Favorite Stew Recipes

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Winter is coming and I love to cook stews.

Please share your favorite recipes; I am especially interested in Truster's "Traditional Welsh Stew!"

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I LOVE stew.

1 tin of stewed beef
I tin of sliced carrots
I tin of peeled tomatoes
1 tin of potatoes

whatever spices I have hanging around.

bybee

Winter is coming and I love to cook stews.

Please share your favorite recipes; I am especially interested in Truster's "Traditional Welsh Stew!"

Normally I make beef stew. Dredge the meat in flour, then brown it with onions and celery and season it, then add a small amount of water, let cook for awhile. Then add carrots, potatoes and, my favorite, rhutabega! Have lots of crusty bread to dip in the gravy!
Oh nums!

Truster

Day before soak 2 good handfuls of dried peas, oat, lentils etc in water over night.

Meat chicken, beef or lamb. I use a medium weight chicken or 840 g of beef or lamb. If it’s a chicken I boil/simmer it in seasoned water about half an hour before I start preparing the vegetables and then strip off all the meat later. Take the chicken out of the pan and use the water for the cawl.

I use a 7 liter saucepan.

Four large carrots
One medium sized swede
Three large onions
Four large turnips
Two or three large leeks.
Four or five large potatoes.

Set the dried veg to cook in a separate pan of seasoned water. I normally add them to the cawl at the end.

Add the lamb or meat to a pan of seasoned water about 3 liters.
Bring to the boil and at this point you can remove the scum or leave it. I leave it.

Then add all the chopped fresh vegetables and return to the boil. Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer. Taste the water for seasoning at this point. If your using chicken add it at this point.

It should all be nice and tender after about 45 minutes. The secret of Welsh Cawl is that you make it the day before you need it. The cooling overnight improves the flavor and the consistency. It you do this again you’ll have three day cawl which is the nicest treat you’ll ever have.

Eaten with brown bread and lumps of mature cheddar cheese dropped in it to melt.

It was the norm to have a big pan of cawl on the go in all Welsh homes. As it was used more meat and veg would be added.

I’m just about to have a bowl for my supper.

bybee

Day before soak 2 good handfuls of dried peas, oat, lentils etc in water over night.

Meat chicken, beef or lamb. I use a medium weight chicken or 840 g of beef or lamb. If it’s a chicken I boil/simmer it in seasoned water about half an hour before I start preparing the vegetables and then strip off all the meat later. Take the chicken out of the pan and use the water for the cawl.

Four large carrots
One medium sized swede
Three large onions
Four large turnips

Set the dried veg to cook in a separate pan of seasoned water. I normally add them to the cawl at the end.

Bring to the boil and at this point you can remove the scum or leave it. I leave it.

Then add all the chopped fresh vegetables and return to the boil. Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer. Taste the water for seasoning at this point. If your using chicken add it at this point.

It should all be nice and tender after about 45 minutes. The secret of Welsh Cawl is that you make it the day before you need it. The cooling overnight improves the flavor and the consistency. It you do this again you’ll have three day cawl which is the nicest treat you’ll ever have.

Eaten with brown bread and lumps of mature cheddar cheese dropped in it to melt.

It was the norm to have a big pan of cawl on the go in all Welsh homes. As it was used more meat and veg would be added.

Bon appetite! Sounds simply wonderful!

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Is this two handfuls of each, or two handfuls total from a choice of one?

Four large carrots
One medium sized swede
Three large onions
Four large turnips

The secret to a good stew, is the rutabaga (swede). I usually include two (cubed), and sometimes add a fresh large beet (quartered) to enhance the gravy.

Thanks . . . this sounds wonderful and I will try it just as your recipe reads. I especially like the cheddar cheese garnish!

bybee

The secret to a good stew, is the rutabaga (swede). I usually include two (cubed), and sometimes add a fresh large beet (quartered) to enhance the gravy.

Thanks . . . this sounds wonderful and I will try it just as your recipe reads. I especially like the cheddar cheese garnish!

I never thought to add a beet. I will in future! Love beets!

Truster

I buy the dried veg mix in a pack. I have large hands so 250g would be about right. The beef I bought yesterday was casserole beef and is not as good as stewing steak. Shin of beef is the best cut for stew and you'd need to increase the cooking time of the beef before adding the veg. About 30 mins should do it.

I'm just about to deliver a portion to one of my neighbours for lunch. I love the sound of uummmmmm coming for the mouths of people who appreciate simple fare.

Truster

rutabaga (swede).

In Wales we have a dish called poch trywddo which simply means boiled through. Two parts potato and one part swede boiled together and mashed with a blob of salted butter. Give the swede a ten minute head start in boiling because the cooking time is longer. Place the swede in cold salted water with a lid on and when its boiled for ten minutes add the potato and cook for a further 20-25 minutes.

Is everyone aware of the lid on lid off and cold or boiling water rules when cooking vegetables?

genuineoriginal

Where can I buy a tin of rhutabega? :idunno:
Walmart?
0004144311321_500X500.jpg

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Isn't the shin in the same place whatever the lingo?

:idunno: Yeah....But, It's been my experience that most Americans really don't know enough about where each cut comes from from a beast to be able to translate the the different names for them....And if you go into a butcher shop and ask for a cow "shin" the butcher will look at you like you are an idiot...Unless it's a grocery store butcher section...In which case he'd probably look at you like he's an idiot.

Heck, I'm still shocked by the amount of people that I run across who don't know American bacon comes from pork belly. :doh: The modern grocery store has ruined most Americans knowledge about what they are eating.

Truster

:idunno: Yeah....But, It's been my experience that most Americans really don't know enough about where each cut comes from from a beast to be able to translate the the different names for them....And if you go into a butcher shop and ask for a cow "shin" the butcher will look at you like you are an idiot...Unless it's a grocery store butcher section...In which case he'd probably look at you like he's an idiot.

Heck, I'm still shocked by the amount of people that I run across who don't know American bacon comes from pork belly. :doh: The modern grocery store has ruined most Americans knowledge about what they are eating.

It's a sad truth and I find myself in agreement. I just remembered an argument I had in a butcher shop over cuts of meat. The woman didn't have a clue about cuts in relation to methods of cooking, but continued to pretend she did. I took a year out in 1979 and spent it studying and practicing French Cuisine which included butchery. It was a very good investment of time.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It's a sad truth and I find myself in agreement. I just remembered an argument I had in a butcher shop over cuts of meat. The woman didn't have a clue about cuts in relation to methods of cooking, but continued to pretend she did.

What used to be common knowledge to the average homemaker has been lost to the sands of time and convenience. :sigh:

I took a year out in 1979 and spent it studying and practicing French Cuisine which included butchery. It was a very good investment of time.

I have no doubt. :e4e: