Favorite Quotations

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The written word is far more powerful than simply a reminder: it recreates the past in the present, and gives us, not the familiar remembered thing, but the glittering intensity of the summoned-up hallucination.
Northrop Frye

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright

Buzzword

"Use either no ornament or good ornament."

Part of the artist's creed, I think, if artists had a creed.

Yep. Reminds me of this little gem.

“Given the choice between trivial material told brilliantly versus profound material told badly, an audience will always choose the trivial told brilliantly.”
-Robert McKee, Story

PureX

Yep. Reminds me of this little gem.

“Given the choice between trivial material told brilliantly versus profound material told badly, an audience will always choose the trivial told brilliantly.”
-Robert McKee, Story
And I agree with the audience, as the 'art' is in the telling.

Buzzword

“…politicians are always calling the troops the greatest soldiers in history, and it struck me that while deifying was better than demonizing them, it still lessened their humanity and thus made their suffering more mythical and less real and thus less guilt-inducing.”
-Matt Polly, Tapped Out

"Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe and Lao-Tzu, Einstein, Morobuto, Buddy Holly, Aristophanes, and all of this, all of this was for nothing unless we go to the stars."
-Babylon 5

And Now for Something Completely Different

And Now for Something Completely Different

"It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi Berra

"Never answer an anonymous letter" - Yogi Berra

"When you come to a fork in the road....Take it" - Yogi Berra

When asked what time is was......" you mean now?" - Yogi Berra

"The future ain't what it used to be" - Yogi Berra

Buzzword

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."
-Harriet Beecher Stowe

exminister

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."
-Harriet Beecher Stowe
Reminds me of Jose Wales.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

Buzzword

“Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel.”
-John Quinton

“So everything that doesn't fit into some stupid idea of what you think God wants you just try to hide or fix or get rid of?”
-Saved!

Buzzword

“And just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse; just when you truly believed that things couldn’t get worse, they did. One final twist of the metaphorical knife, one last sly jab with the red-hot poker. Into the midst of our misery there came … the power ballad.”
-Dave Thompson, I Hate New Music: The Classic Rock Manifesto