Feminism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Life isn't always that simple.

My mother, a lutheran, married my father, a catholic.

My brother, an atheist, married a christian

My aunt, a lutheran, my uncle, a catholic

My cousin, a catholic, married an atheist

Me, an agnostic pagan, married a muslim.

Out of that religious stew, you're the one who's the most way-out

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned

It can work, it's funny that my husband and I are more politically aligned than the previous relationship I mentioned in a previous post. Going on stereotypes alone, you'd think otherwise.

Notice that you didn't list Christians and Muslims, or Jews and Christians, or Jews and Muslims.
Roman Catholic and Calvinism would be a pretty good one among those as well.

It's all fine until one has diametrically opposed views of the same God.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Skybringer, radical feminism, and a woman's right to vote her opinion, are two very different things. I don't know why you keep joining the two together.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Skybringer, radical feminism, and a woman's right to vote her opinion, are two very different things.

One vote per household is what gives voting any point whatsoever.
I vouch for emancipated women to vote, not married women.

Why do I think this? Because I believe Paul, if he were still alive, would say the same thing.

Sitamun

Notice that you didn't list Christians and Muslims, or Jews and Christians, or Jews and Muslims.

It's all fine until one has diametrically opposed views of the same God.

I know of those marriages that work, they just aren't in my close circle. My brother is close to being a militant atheist, I would say his view of god is diametrically opposed to his wife's. My grandparents were anything but pleased when both their daughters married Catholics. They almost lost it when my parents were remarried in the Catholic Church and were told that my brother and I had to be raised catholic in order for our adoptions to go through. However, I do love the moving of goal posts from your original statement. I proved you wrong, that mixed religion marriages can work.

Christ's Word

I vouch for emancipated women to vote, not married women.

Feminsm is not about voting rights, if that were the case, there would be no need for it in this day and age.

Before women could vote, we had very little debt, and the Federal Government was not ignoring the Constitution every minute of the day, now look at where we are. Where are all the real men in this country?

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Skybringer, radical feminism, and a woman's right to vote her opinion, are two very different things. I don't know why you keep joining the two together.
I vouch for emancipated women to vote, not married women.......

Holy Moley.

Are they signing people up for the Crusades at your parish too?

Wow. :jawdrop:

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
I know of those marriages that work, they just aren't in my close circle. My brother is close to being a militant atheist, I would say his view of god is diametrically opposed to his wife's. My grandparents were anything but pleased when both their daughters married Catholics. They almost lost it when my parents were remarried in the Catholic Church and were told that my brother and I had to be raised catholic in order for our adoptions to go through. However, I do love the moving of goal posts from your original statement. I proved you wrong, that mixed religion marriages can work.

One's religion is supposed to come before anything, that's sort of the entire premise of one's worldview.

You talk about such relationships working, but only because in this day and age, a great many people put their religion second.

Which means that nothing is really being 'mixed', only marginalized. A convicted Catholic and a convicted Jew cannot be in a relationship, unless one is aiming to make God angry.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Holy Moley.

Are they signing people up for the Crusades at your parish too?

Wow. :jawdrop:

Nobody needs to sign up. Live long enough an you'll simply become part of it.

The Church knows the storm that's likely to come, why do you think she's been reaching out to them so much lately?

Sitamun

One's religion is supposed to come before anything, that's sort of the entire premise of one's worldview.

You talk about such relationships working, but only because in this day and age, a great many people put their religion second.

Which means that nothing is really being 'mixed', only marginalized.

That's right, let's just brush reality aside. So long as you can still rationalize to yourself why you are right. It can't possibly be because people are far more than their labels, and that those labels are not always what we were taught they were. In general, the world is realizing that we are far more alike than we thought. Labels, religious labels in particular, have historically done very little except divide us. If seeds were just seeds, nothing would ever grow.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
That's right, let's just brush reality aside. So long as you can still rationalize to yourself why you are right. It can't possibly be because people are far more than their labels, and that those labels are not always what we were taught they were. In general, the world is realizing that we are far more alike than we thought. Labels, religious labels in particular, have historically done very little except divide us. If seeds were just seeds, nothing would ever grow.

