Fiona Hill: "The president was trying to stage a coup"

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

GOP lawmaker's husband linked to Three Percenter pickup parked outside Capitol during insurrection

A pickup truck bearing a Three Percenter militia sticker that was parked outside the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 has been traced to the husband of a Hitler-quoting Republican lawmaker.

Rep. Mary Miller (R-IL) gained infamy two days after she was sworn in -- and one day before the deadly riot -- by saying Adolf Hitler "was right on one thing," and the militia-endorsing pickup was linked to her husband by the @capitolhunters Twitter account that's crowd-sourcing efforts to identify participants in the insurrection, reported The Daily Beast.

"Army friend gave me decal. Thought it was a cool decal. Took it off because of negative pub," said Chris Miller, the congresswoman's husband and himself a member of the Illinois House of Representatives, in an email statement to The Beast.

Chris Miller insists he was never a member of the loosely organized anti-government militia, and claims he "didn't know anything about 3% till fake news started this fake story and read about them."

The state lawmaker's pickup was photographed outside the Capitol, which is inaccessible to regular vehicle traffic, raised questions about who it belonged to and how it got there.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
MY5sM7B.png

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Even Trump’s Defense Secretary During the Capitol Riot Blames Him for Inciting It

Former Acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller told VICE on Showtime he believes Trump’s speech caused the violent mob to attack the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

One of the most senior Cabinet officials in the Trump administration, Acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller, has told VICE on Showtime that he believes the speech made by former President Donald Trump on the morning of January 6 was responsible for causing the mob to violently attack the Capitol later that day.

Trump installed Miller after firing his predecessor Mark Esper in the days after the election. Speaking exclusively to VICE on Showtime, Miller said, “Would anybody have marched on the Capitol, and tried to overrun the Capitol, without the president’s speech? I think it’s pretty much definitive that wouldn’t have happened.”

Gotta wonder if Miller's setting up his defense.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Even Trump’s Defense Secretary During the Capitol Riot Blames Him for Inciting It

Former Acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller told VICE on Showtime he believes Trump’s speech caused the violent mob to attack the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

One of the most senior Cabinet officials in the Trump administration, Acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller, has told VICE on Showtime that he believes the speech made by former President Donald Trump on the morning of January 6 was responsible for causing the mob to violently attack the Capitol later that day.

Trump installed Miller after firing his predecessor Mark Esper in the days after the election. Speaking exclusively to VICE on Showtime, Miller said, “Would anybody have marched on the Capitol, and tried to overrun the Capitol, without the president’s speech? I think it’s pretty much definitive that wouldn’t have happened.”
Please quote me a single sentence during that speech where Trump advocated (er, um, incited) a riot.

marke

“The president was trying to stage a coup. There was little chance of it happening, but there was enough chance that the former defense secretaries had to put out that letter, which was the final nail through that effort. They prevented the military from being involved in any coup attempt. But instead, Trump tried to incite it himself,” said Fiona Hill, Trump’s former top Russia adviser. “This could have turned into a full-blown coup had he had any of those key institutions following him. Just because it failed or didn’t succeed doesn’t mean it wasn’t real.”

Trump Officials Rush to Keep Him From Sparking Another Conflict—at Home or Abroad

High-ranking national-security officials have spent the last 24 hours scrambling to figure out how to keep their commander-in-chief, Donald Trump, from inciting further violence at home, spilling national secrets, or sparking last-minute confrontations with international foes.

The concerns in the upper echelons of the administration’s national-security community range from fears inside the Pentagon that the president will do or say something that effectively throws the U.S. into a military confrontation with another country to anxieties in the intelligence apparatus that Trump will divulge classified intelligence on his way out, according to four officials who spoke with The Daily Beast about the matter. All requested to remain anonymous in order to speak more openly about the discussions.

“This isn’t a hypothetical anymore,” said one senior administration official. “This is real. What happened yesterday changed the calculus. People are concerned about [the president’s] state of mind.”

Much more at the link.

“Yesterday was the worst day for the Republican Party since Lincoln’s assassination.”
— Joe Grogan, Trump’s former top domestic policy adviser
We are finding that wishy-washy republicans and hard-core leftist commies fully believe Trump committed treason because a mixed mob of political activists did a little bit of property damage at the Capitol on Jan. 6. Anyone who fails to see the folly in such deliberate attacks driven by dishonest corrupt partisan propaganda is simply unwise.

marke

It is heart-rending the repeated accounts of police officers being assaulted and murdered by deranged gangsters. I blame this on the devil and sinners who choose to side with the devil by rejecting Jesus as Lord and Savior. More than a thousand police officers were brutally assaulted and injured in 2020 alone.

marke

"For no reason?" You see "no reason" to attack his character? His character brought us to where we are.

I'm curious. Will it be all right to attack his character after 1/20 when he's no longer president? Is this hands-off because he's the president, or because he's Trump?
Democrat demons cannot understand why it is wrong to hate a legally elected president of the US for four years and file all sorts of false charges against him. They are like devotees to Hitler who saw nothing wrong with murdering Jews or supporters of Planned Parenthood who see nothing wrong with murdering unborn babies in the womb.

marke

Senate Hearing on the Capitol attack of Jan. 6: currently testifying are Former Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund, former Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Michael Stenger, former House Sergeant-at-Arms Paul Irving and Robert Contee, the acting chief of police for the Metropolitan Police Department.

