Favorite Quotations

Fiat Tenebris

When the axe came into the forest, the trees said, "At least the handle is one of us!" - Turkish proverb.

Spoiler

5024600254_2d37281a64_b.jpg

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The world has never yet seen a truly great and virtuous nation because in the degradation of woman the very fountains of life are poisoned at their source. - Lucretia Mott

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's not hatred, it's just the truth, and it's assured by the Devil to not prevail because he has you and many others like you obsessed and nailed to your feminism. The truth is hatred to you.

“A great man is always willing to be little.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Selaphiel

It's not that simple.
Rome resembled a complete emancipation alongside it's patriarchy. Prostitution, homosexuality, and the introduction of civil romance were met with men and women who hardly even had to work for a living.
It was a golden age for everyone, and with it came a neglect of the strict patriarchy you claim was there. It was more in philosophy and law then anything else.

You speak as though the aristocracy was the majority of the population. Obviously they were not. Most people in Rome worked, probably worked harder than you ever have or will for less

Not to mention that the Greco-Roman conception of homosexuality was wildly different from a modern one. Their disdain of it seems to have been partial. It was not the sexual act itself that concerned them, it was a man becoming the passive part and thus degrading himself to play the part of a woman.
You cannot really understand the sexual ethics of antiquity unless you understand their biology. Galen for example thought sexual activity was unhealthy because it depleted the man of his virility, he literally though the sperm of the man contained his vital spirit (pneuma zotiko)

The lower class worked, the middle class worked less, and the high class worked nil.

Middle class in antiquity? :chuckle:

Most historians operate with two main economical classes in that age and culture. Those who had and those who had nothing.
In other societies, regardless of class, one works.

Not Rome.

They had free running water and conquered lands to exploit.

A wealth largely controlled by the nobility, not by the majority of the population. There were soldiers, blacksmiths, butchers, peasants, bakers, builders and what not.

What's feeble is the pathetic obsession men have in leaving women blameless and untouched.

Blameless and untouched? Who is suggesting that? What I oppose is that you blame them on the basis of them being women alone and you blaming women for your own inadequacies, that is feeble.

According to you, I suppose, real men didn't exist until Modern Liberalism™. Everyone before then thought as I thought.
That's ultimately the conclusion to your standing.

Difference is that you should know better. The view on women in antiquity was informed by a biology and anthropology that does not hold water today.
Most of history thought slavery was justified as well. Do you support enslavement of people today?

Selaphiel

The grip of feminism:

It will make a Protestant Christian deny an Anti-Christ Papacy and hold to preterism.

They modify their standing to accommodate women.
Just like Adam. Is it really worth the fruit? :chuckle:

Try view that is informed by academic critical studies of the text instead. The view of the papacy as the anti-christ is just as horribly misinformed of the text as your interpretation.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The real man is one who always finds excuses for others, but never excuses himself. - Henry Ward Beecher

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Looky looky, all of Rusha's quotes about men and women the oppressed sex.

That's feminism for you, some woman sitting in a nice house on the internet talking about how men could do her more justice :chuckle:

And what say the men..
~disagree and you're anti-female~

What a load of wank.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
“In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
"A very popular error, having the courage of one's convictions. Rather, it is the courage to attack one's own convictions."
--Nietzsche

"It would be so easy if we could keep the good people over here and have all the evil people over there. Then all we would need to do would be to kill all the evil people and things will be forever peaceful. But the line between good and evil runs down the center of every human heart. And who is willing to destroy a part of one's own heart?"
--Alexander Solzhyenitsyn

"The Father makes his sun to shine on both the good AND the evil, and sendeth his rain on BOTH the just and the unjust."
--Jesus of Nazareth

Fiat Tenebris

I thought I'd sneak in what Marx actually said, perhaps it'll cut down on misquotation of him a little.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people."

He goes on to say something very important:

"...criticism had plucked the flowers from the chain not so that men could wear the chain without consolation, but so that they could break the chain and cull the living flower.”

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I thought I'd sneak in what Marx actually said, perhaps it'll cut down on misquotation of him a little.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people."

He goes on to say something very important:

"...criticism had plucked the flowers from the chain not so that men could wear the chain without consolation, but so that they could break the chain and cull the living flower.”
Marx had a problem neatly summed by the tale of a blind man who, grasping the tail of an elephant was certain that he held a snake. Or, he had a nearly inescapably myopic context that only seemed universal because of the time he lived in and the limitations that imposed upon an otherwise agile mind.

But this is a quote thread so here's one I meant and will likely post in the feminism thread shortly:

"Feminism is hated because women are hated. Anti-feminism is a direct expression of misogyny; it is the political defense of women hating." Andrea Dworkin

Brother Vinny

Marx had a problem neatly summed by the tale of a blind man who, grasping the tail of an elephant was certain that he held a snake. Or, he had a nearly inescapably myopic context that only seemed universal because of the time he lived in and the limitations that imposed upon an otherwise agile mind.

groucho-marx_1947633c.jpg

I liked the one about how he shot an elephant in his pajamas better.