Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't want a fish tank

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I had a fish tank once. I rented a room in my house to a HS buddy and he was a fish lover. Soon after moving in, he acquired a 55 gallon fish tank and stand, then he got two Oscars, one was albino They grew really fast and I quickly learned to enjoy watching the fish, really relaxing. I learned more about tanks and fish, but I'm not close to being really knowledgeable although, I bought a cichlid of my own, a Jack Dempsey. I loved that little fish. Dave bought his fish as babies, so I got a baby Dempsey. He didn't grow as fast but he held his own, often taking an aggressive stance (fish take stances), he got to be about 4 inches, some time later the guy moved out and took his tank.

I scrounged up a 10 gallon tank but not a properly fitting lid. Long story short, there was an opening just big enough for Jack to fit through and he jumped out while i was at work. I was devastated. So, i may get a 30 gallon tank in a year or so and another Dempsey.

My interest in starting a Fish Tank thread is to get feedback and learn about other kinds of fish. I am also interested in any fish stories anyone has to share.

Jack Dempsey
View attachment 24007

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I had about a dozen once. One was 180 gallon and one was a 180 gallon, one was a 90 gallon. All the rest were smaller 55 gallon and some 30 gallon. Yes I bred Cichlids: Texas, Red Devils, Green Terrors, Fire Mouth, and the ones you had.

You should have a 'had a fish tank' poll question.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I had about a dozen once. One was 180 gallon and one was a 180 gallon, one was a 90 gallon. All the rest were smaller 55 gallon and some 30 gallon. Yes I bred Cichlids: Texas, Red Devils, Green Terrors, Fire Mouth, and the ones you had.

You should have a 'had a fish tank' poll question.

I put a poll on here, of sorts

Lon

Thanks a lot Lon for the pics, very inspiring. Is that one tank you have ? What kinds of fish and/or frogs ? I didn't know you could have a frog in a fish tank !!
The tank is small (10 Gallon) but it is very well set up with a biofilter (1gallon) and aerator bar. Neons and African dwarf frogs (they live mostly on the bottom of the tank but swim to the top (air breathers), they need to be dropper fed but it isn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Live plants also. The fish have to be smaller and nonaggressive with frogs :)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I put a poll on here, of sorts

I do not have any now. The 90 gallon one was plastic and given to me. I had to repair it. Then after a few years, it broke lose and all the water and fish came out on the floor; my husband was not pleased!

Once my kids were older, I began to sell them off.

With those big talks, one needs to use jets, as bubble tubes will not put enough oxygen in the tank for big fish.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I do not have any now. The 90 gallon one was plastic and given to me. I had to repair it. Then after a gew years, it broke lose and all the water and fish came out on the floor; my husband was not pleased!

Once my kids were older, I began to sell them off.

With those big talks, one needs to use jets, as bubble tubes will not put enough oxygen in the tank for big fish.

Sounds like you were pretty advanced with the big size tanks and all. I will stay small and just a few fish, probably all cichlids and a proclostamus for the algea. I want low maintenance and less fish poop

Lon

Sounds like you were pretty advanced with the big size tanks and all. I will stay small and just a few fish, probably all cichlids and a proclostamus for the algea. I want low maintenance and less fish poop

Any more, if you are willing to drop a few dollars, they have completely automated systems. If you use a biofilter, which is a pump tank with about 7 filters but maintains equilibrium, you hardly have to touch the tank. It is pretty amazing, even with a salt water tank as far as I've been told (can't speak from experience about that - it is more expensive).

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

You got it, that's the way to do it. Ask Lon, if you go big you need one of those big round filters that sit in the ground to keep it clean. Red devils are the meanest fish. they will head butt you if you put your hand in the tank. They also will kill proclostamus, if the move off they side of the tank. Mean fish!

Bass are also mean fish.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The tank is small (10 Gallon) but it is very well set up with a biofilter (1gallon) and aerator bar. Neons and African dwarf frogs (they live mostly on the bottom of the tank but swim to the top (air breathers), they need to be dropper fed but it isn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Live plants also. The fish have to be smaller and nonaggressive with frogs :)

Very interesting, it might be even more fun with tiny frogs, how long do they generally live ? I guess they don't jump out at feeding time ?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Oscars will get very big fast if you feed then river minnows. You need a big tank and clean minnows. trout food is the best staple. For the big set-up, you need to use round gravel, small and medium size, not that colored plastic coated rock.

Lon

if you go big you need one of those big round filters that sit in the ground to keep it clean.
Yep, I have one on my 10 gallon :) The computer system on a friend's tank tells him PH/acidity, temperature change. I'm thinking one day they will even chemically correct it for you.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Yep, I have one on my 10 gallon :) The computer system on a friend's tank tells him PH/acidity, temperature change. I'm thinking one day they will even chemically correct it for you.

Pretty fancy! I had mine before most persons had computers. My fish were sold all over the county.