Senator Amy Klobuchar:

“Based on what we know now, including the recent department of justice indictments, do you agree that there is now clear evidence that supports the conclusion that the January 6th insurrection was planned and it was a coordinated attack on the U.S. Capitol?”

“Would you agree that this attack involved white supremacists and extremist groups?”

“Would you agree that this was a highly dangerous situation which was horrific, but could have actually been worse without the courage of the officers that you commanded?”

All four officials agreed to each question.
When one government official says one thing and another says something different, there is obviously cause to question both accounts. Truth can be perverted by bias, bad judgment, poor judgment, ignorance or other things. Just because one or a hundred people say something similar does not mean they are right, especially if there are reasonable evidences and arguments to the contrary.

marke

Adam Kinzinger:

Winston Churchill famously said, “Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.” All Americans, but especially my fellow Republicans, should remember this wisdom during the Senate’s trial of former president Donald Trump.

I say this as a lifelong Republican who voted to impeach Trump last month. Virtually all my colleagues on the right side of the aisle took the opposite path. Most felt it was a waste of time — political theater that distracted from bigger issues. The overwhelming majority of Senate Republicans appear to feel the same way about conviction.

But this isn’t a waste of time. It’s a matter of accountability. If the GOP doesn’t take a stand, the chaos of the past few months, and the past four years, could quickly return. The future of our party and our country depends on confronting what happened — so it doesn’t happen again.

The immediate cause for Trump’s impeachment was Jan. 6. But the president’s rally and resulting riot on Capitol Hill didn’t come out of nowhere.

They were the result of four-plus years of anger, outrage and outright lies. Perhaps the most dangerous lie — or at least the most recent — was that the election was stolen. Of course it wasn’t, but a huge number of Republican leaders encouraged the belief that it was. Every time that lie was repeated, the riots of Jan. 6 became more likely.

Even now, many Republicans refuse to admit what happened. They continue to feed anger and resentment among the people. On Jan. 6, that fury led to the murder of a Capitol Police officer and the deaths of four other Americans. If that rage is still building, where does it go from here?
Impeachment offers a chance to say enough is enough. It ought to force every American, regardless of party affiliation, to remember not only what happened on Jan. 6, but also the path that led there. After all, the situation could get much, much worse — with more violence and more division that cannot be overcome. The further down this road we go, the closer we come to the end of America as we know it.

The Republican Party I joined as a young man would never take that road. The GOP that inspired me to serve in uniform and then run for public office believed a brighter future was just around the bend. We stood for equal opportunity, firm in our conviction that a poor kid from the South Side of Chicago deserves the same shot as a privileged kid from Highland Park. We knew that if we brought everyone into America’s promise, we would unleash a new era of American progress and prosperity. Outrage and the fear of a darker future were nowhere to be found in that Republican Party.

When leaders such as Donald Trump changed that dynamic, many of my fellow Republicans went along without question. Many are still there because they believe the rank-and-file Republican voter is there, too. But I think that’s an illusion. The anger and outrage are drowning out the much larger group of people who reject that approach. Worse, many have gone silent because they assume the party’s leaders no longer represent them. They’re waiting for leaders who will say what they know is true.

Since my vote to impeach Trump, I’ve heard from tens of thousands of my constituents. Their reaction has been overwhelmingly supportive. Republicans of all backgrounds and outlooks have told me they appreciate my efforts to return the GOP to a foundation of principle, not personality. I’ve even heard from many Democrats. They don’t agree with me on a lot of issues, but they want the Republican Party to be healthy and competitive.

I firmly believe the majority of Americans — Republican, Democrat, independent, you name it — reject the madness of the past four years. But we’ll never move forward by ignoring what happened or refusing to hold accountable those responsible. That will embolden the few who led us here and dishearten the many who know America is better than this. It will make it more likely that we see more anger, violence and chaos in the years ahead.

The better path is to learn the lessons of the recent past. Convicting Donald Trump is necessary to save America from going further down a sad, dangerous road.
Those who voted to impeach Trump understand nothing about due process, tainted testimony, inadmissable evidence, violation of civil rights, hearsay, or unsupported speculations.

marke

I just watched the video timeline presented by the House managers during the impeachment trial.

It had footage I've not seen before, interspersed with Trump's incitement at the rally, like the MAGA saying they needed 30K guns and someone replying "next time." Footage of MAGAs bashing a window with an America flag. Going down the halls kicking in doors screaming "where are they?" Saying they were there for Trump. These animals were there for Trump, because Trump sent them there.
Sadly, it does not take much on the part of hateful unjust lying propagandists to completely fool some rubes into believing all sorts of nonsense which is not true.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The idea that this was a coup attempt by Trump is beyond stupid. And I'm not even a Trump supporter. If Trump wanted to stage a real coup then why not do what what people do in REAL coup's? In real coup's the military is almost always used. Why didn't Trump used the military? Instead Trump sent in QShaman and a bunch of mostly unarmed people (though a few had firearms and explosives) wearing MAGA hats and carrying confederate flags? Seriously? In real coups the military takes over, arrests members of the government and usually imposes martial law. This is what a REAL coup looks like.

View attachment 292
"Beyond stupid" is annabananahead's middle name