Forgiving Others

Freak

Originally posted by Knight

OK so your answer is "no". Good! :up:

Now maybe you can respond to....

“Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. - Luke 17:3
I already answered your questions. We should forgive those who repent and those who do not....

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by BillyBob

No, of course not. I cannot forgive them, they are actively killing my fellow countrymen and would just as easily kill me if they had the opportunity.

I assume that is the wrong answer........

Freak

I assume that is the wrong answer........
BB, Knight would like us to believe that it's ok to harbor hate, anger, and bitterness towards those who have hurts us. That's downight dangerous and silly.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Freak

BB, Knight would like us to believe that it's ok to harbor hate, anger, and bitterness towards those who have hurts us. That's downright dangerous and silly.

I will not pretend to know what Knight's intentions are, but it is natural to hate people who are intent on killing you. They certainly hate us!!!! If I let down my guard, I will become a victim.

Sorry Freak, I HATE the men who killed Nick Berg. I would kill them myself if the situation was provided.

It is what it is.

Freak

I will not pretend to know what Knight's intentions are, but it is natural to hate people who are intent on killing you. They certainly hate us!!!! If I let down my guard, I will become a victim.

Sorry Freak, I HATE the men who killed Nick Berg. I would kill them myself if the situation was provided.

It is what it is.
That's exactly what Knight is teaching...we should hate those who have hurt us. Harbor it in your heart. Let the hate grow into rage. Don't ever forgive.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

That's exactly what Knight is teaching...we should hate those who have hurt us. Harbor it in your heart. Let the hate grow into rage. Don't ever forgive.

Now wait a minute. I didn't say I would never forgive, Freak, you are twisting my words. Go back a page to my first posts in this thread, you will see that your accusation isn't accurate.

However, those evil, butchering, Arab terrorists are no where near repentance. As such, I hate them and would kill them if I had the opportunity.

I'll take my chances with God and what he may think about my actions.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

That is not what Knight is teaching, and you know it.

Leo Volont

BANNED
Banned

Freak has a propensity for disappearing when the debate gets heated.

Where'd you go, Freak?

"Heated?"

Maybe he needs to go off and have a cigerette, and then recoup his forces somewhat.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Melody

Of Course we should forgive someone that asks our forgiveness.

But our forgiveness should not depend on their repentance. Because our own forgiveness depends on us forgiving others.

There is not one scripture stating that our forgiveness of others depends on their requesting it.
Luke 17:3, Matthew 18:15-17.

Luk 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and [to] the evil.
Luk 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
Luk 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses

Our forgiveness does not depend on whether we forgive others because we are already forgiven. Those who were under the dispensation of circumcision had to forgive (the repentant) in order to be forgiven by God. That was who Jesus addressed. But those under the dispensation of uncircumcision should forgive (the repentant) because we are already forgiven.

• And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
Do you see how Paul is saying something different than what Jesus said? Though it's not really the topic of this thread, the distinction is important.

So according to Paul were are supposed to forgive others similarly to how God forgave us. Now, does God forgive the unrepentant? When you put your faith in Christ, did you do so with an attitude of unrepentance?

Mat 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Luke records it this way:
  • "And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, 'I repent,' you shall forgive him." Luke 17:4

And right before the verses you quoted, Jesus laid out that one should rebuke the sinner, if he repents, forgive... if he doesn't, turn up the heat... and if he utterly refuses to repent, "let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector." In other words, don't forgive him anyway.
  • "Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that "by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.' And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector." Matthew 18:15-17

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Leo Volont

"Heated?"

You know what I mean.

Maybe he needs to go off and have a cigarette, and then recoup his forces somewhat.

Maybe he is possessed! :shocked:

Maybe he just needs a beer. :cheers:

I dunno, it just seems like he makes a dash for the door right when things start to get interesting.

adajos

Knight:

Uh.... yes. Yes He would and yes he did....

He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.” - Matthew 26:39

(emphasis mine)

You'll notice that when Christ is asking the Father for something He wants, but thinks He can't have--not being crucified--He qualifies His request with "if it is possible". There is similar qualification of Christ's request of the Father in the second passage He spoke at Gethsemene.

Not so with "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do" from the cross. In that, He knew He was not asking for something that would undermine the salvation of humanity, as He knew in your examples.

• Do you agree Christ had the power to forgive sins?
  • Would Christ ask the Father to forgive the same sin that Christ Himself would not forgive?

Your objection of, "we don't know if the Father really did forgive them" is very weak, because there is no good answer to that last question, which seems to be the position you espouse in order to cast doubt on a fact that destroys your argument.

There is no good reason to believe that when Christ said "Father, forgive them for they don't know what they do" that He really meant "forgive them for the sin of executing the me, the Son of God, but don't forgive them for executing a person they know is innocent". That's quite a stretch, built on sheer speculation, not on what the Bible says.

I disagree completely.

I think the text is very clear.

But hey, you can think whatever you like.

Yes, the text is very clear. It's that very clarity of the text that shows your arbitrary creation of two distinct sins requiring separate forgiveness for one act is unBiblical.

