Favorite Quotations

bybee

Have a favorite quotation?

Famous, infamous, obscure, secular, religious, ancient, modern. profound, pithy or humorous: post it here.

If you have context or commentary, feel free to add that too.

"I AM LOST!
I've gone to look for myself.
If I should return before I get back,
Please ask me to wait."

Sometimes it just goes like that.:confused:

Buzzword

“Myth is much more important and true than history. History is just journalism and you know how reliable that is.”
-Joseph Campbell.

Quincy

Read the thread. At least I know who Mark Twain is :chuckle: . Have some Stephen Fry.

“I like to wake up each morning and not know what I think, that I may reinvent myself in some way.” ― Stephen Fry

“Enthusiats are used to being mocked, maligned and misunderstood. We don't really mind.” ― Stephen Fry, The Fry Chronicles

“It's not all bad. Heightened self-consciousness, apartness, an inability to join in, physical shame and self-loathing—they are not all bad. Those devils have been my angels. Without them I would never have disappeared into language, literature, the mind, laughter and all the mad intensities that made and unmade me.” ― Stephen Fry, Moab Is My Washpot

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinions of himself than on the opinions of others."

Marcus Aurelius​

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.

~~~

You know, it's not the world that was my oppressor, because what the world does to you, if the world does it to you long enough and effectively enough, you begin to do to yourself.

~~~

People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it very simply; by the lives they lead.

~~~

Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.

James Baldwin

bybee

I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.

~~~

You know, it's not the world that was my oppressor, because what the world does to you, if the world does it to you long enough and effectively enough, you begin to do to yourself.

~~~

People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it very simply; by the lives they lead.

~~~

Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.

James Baldwin

I read James Baldwin as a young woman. His pain was always mingled with his intense anger and hatred. I had to force myself to finish reading (can't remember the title).
I could feel his hurt and it was awful. But what was more awful, to me, was that no possibility of healing seemed to exist in his armor-encased microcosm.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I read James Baldwin as a young woman. His pain was always mingled with his intense anger and hatred. I had to force myself to finish reading (can't remember the title).
I could feel his hurt and it was awful. But what was more awful, to me, was that no possibility of healing seemed to exist in his armor-encased microcosm.

What I've read of him wasn't that way at all and he had a brilliant gift of expressive language. I don't know if you read an earlier or later work, that may have made a difference.

Buzzword

“The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils.”
-William Shakespeare

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
“Thou hast formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in Thee.” ~ St. Augustine

From an old funeral service book...

My beloved has gone to his garden, and to gather lilies.
Song of Solomon chapter 6 verse 2

"Remember it is His garden and they are His lilies."​

bybee

"I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinions of himself than on the opinions of others."

Marcus Aurelius​

If only more people would read Marcus Aurelius. If only I would take him more to heart!

lifeisgood

"Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die: Remove far from me vanity and lies:

Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? Or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain” (Proverbs 30:7–9)