I'm just simply realistic. A person goes to church and the priest or preacher starts talking about the Resurrection of Jesus, and then someone else goes to a mosque and they are preaching the Islamic warning of heretics- and then you both go home and watch a movie..

What you are trying to do is move that reality away to trump worldly, secular notions.

The 5 solas

In theory, it's the act of someone making their spouse do something they don't want to do that irks people. It makes people think of domestic violence. If spouses vote differently, one democratic and one republican, for example, then the votes cancel each other out. So, I agree with the premise of your view but I disagree with anyone who thinks it should be the man alone who makes the decision for who both vote for.

I guess the thing is, I do not see how a married couple can differ in their vote.....especially a Christian couple, who are to be one in every way.
I do think though, as it has been shown, that when the wife is not politically minded she just votes as her husband recommends...it makes sense.

The 5 solas

And the Bible is not the law of the land, nor does it rule me.

And I figure that any woman I end up marrying is likely to end up voting the same way as me most of the time, but how she votes is not for me to say. She doesn't even have to tell me how she voted if she doesn't want to.

I specifically said Christian marriages. What those who live in rebellion to God do with regards to their voting or marriage is their own decision. For those who do believe the Bible to be the Word of God and seek to follow it, we are told how to live.

What kind a relationship is it that the two people who are supposed to be closest to each other in the world would not tell each other how they voted. That is just weird to me.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Feminsm is not about voting rights, if that were the case, there would be no need for it in this day and age.

Before women could vote, we had very little debt, and the Federal Government was not ignoring the Constitution every minute of the day, now look at where we are. Where are all the real men in this country?

Women voting wasn't considered because, before feminism, most women were married and men were the head of the household.

And guess what?
That was a time when society got things DONE.
Now we just twiddle our thumbs and labor under feminist philosophy- the real face of liberalism when it all comes down to it; people are so blinded by it that they can't see it for what it is.

~that is to say, the very way a left winger thinks in any and all matters is due in feminist philosophy~

Sitamun

I guess the thing is, I do not see how a married couple can differ in their vote.....especially a Christian couple, who are to be one in every way.
I do think though, as it has been shown, that when the wife is not politically minded she just votes as her husband recommends...it makes sense.

I used to feel the same way. I didn't understand how such a marriage could work. Really this is only an issue if both spouses are politically minded. If one isn't and just goes on the recommendation of their spouse that is fine. People can vote however they want, for their own reasons. I am not saying a spouse CAN'T look to their partner for their answer. My problem comes to those who think that they HAVE to vote the same way, and especially that the wife MUST defer to her husband. If she decides on her own for her own reasons that's fine.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned

SO

If we are subject to a government that is ran by the people, then we are by definition subject to ourselves.

'Murica was built on Protestant Christianity, which is why there is no feudal system there, unlike what one will see in Catholic history.

The 5 solas

It can work, it's funny that my husband and I are more politically aligned than the previous relationship I mentioned in a previous post. Going on stereotypes alone, you'd think otherwise.

I think the point in these examples is that, in each one, if people were truly representing what they stood for or their *label*, that they could not be in that relationship at all.

A staunch Roman Catholic would not marry a Lutheran or an Atheist, it would not be a recognized marriage according to RC doctrine.
A true Born Again Christian would not marry an Atheist, that would go against Scripture for being unequally yoked, light with darkness.
A stanch Muslim would not marry an Agnostic Pagan, if he was being true to the teachings he is to follow.

The reason any of these unions can be *successful* is only because they are not living out their faiths in the manner that their faiths say they should....or they would not have married those partners in the first place.

I am glad that they have what you say are successful marriages, but it sounds like they all need to work on their spiritual lives. I pray they come to know the true and living God.

Status
Not open for further replies.