Bottom line: I see no insinuation from the words of Christ or from the rest of Luke 23 that imply the Roman soldiers committed any sin other than ignorantly executing Christ. Whether they knew He was innocent or not is nothing but speculation--it does not say they were aware of it, nor does it say that it was a separate sin they committed.

Are you saying the Roman soldiers weren't aware that Pilate had stated in public....

So Pilate said to the chief priests and the crowd, “I find no fault in this Man.” - Luke 23:4

Nope, I'm saying the Bible doesn't break the sins for which the Roman soldiers needed forgiveness into two categories like you do.

The Bible doesn't say that the Roman soldiers knew He was innocent, you are assuming they do. You are further assuming that pagan Roman soldiers were aware that they were committing a sin in following the orders given to them to execute a man believed to be innocent by Pilate. You are even further assuming that even if they thought they were sinning that the same act would need to be forgiven twice.

Again, it's the clarity of the text that highlights your false assumptions. If you abide by the situation as written in that passage without tenuous theorizing, then you're whole theology of "never forgive unless forgiveness is asked for" is uprooted. No wonder you have to take such flights of fancy with the text.

I think your notion of two distinct sins in the same act that needed separate forgiveness from God is only in your head, not in the Bible.

I would say I just proved you wrong on that.

I would say "nope". I can think of nowhere in the Bible where the same act needed to be forgiven twice as apparently the Roman soldiers did in your interpretation. Without your artificially constructed sin dichotomy, your deck of cards collapses.

LOL... OK my man.... if you want to believe that....have at it!

I think we have beat this topic to death.

Personally I think you failed miserably to make your point (which is weak in the first place). But it was an interesting volley none the less.

So... do you have any other biblical evidence to suggest we should forgive without repentance?

I don't know about "beat to death." I do think we've come to a point where you're not going to budge, even in the face of compelling evidence.

I disagree with your assessment of my case--but then again, I think your case is built on nothing other than biased speculation

Last edited:

Melody

It is what it is.

Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Luk 6:27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
Luk 6:28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
Luk 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the [one] cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not [to take thy] coat also.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Knight-
I think Melody's point is that the verse doesn't say to only forgive them if they ask for it. It only says that we are to forgive them, when they do. I will not depend on someone else's hate to define my love. But just because I have forgiven, that doesn't mean I will forget. And it definitely doesn't mean that I will let it happen again.

Freak

Originally posted by adajos

Knight:

You'll notice that when Christ is asking the Father for something He wants, but thinks He can't have--not being crucified--He qualifies His request with "if it is possible". There is similar qualification of Christ's request of the Father in the second passage He spoke at Gethsemene.

Not so with "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do" from the cross. In that, He knew He was not asking for something that would undermine the salvation of humanity, as He knew in your examples.

• Do you agree Christ had the power to forgive sins?
  • Would Christ ask the Father to forgive the same sin that Christ Himself would not forgive?

Your objection of, "we don't know if the Father really did forgive them" is very weak, because there is no good answer to that last question, which seems to be the position you espouse in order to cast doubt on a fact that destroys your argument.

I disagree completely.

I think the text is very clear.

But hey, you can think whatever you like.

Yes, the text is very clear. It's that very clarity of the text that shows your arbitrary creation of two distinct sins requiring separate forgiveness for one act is unBiblical.

Are you saying the Roman soldiers weren't aware that Pilate had stated in public....

So Pilate said to the chief priests and the crowd, “I find no fault in this Man.” - Luke 23:4 [/quote]

Nope, I'm saying the Bible doesn't break the sins for which the Roman soldiers needed forgiveness into two categories like you do.

The Bible doesn't say that the Roman soldiers knew He was innocent, you are assuming they do. You are further assuming that pagan Roman soldiers were aware that they were committing a sin in following the orders given to them to execute a man believed to be innocent by Pilate. You are even further assuming that even if they thought they were sinning that the same act would need to be forgiven twice.

Again, it's the clarity of the text that highlights your false assumptions. If you abide by the situation as written in that passage without tenuous theorizing, then you're whole theology of "never forgive unless forgiveness is asked for" is uprooted. No wonder you have to take such flights of fancy with the text.

I would say I just proved you wrong on that.[/quote]

I would say "nope". I can think of nowhere in the Bible where the same act needed to be forgiven twice as apparently the Roman soldiers did in your interpretation. Without your artificially constructed sin dichotomy, your deck of cards collapses.

I don't know about "beat to death." I do think we've come to a point where you're not going to budge, even in the face of compelling evidence.

I disagree with your assessment of my case--but then again, I think your case is built on nothing other than biased speculation
Yep, this pretty much sums it up biblically. Case close. :up: :chuckle:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Melody

Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Luk 6:27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
Luk 6:28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
Luk 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the [one] cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not [to take thy] coat also.

You are right, let's just lay down our 'arms', open the borders and let the Muslims kill us all. Sound good to you????

Freak

You are right, let's just lay down our 'arms', open the borders and let the Muslims kill us all. Sound good to you????
BB, let's simply hate all the muslims and kill them all, right?