Give me your tired, poor, huddled masses

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Naturalization Test
That's not for entry. That's for the citizenship test. You don't have to take that before we let you in.

It's a requirement for citizenship.
I never said anything about mere entry.
He did. And Trump's aim has been barring entry, before anyone can even get to setting up the citizenship part.

Assimilation has always been the goal.
Sure. Or you can live in a community entirely comprised of rich white people and send your kids to a private school. I suppose assimilation is a little tricky when you think about it. What satisfies?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Did you mean to write "alt" before the descriptive?

I meant that the rules for naturalization are different than the rules for immigration. For a very long time, we didn't have any rules for immigration.

Meanwhile, our native sons are doing a lot more damage than people we're being told to fear in potential.

Yes. Right wing terrorists remain a greater threat than Islamic terrorists in this country.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

What America immigration policy should be focusing on is attracting young families with children.

While the parents may never be proficient in English, history has shown that its the children who make substantial contributions to the country.

While there are always exceptions, young families are motivated to succeed in their new country!

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I meant that the rules for naturalization are different than the rules for immigration. For a very long time, we didn't have any rules for immigration.

Yes. Right wing terrorists remain a greater threat than Islamic terrorists in this country.
What about the Antifa and other radical leftists who don't allow free speech and perpetuate identity politics? Left wing terrorists are the greater threat to this nation

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
What about the Antifa and other radical leftists who don't allow free speech and perpetuate identity politics? Left wing terrorists are the greater threat to this nation
Add this assertion to list:

- 3 million illegal voters all voted for Hillary

- the crowd for Trump's inauguration was larger than Obama's

- Trump won with the largest number of electoral college votes in modern times

- President Obama had the telephones at Trump Towers wiretapped

- nobody in the Trump Campaign met with the Russians

- Trump never molested women as described in his own words in the Hollywood bus audio tape

- Trump supporters would get tired of "winning"

- Obamacare would be repealed by the end of Trump's first day in office

exminister

Great John Wayne film with O'Hara as his costar. It's about an American who was born in Ireland but grew up in the states, became a great heavyweight fighter, then accidentally killed a man in the ring. He flees to Ireland to find peace and purchases his family home, setting off all sorts of interesting conflicts. Despite the description it's lighter than that and a very enjoyable film.

At one point an Irish woman gives Wayne's character a stick "To beat the lovely lady with" in line with the rule of thumb. Our Western traditions once treated women like property. They were denied higher education, property rights, could be forceably taken by their husbands and even beaten, within bounds. Women waited until 1920 to vote here.
The Quiet Man
I finally saw this delightful film today. Thank you for the recommendation.
John Ford bought the rights to it in 1933. It was a short story in the Saturday Evening Post. It took him almost 20 years to get it made. The big studios didn't think it would sell.

Maureen O'hara did some real fine acting. Don't think anyone could have done it better.

Looks like Clint Eastwood was a fan. In his "Any Which Way You Can" movie it certainly gives homage to the fight scene. The fight goes from one part of the town to the other with delightful pauses. And the fighters became buddies at the end.

Irish culture in the film
Beating a wife with a stick, male members owning women even the money the women earned themselves. Formal courting.

The clash between cultures was interestingly portrayed. But what was telling is that even those in the Irish culture didn't like it and conspired to dismantle it.

There are brave women in Muslim cultures who throw off oppressive male culture foisted on them. Fighting for education and to be a person, i.e. not in a full burka. Some have given life and limb for be free of such things. I still feel we need to resist those demeaning *MAN* made cultural rules. When women have a real position in society it makes a better society all around. Now only if Congress could reflect a better balance mirroring society.

Thanks again.

exminister

One other note on The Quiet Man. How is the "problem" ultimately fixed? A fist fight. That is the solution in a lot of films. That's great in the movies but a number of generations of TV/film watchers think that is the best solution in life. Think some of that is catching up with us.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
One other note on The Quiet Man. How is the "problem" ultimately fixed? A fist fight.
What's interesting about that to me is how the fight works on a few levels. It's not the outcome of the fight but the fact of it. Wayne's character needs to get past his fear of harming someone and the guilt that came with it, and his new bride finds confirmation of his heart in it and uses it to address her feelings of shame and the way she's bound to a few traditions that have only given her misery. Even the brother gains respect from it, both from the woman he loves and for the man he's inclined to spite.

That is the solution in a lot of films. That's great in the movies but a number of generations of TV/film watchers think that is the best solution in life. Think some of that is catching up with us.
With Houston there wouldn't be any other way. Wayne too. Violence was metaphor. Curious film.

I loved the clergy in this. Bond, who managed to be in everything from The Searchers, to It's a Wonderful Life, to The Maltese Falcon, has a really charming role in it. But then, just that's true for just about every character in it.

exminister

What's interesting about that to me is how the fight works on a few levels. It's not the outcome of the fight but the fact of it. Wayne's character needs to get past his fear of harming someone and the guilt that came with it, and his new bride finds confirmation of his heart in it and uses it to address her feelings of shame and the way she's bound to a few traditions that have only given her misery. Even the brother gains respect from it, both from the woman he loves and for the man he's inclined to spite.

With Houston there wouldn't be any other way. Wayne too. Violence was metaphor. Curious film.

I loved the clergy in this. Bond, who managed to be in everything from The Searchers, to It's a Wonderful Life, to The Maltese Falcon, has a really charming role in it. But then, just that's true for just about every character in it.

Excellent point on the fight have multiple storyline levels. It really shows it is well written screenplay.

Ward Bond - excellent character actor. Charles Lane is another of my favorites speaking of a Wonderful Life.

Maybe we need a thread of favorite character actors. Rushmore of character actors. :)

ClimateSanity

What America immigration policy should be focusing on is attracting young families with children.

While the parents may never be proficient in English, history has shown that its the children who make substantial contributions to the country.

While there are always exceptions, young families are motivated to succeed in their new country!
Why not focus on what's best for America's workers and it's citizens? Why not try to preserve an existing American culture?

gcthomas

Why not focus on what's best for America's workers and it's citizens? Why not try to preserve an existing American culture?

Where has it ever been tried to artificially preserve a culture at one point in time? How did that work out? There isn't a single American culture, so how do you pick one that doesn't end up marginalising millions? Didn't the Pilgrims leave England just to escape the dominant culture to set up a nation where differences were respected?