Forgiving Others

Freak

Originally posted by Knight

Freak.... what is the disagreement?
God doesn't call for us to forgive those who are only repentant....that's silly theology...

God's Word tells us...
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.

Please note the bold. Scripture doesn't require that you must forgive only those who repent but rather you must forgive those who wrong you regardless....I don't expect you to understand the most basic Biblical ideas but please try. Please.

Last edited:

Freak

Originally posted by Knight sincerely asks
So... do you have any other biblical evidence to suggest we should forgive without repentance?

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

Even when there is no repentance. We ought to not harbor unforgiveness but rather we should forgive those who wrong us regardless..:up:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Freak

God doesn't call for us to forgive those who are only repentant....that's silly theology...
Then your beef is with Jesus not me.

“Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. - Luke 17:3

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

Even when there is no repentance. We ought to not harbor unforgiveness but rather we should forgive those who wrong us regardless..:up:
Are you SURE about that?????

“And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.” - Luke 17:4

Freak

Then your beef is with Jesus not me.

“Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. - Luke 17:3
Actually Jesus said this too:

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.

We forgive those who repent and we forgive those who don't repent. Embrace all the words of Christ, stop picking & choosing.

:down:

Freak

Are you SURE about that?????

“And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.” - Luke 17:4
I'm quite sure...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak... everytime Jesus spoke about forgiveness He didn't need to restate every principle regarding appropriate forgiveness.

Ephesians 4:32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you.

OK, so we are to forgive in the same manner hat Christ forgave us.

Remind me again... was that WITH or WITHOUT repentance?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

We forgive those who repent and we forgive those who don't repent. Embrace all the words of Christ, stop picking & choosing.
Again... Jesus said it... not me.

So your beef is with Jesus.... go complain to Him about it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Melody

When did the woman caught in the act of adultary repent?
We have been through this before.

This was a trap that Jesus outsmarted.

Yet for sake of argument. Even if it weren't a trap the story would still be a poor example because.....

Jesus commaned her to repent!

She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” - John 8:11

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What is so hard to understand about Jesus clear teaching on the matter?

Melody

We have been through this before.

This was a trap that Jesus outsmarted.

Yet for sake of argument. Even if it weren't a trap the story would still be a poor example because.....

Jesus commaned her to repent!

She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” - John 8:11

That is not a command to repent that is a commend to stop sinning, and even then it was after the act of forgiveness.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

That is not a command to repent that is a commend to stop sinning
:shocked: I almost choked on my soda when I read that. :chuckle:

Melody, I like you. You seem like a nice person.

But try to be serious here.

Stopping sinning IS repenting!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

........ and even then it was after the act of forgiveness.
So you think that is the object lesson from the story of the woman caught in adultery????

So you're saying...... Jesus was trying to tell us to forgive sinners and then command them to repent? :confused:

Uh... I think you better read that story again and try a little harder this time. Maybe you could pray for discernment.

Melody

So you think that is the object lesson from the story of the woman caught in adultery????

So you're saying...... Jesus was trying to tell us to forgive sinners and then command them to repent? :confused:

Uh... I think you better read that story again and try a little harder this time. Maybe you could pray for discernment.

First of all we don't have the capability to forgive sinners, only God has that privilege. We do have the responsibility to forgive offenses done to us personally. And the scripture is clear that if we don't forgive those offenses then we have blocked our access for God to forgive us ours.

If you want to wait for someone to ask your forgiveness before you let go of the offenses. You go ahead, I don't have the time or emotional resources to keep track of everyone that has ever hurt me.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

First of all we don't have the capability to forgive sinners, only God has that privilege.
Hmmmm what shall we do with the dozens of verses in the Bible stating we should forgive?????

We do have the responsibility to forgive offenses done to us personally. And the scripture is clear that if we don't forgive those offenses then we have blocked our access for God to forgive us ours.
Yet only to the repentant as Jesus so clearly has stated.

If you want to wait for someone to ask your forgiveness before you let go of the offenses. You go ahead, I don't have the time or emotional resources to keep track of everyone that has ever hurt me.
I am curious.....

What is it about....

......and if he repents, forgive him. - Luke 17:3

That you don't understand?

In your opinion.... what was Jesus REALLY saying when He said....
"......and if he repents, forgive him."?????