" (Ro.1:7-8).​

The "all" in verse seven has to be the same people which he refers to as "all" in verse eight, and their faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. So the word "all" as in "all that be in Rome" can only be referring the "all" whose faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

There is nothing which indicates that the epistle to the Romans is addressed to unbelievers.

God's Truth

Funny how you think every one is hanging on your every word. That bad GM....he's left your presence.

Now please note, dear readers.....Jerry's MO. He blathers on and on and then claims we aren't able to answer what he says. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, Jerry, but you have proven you aren't to be trusted. You do what God's UNtruth does. You twist and distort and falsely accuse. No one likes to talk to a brick wall. I only do it because I keep hoping you aren't as big a fool as you seem.

I tell you, you are obsessed. Why do you have to talk about me all the time?

God's Truth

"You don't like me...." That sounds like GT, doesn't it? :chuckle:

Nope, it's Jerry, after all.

Look out GM. You've caught the eye of the rabid dog. :dizzy:

That's what happened to me when I complimented Danoh on one of his posts. Look what it got me. Wonder what lie he'll accuse you of? Wonder if you'll get your very own call out thread?

Just look at yourself. You are obsessed.

God's Truth

You started out claiming I was saying Romans (meaning the entire "epistle") was written to unbelievers, when, in fact, I was saying no such thing. My thread was about Romans 10.

Now you say I claimed the epistle was "addressed" to both believers and unbelievers. Of course you have given yourself permission to say parts of it are addressed to "every man", but that must be acceptable. :chuckle:

You can't get your facts right any better than God's UNtruth does. So, why don't you simply shut your big mouth until you can be honest enough to admit you LIED, and the title of this thread is a LIE (even though you attempted to clean it up by editing your first post)? You're really pathetic, Jerry, and being unable to admit you were wrong speaks volumes. :nono:

A LIE is an attempt to deceive. You continue doing that.​

Jerry Shugart

Not paying attention again are you Jerry?

Perhaps you do not know what a napoleon complex is about:

napoleon complex: A peronality complex that consists of power trips and false machismo to make up for short height and feelings of inferiority.

Since I am tall then I am not doing anything to make up for short height.

All you people want to do is to question my character since you know that you are losing all your arguments about what the Bible actually says.

When you cannot answer the message you attack the messenger!

Jerry Shugart

You're really pathetic, Jerry, and being unable to admit you were wrong speaks volumes

The fact that you think that I am wrong proves that I am right. You never get anything right and this is just the latest example of that.

I also notice that you did not even attempt to prove that I am wrong and that speaks volumes.

glorydaz

Are we splitting hair's ? And missing the objective of the scripture...

The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

There you have it. Justification by faith. It's only through the Gospel that man can believe unto righteousness. That is the word of faith which we preach. That was my point in starting the thread on Romans 10 that Jerry trashed when he started this one.

glorydaz

napoleon complex: A peronality complex that consists of power trips and false machismo to make up for short height and feelings of inferiority.

All you people want to do is to question my character since you know that you are losing all your arguments about what the Bible actually says.

Don't flatter yourself. She thinks everyone is wrong but her. :carryon:

glorydaz

He's right. You aren't paying attention. His comment was not even about you. Just because it was addressed to you doesn't mean it was about you. No wonder we are where we are in this loser thread of yours. You started out with a lie and it's following you around like the ghost of Christmas past.

Danoh

Lol, pointing out, and or calling out your "character" is not attacking it.

But you're right; you're a character...

God's Truth

The fact that you think that I am wrong proves that I am right. You never get anything right and this is just the latest example of that.

I also notice that you did not even attempt to prove that I am wrong and that speaks volumes.

Jerry, that is a quote from glorydaz.

glorydaz

I do not take orders from john weenie!

I think he has a 'Napoleonic Complex'.

So, who was Stan talking about?
This is a lesson in reading comprehension 101.

One must take the he and follow it back to it's origin....which would be....wait for it....."john".
Jerry is not the "he" he thinks he is (even if he does claim to be tall).

Jerry thinks every song is about him. :rotfl:

Jerry Shugart

Jerry I've already refuted this version you continually refer to.

How about the NIV, a translation which you use sometimes:

If the epistle to the Romans is addressed to unbelievers then why did Paul not mention them when he said exactly whom he was addressing?:

"To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world [/B]" (Ro.1:7-8; NIV).​

We can know that the word "all" in verse seven is referring to the "all" in verse eight, and that means only those with faith are being addressed:

"I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is proclaimed in the whole world."

If they were ONLY believers, why does Paul say what he says in v14-15?

I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome.

Why on earth would Paul want to preach the gospel to them if they were all BELIEVERS?

The primary meaning of the Greek word translated "preached the gospel" at Romans 1:15 is "to bring good news, to announce glad tidings" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

That is why we see this translation:

"so, as much as in me is, I am ready also to you who are in Rome to proclaim good news" (Ro.1:15; YLT).​

There is more than one instance of good news that was preached to believers so there is absolutely no evidence that Paul is speaking about preaching the gospel to unbelievers. Again, If the epistle to the Romans is addressed to unbelievers then why did Paul not mention them when he said exactly who he was addressing?:

"To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world [/B]" (Ro.1:7-8; NIV).​

We can know that the word "all" in verse seven is referring to the "all" in verse eight, and that means only those with faith are being addressed.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

I'm showing how you contradict yourself. That's what I'm showing.

All you are doing is to attack me instead of taking responsibility for what YOU said here:

You only show your ignorance when you make the claim that everyone being addressed is a believer.

If I am wrong for saying that everyone being addressed is a believer then you must think that unbelievers were also being addressed.

And that is exactly what you are saying and then you call me a liar for saying that you assert that both believers and unbelievers are being addressed:

Now you say I claimed the epistle was "addressed" to both believers and unbelievers.

You also said:

You only show your ignorance when you make the claim that everyone being addressed is a believer.

Tell me why you think that I made an error when I said that everyone being addressed is a believer.