Favorite Quotations

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Correction: The Germans never invaded the island of Britain.

A quote from actual history comes to us from American Lieutenant General Lewis B."Chesty" Puller, while surrounded by eight Wehrmacht divisions:
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time."
I got my info from my step dad, he served in WWII with third armored division, I wonder what other fantasies he told. I'll never know now he died in 1998.

Buzzword

I got my info from my step dad, he served in WWII with third armored division, I wonder what other fantasies he told. I'll never know now he died in 1998.

Operation Sea Lion

To have had any chance of success, however, the operation would have required air and naval supremacy over the English Channel – neither of which the Germans ever had at any stage during the Battle of Britain. Sea Lion was postponed indefinitely on 17 September 1940 and never carried out.

No offense or disrespect intended, but the facts are the facts.

Also, to continue the thread:
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure, or nothing."
-Helen Keller

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
But if the Republican Party cannot get some grip of the actual world we live in and from it generalize and actively promote a program that means something to the masses of people - why, somebody else will. Then there will be nothing to argue. The voters will simply vote Republicans into singularity. The Republic Party will become like one of those dark little shops which apparently never sell anything. If for any reason you go in, you find at the back an old man, fingering for his own pleasure some oddments of cloth. Nobody wants to buy them, which is fine because the old man is not really interested in selling. He just likes to hold and to feel...

The prescient Whittaker Chambers, ca 1959

Buzzword

“…Christianity started in Israel; was exported to Greece, where it was made into a philosophy; taken to Rome, where it was made into an organization; sent to Europe, where it was made into a culture; and sent finally to America, where evangelicals made it into a business enterprise.”
-Tony Campolo, Speaking My Mind

“We, as a nation, are hero killers. If George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were alive today, we would be so consumed with their personal lives and their addictions and frailties that I doubt they would ever be allowed to be great.”
-Karen Hunter, Stop Being Niggardly

“A word to the wise ain’t necessary – it’s the stupid ones that need the advice.”
-Bill Cosby

sky.

BANNED
Banned
IF I make the lashes dark
And the eyes more bright
And the lips more scarlet,
Or ask if all be right
From mirror after mirror,
No vanity's displayed:
I'm looking for the face I had
Before the world was made.

-William Butler Yeats

Buzzword

So live, that when thy summons comes to join
The innumerable caravan which moves
To that mysterious realm, where each shall take
His chamber in the silent halls of death,
Thou go not, like the quarry-slave at night,
Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed
By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.

-William Cullen Bryant

Buzzword

“…beware the man who says he knows God’s will. He is like a horse that believes it controls its rider.”
-Bernard Cornwell, Agincourt

“Noise is relative to the silence preceding it. The more absolute the hush, the more shocking the thunderclap. Our masters have not heard the people’s voice for generations, Evey, and it is much, much louder than they care to remember.”
-Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

"The truth is that all of these branches in this tree called Christianity are a bit defective. But each adds to the beauty of the whole. What a tragedy if we were to cut off all but one of the limbs. But what riches are to be found if we can humbly listen and learn from one another, appreciating our differences, while together seeking to follow Christ."
-Adam Hamilton, Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

"It has always been the prime function of mythology and rite to supply the symbols that carry the human spirit forward, in counteraction to those constant human fantasies that tend to tie it back. In fact, it may well be that the very high incidence of neuroticism among ourselves follows from the decline among us of such effective spiritual aid. "
-Joseph Campbell, The Hero with a Thousand Faces

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
-George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

exminister

If you find yourself in hell, keep walking - Winston Churchill

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Helen Keller

Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter - don't remember.

exminister

"I think the most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A death. What's that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work. You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You go to college, you do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating. You finish off as a gleam in somebody's eye!"
-Sean Morey
That's like playing a country song backwards.

exminister

Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction

All I know is just what I read in the papers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance

Things ain't what they used to be and never were.

Will Rogers

PureX

THE TWO BUMS

“The bum on the rod is hunted down
As the enemy of mankind;
The other is driven around to his club
And feted, wined and dined.

And they who curse the bum on the rods
As the essence of all that is bad
Will greet the other with a winning smile
And extend him the hand so glad.

The bum on the rods is a social flea