Full Preterism

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Full preterism differs from partial preterism in that full preterists believe that the destruction of Jerusalem fulfilled all eschatological or "end times" events, including the resurrection of the dead and Jesus' Second Coming, or Parousia, and the Final Judgment.

Wikipedia
Preterism

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What would it mean for the final judgment to have already taken place? Meaning of course there will be a time after a final judgment, but I do not believe that time has come yet.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Their explanations are really crazy in that regard.

One poster here says that Jesus came back "as the Roman army".

Wow. Well, have you ever heard an army is God or as God such as in judgment? But that statement does not make sense.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
This is the Religion Forum.

What is your approach about?

It is very important to properly state the opposition's viewpoint instead of misrepresenting it.
Democrats specialize in fake news. That is exactly what his comment was - fake news about preterists.
No preterist suggests the Roman army was Jesus.

Their belief is that Jesus 'appeared', in judgement upon the generation that nailed Him to the cross and used the Roman army as His tool to bring an end to the era of sacrifices every year for sin and signal the era of the new covenant by Jesus' once and for all sacrifice - the new covenant in His blood.

There have been many 'appearances' of God in history. We call them theophanies. Some also argue for Christophanies which are non-bodily manifestations of pre-incarnate Christ e.g. Melchizedek. In this case preterists believe that a post-incarnate Christ appeared in the clouds over Jerusalem to witness and approve of it's total destruction according to His prophecies.

There are scriptural evidences that God used heathen armies to mete out His punishment. Cyrus is called God's appointed shepherd (Is 45) and Nebuchadnezzar His appointed servant. He used Assyria and Babylon to punish Israel and Judah.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It is very important to properly state the opposition's viewpoint instead of misrepresenting it.
Democrats specialize in fake news. That is exactly what his comment was - fake news about preterists.
No preterist suggests the Roman army was Jesus.

Their belief is that Jesus 'appeared', in judgement upon the generation that nailed Him to the cross and used the Roman army as His tool to bring an end to the era of sacrifices every year for sin and signal the era of the new covenant by Jesus' once and for all sacrifice - the new covenant in His blood.

There have been many 'appearances' of God in history. We call them theophanies. Some also argue for Christophanies which are non-bodily manifestations of pre-incarnate Christ e.g. Melchizedek. In this case preterists believe that a post-incarnate Christ appeared in the clouds over Jerusalem to witness and approve of it's total destruction according to His prophecies.

There are scriptural evidences that God used heathen armies to mete out His punishment. Cyrus is called God's appointed shepherd (Is 45) and Nebuchadnezzar His appointed servant. He used Assyria and Babylon to punish Israel and Judah.

That Jesus knew what was going to happen does not mean He orchestrated it or commanded it. Also, Jesus was not sacrificed.

Right Divider

Body part
Then please properly quote the source.
It was a very old post. But my summary is accurate to what was said.

I suggest that you may have misinterpreted what was said.
I suggest that you are incorrect and making unfounded suggestions of your own.

That poster defended that exact claim.

Do you think that the Lord Jesus Christ has already returned? Has Zechariah 14 already been fulfilled?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Do you think that the Lord Jesus Christ has already returned? Has Zechariah 14 already been fulfilled?

I see strong and weak points in all eschatological viewpoints. The differences are not, as is presumed, between one person who takes the Bible literally and another who takes it spiritually. All camps do both. Differences arise in that they don't do either in the same places.

What I am most convinced of is that Jesus came to do His Father's will and that He did not fail in any part of it.
The discrepancies between the various viewpoints stem from opinions as to what Jesus came to do. I am convinced that His kingdom is not, now or ever, of this world. This leads me away from futurism in general.

On the other hand, a second, universally visible appearance is promised and, I believe, will be fulfilled when the last sinner is converted and God's long-suffering is complete. This world will then be destroyed by fire.

Right Divider

Body part
I see strong and weak points in all eschatological viewpoints. The differences are not, as is presumed, between one person who takes the Bible literally and another who takes it spiritually. All camps do both. Differences arise in that they don't do either in the same places.

What I am most convinced of is that Jesus came to do His Father's will and that He did not fail in any part of it.
The discrepancies between the various viewpoints stem from opinions as to what Jesus came to do. I am convinced that His kingdom is not, now or ever, of this world. This leads me away from futurism in general.

On the other hand, a second, universally visible appearance is promised and, I believe, will be fulfilled when the last sinner is converted and God's long-suffering is complete. This world will then be destroyed by fire.
Well there's your fundamental problem. Jesus' kingdom will most certainly include Him sitting on His throne in Jerusalem ruling with an iron rod.

God makes clear throughout His dealings with Israel that they are His chosen people on the earth. Clearly the new Jerusalem that comes down from heaven in coming to the earth. Clearly Jesus sets foot on the earth in Zechariah 14 (which is also clearly confirmed in Acts 1).

P.S. The phrase "of this world" has nothing to do with the false dichotomy of "physical/spiritual".