Fiona Hill: "The president was trying to stage a coup"

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The Jan. 6 committee revealed on Tuesday that former President Donald Trump was “directly” involved in the illegal campaign to fabricate phony slates of electors in key swing states. So too was Rudy Giuliani. So too was John Eastman, who wrote the “coup memo” instructing former Vice President Mike Pence to stop the certification of the Electoral College. So too, apparently, was Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.) — so much so that he wanted to subvert the will of his state’s own voters and hand-deliver fraudulent Wisconsin electors to Pence on Jan. 6.

The committee displayed a text message from one of Johnson’s staffers, sent just minutes before Pence was set to certify the election, stating that the senator wanted to give Pence the fake electors from Wisconsin and Michigan. “Do not give that to him,” replied one of Pence’s staffers.

Alexa Henning, a spokesperson for Johnson, responded on Twitter that the senator had no involvement in the “creation of an alternate slate of electors” and that he did not know his office would receive the slate ahead of time. She did not refute anything revealed in the hearing.

The committee also revealed on Tuesday that the Trump campaign was involved in the effort to transport the fake slates of electors from the states to Washington, D.C.; that Eastman asked the Republican National Committee to assist in the scheme; and that the White House counsel’s office informed key players like Giuliani and Chief of Staff Mark Meadows that the scheme was not legally sound. They proceeded with it anyway.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Trump's hour-long crazy bundle of lies, intimidation, intent, and desperation:

Full Phone Call: Trump Pressures Georgia Secretary of State To Recount Election Votes​

Another Fantasy Island episode from the Groomer Party.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
From Trump's account on Truth Social:

View attachment 3731

"... the likes of which has never been seen... before..."

Never heard him say that before. 😂

The committee chair has said "We welcome the former president, he will have to come under oath. He’s a citizen. And if he thinks he can come to our committee under oath, and perjure himself, then I would suggest he does not come."

So will he or won't he? We'll see.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"... the likes of which has never been seen... before..."

Never heard him say that before. 😂

The committee chair has said "We welcome the former president, he will have to come under oath. He’s a citizen. And if he thinks he can come to our committee under oath, and perjure himself, then I would suggest he does not come."

So will he or won't he? We'll see.

Ha! Corrupt Don will not testify.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

4 takeaways from the fourth Jan. 6 hearing

Aaron Blake

The House committee probing the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol held its fourth hearing Tuesday afternoon, focusing on President Donald Trump’s pressure campaign on state and local officials to help overturn the 2020 election results, along with his team’s “fake electors” plot.

1. Rusty Bowers’s compelling testimony: More evidence the Trump team knew its effort was illegal​

Arizona House Speaker Russell “Rusty” Bowers (R) provided some of the most compelling testimony at Tuesday’s hearing — and of any hearing thus far. In doing so, he added to the growing volume of evidence that Trump’s team was told its plot to overturn the election was illegal.
Bowers said Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani asked him to look into potentially removing Joe Biden’s electors in Bowers’s state, at which point he bucked.

“He pressed that point, and I said, ‘Look, you are asking me to do something that is counter to my oath, when I swore to the Constitution to uphold it. And I also swore to the Constitution and the laws of the state of Arizona. And this is totally foreign as an idea or a theory to me. And I would never do anything of such magnitude without deep consultation with qualified attorneys,'” Bowers said. “And I said, ‘I’ve got some good attorneys, and I’m going to give you their names. But you’re asking me to do something against my oath and I will not break my oath.’”
Bowers also recalled Giuliani acknowledging at one point that he didn’t yet have the evidence to back up the action he was asking for.

“My recollection [is] he said, ‘We’ve got lots of theories; we just don’t have the evidence,’” Bowers said. “And I don’t know if that was a gaffe or maybe he didn’t think through what he said. But both myself and others in my group — the three in my group and my counsel — both remembered that specifically.”

Bowers said Trump lawyer John Eastman also inquired about decertifying the electors — supposedly so the courts could decide — at which point Bowers offered a similar response about the lack of evidence to back that up, even if he could do it.

“And I said, 'You’re asking me to do something that’s never been done in history — the history of the United States. And I’m not going to put my state through that without sufficient proof? And that’s going to be good enough with me? … No, sir.”

The committee previously introduced testimony and evidence that Eastman both acknowledged and was told the Jan. 6 plot broke the law. A White House lawyer also said Giuliani conceded to him that the plot was unlikely to stand up in court.
Bowers added that when he found out the Trump campaign had designated fake electors in Arizona on Dec. 14, his reaction was that “this is a tragic parody.”

He also said that, as late as the morning of Jan. 6, Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) called and asked him to sign a letter supporting decertification of Arizona’s electors.

2. RNC chair links Trump to fake-elector plot​

3. Officials talks about intense pressure, protesters near families

4. Another member of the GOP testifies about Trump’s false statements​

Full outline at the link.