ECT FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)

musterion

I was in a location this morning where I happened to overhear some FCA reps talking to a bunch of what looked like middle schoolers. I was typing for work but managed to note most of what was said.

Rep 1: Witnessing;

Friendship evangelism…famous coach who “gave his life to Christ.” Coach credits God for Clemson’s success [I have no idea]. Speaker then goes to Matthew 5:13, says it's some of his favorite verses on how to act and how to be a witness. As an illustration, he said they don’t want to be like cold, unsalted Chik Fil A waffle fries; need to be hot and salty, living the example of Christ for others to know there's something different about you.

Rep 2: Need to have a testimony…how you were before you were a Christian, how you are now and [I think he said] how God is using you now.

Rep 3: He was hired in a way where everything fell into place; that was God.

Not sure what Gospel is preached to/among this group, or is believed.

Much talk about Jesus but no indication of a gospel. The FCA has a reasonable Gospel presentation buried on their website, but nothing said at this particular meeting. They evidently did not see the need, or believe all in attendance are saved?

glorydaz

I was in a location this morning where I happened to overhear some FCA reps talking to a bunch of what looked like middle schoolers. I was typing for work but managed to note most of what was said.

Friendship evangelism…famous coach who “gave his life to Christ.” Coach credits God for Clemson’s success [I have no idea]. Speaker then goes to Matthew 5:13, says it's some of his favorite verses on how to act and how to be a witness. As an illustration, he said they don’t want to be like cold, unsalted Chik Fil A waffle fries; need to be hot and salty, living the example of Christ for others to know there's something different about you.

Rep 2: Need to have a testimony…how you were before you were a Christian, how you are now and [I think he said] how God is using you now.

Much talk about Jesus but no indication of a gospel. The FCA has a reasonable Gospel presentation buried on their website, but nothing said at this particular meeting. They evidently did not see the need, or believe all in attendance are saved?

I like it. Sharing testimonies, speaking of how God works in our lives....opening and closing certain doors. :thumb:

Danoh

Yeah, I've run into many a "I was once a..." this, that, the other "I until I found Jesus" or some such.

The problem with that is that it does not really put the focus on where the Scripture does - on that fact that no matter how wonderful, or how less than wonderful one was, before they trusted in Christ - said past was never the issue anyway.

Rather, the fact that all have sinned (have come short of the glory of God) is the actual issue...alone.

That personal testimony method clouds this issue up - too often ends up a Lordship salvation in the eyes of it's recipient.

Just look at all the personal testimonial based works salvationists even on TOL and that we are ever having to somehow have to attempt to get through to as to what the truth of the gospel actually is.

Two old accounts from Jordan on this...

In one, he tells of a Believer who he had established a good rapport with, when at some point the man revealed he was struggling with alcoholism.

So much for that individual's being able to rely on some sort of a changed life personal testimony.

Not to mention the sense of having been left out of some sort of a "supposed to have" personal victory the personal testimony turns the real issue into.

Also, the self-defeating legalism such testimonies can back fire into, on their hearer's part.

Jordan merely said to the guy - "quit calling God a liar; the Scripture says you are dead to sin, and that is what you are!"

Now THAT is a sound "testimony."

Of the New Creature!

In another account, he relates of his having been out with an Evangelist visiting the lost, and how it drove him up a wall that the Evangelist insisted on their reciting a "sinner's prayer" (which is also this notion of some sort of an on the spot personal testimony).

So, yeah, the personal testimony angle has it's automatically built-in problems.

This is why Mid-Acts is so important - for it's strong focus on the need to be crystal clear on what the actual issues are that one is to be focused on.

Though this too, can end up just as off-base and legalistic in the hands of some.

The whole thing nevertheless remains ever a fascinating one...

Truster

If an athlete were converted he would be granted repentance and would leave the sinful idolatry of sport.

glorydaz

Some would say that spending time on sites like TOL instead of in prayer is idolatry. What would you say to them

I don't care what people say. I do like this verse, though. :)

Jeremiah 6:16
Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

Truster

Some would say that spending time on sites like TOL instead of in prayer is idolatry. What would you say to them

I find it difficult to understand why you seem to think it would be necessary to stop praying when reading or typing. What I read or see is more often than not prayer inducing.