Fast Personality Test

theophilus

I enjoy [MENTION=7640]Town Heretic[/MENTION] 's humor.

It's covert, biting and nuanced.

And I also enjoy good sarcasm.

:)

You should enjoy it instead of bucking it.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I enjoy [MENTION=7640]Town Heretic[/MENTION] 's humor.

I find it tiresome and predictable

in many ways he reminds me of the very bright seventh and eighth grade boys I used to teach, some of whom never seemed able to keep their mouths shut, who always had to have the last word, who were constantly seeking the approval of others, the applause of the crowd, the attention for which they were desperate

the class clowns

often what they came up with was amusing, sometimes insightful

most of the time it was just tiresome and they failed to recognize that most of the class just wished they'd shut up

the difference between them and town is that town pretends to be an adult, and adults usually are able to control themselves

case in point - town describes his inability to control his annoying behavior:
On repartee, it isn't something that distracts me...I don't work at it, it's just a knack....

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I find it tiresome and predictable
So was a Tyson fight for a long stretch, so I take your inference. Okay, you take mine then.

in many ways he reminds me of the very bright seventh and eighth grade boys I used to teach,
Oh boy, are you dusting that one off again? And you mean substitute for. I don't believe you've ever been certified to teach. Nothing wrong with sub work, the schools need it and so do teachers, but the airs/authority you're trying to assume with that posture warrants the distinction.

some of whom never seemed able to keep their mouths shut, who always had to have the last word, who were constantly seeking the approval of others, the applause of the crowd, the attention for which they were desperate
The last word thing would be stronger if you didn't always seem to try for it.

the class clowns
That was Jackie B in our class. He couldn't seem to understand when the envelope had been pushed as far as Mrs. Hudson (a great teacher with a solid sense of humor who'd let us have a little rope so long as we didn't try to hang ourselves) was interested. Never was a problem for me. I think I saw the office twice from elementary to senior year.

often what they came up with was amusing, sometimes insightful
He says that, but it's really just to present a front that will give what he wants to say more umph. Here goes the "what he wants to say" part.

most of the time it was just tiresome and they failed to recognize that most of the class just wished they'd shut up
That's the way he wishes it was...but as with the views per post in Quixote's (even excluding his own) it's not really how it went.

the difference between them and town is that town pretends to be an adult, and adults usually are able to control themselves
If I couldn't manage that I'd have been banned any number of times...like you. Or you'd find me hanging around you waiting on a chance to dig in, the way you do me. That sort of thing.

case in point - town describes his inability to control his annoying behavior:
So the lady says to the doctor, "When I do this my arm hurts." And the doctor says, "Stop doing that."

Or, if you don't find a thing profitable, don't invest in it. :thumb:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't believe you have any idea whether or not I've ever been certified to teach :idunno:
Sure I do. You've spoken of substituting for some time and while you were speaking along that line you frequently began to call it teaching. And I'd agree that it can be if you're running someone else's lesson plan, but it's a bit different than the mantel someone new to the joint might have assumed, reasonably, given the lack of qualification in your statement. I set out why I think you did that. There's no chance you'd have failed to mention it prior.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Sure I do. You've spoken of substituting for some time

yep - subbing was what I did for the last three years I was teaching, waiting for my son to finish high school - I had determined at that point to go in a different direction, academically, geographically and careerwise, so I didn't seek a full time placement

I've made no secret of this

town said:
and while you were speaking along that line you frequently began to call it teaching.

interestingly enough, so did my coworkers (the other teachers) and my boss (the principals) :chuckle:

town said:
I set out why I think you did that.

right, you made a foolish assumption based on incomplete information

iow, you spoke before thinking

which is what you do :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I enjoy @Town Heretic 's humor.

Why thank you, theo. I appreciate it.

:cheers:

Okay, that was an interesting stretch of off topic. Let's get back to it then.

Here's a link to an article in the Business Insider questioning the validity of the Myers-Briggs test.

The test is used by the overwhelming majority of Fortune 100 companies, but the author notes the fashioners of the study were a mother-daughter team who studied Jung a hundred years ago and who weren't actually social scientists themselves.

Wharton organizational psychologist Adam Grant takes issue with the pigeon-holing and "Philosopher Roman Krznaric notes that if "you retake the test after only a five-week gap, there's around a 50% chance that you will fall into a different personality category compared to the first time you took the test." This is bad news for the test's reputation, given that replicability is an essential part of scientific inquiry."

So it seems as though more than a few voices in the academic community are beginning to wonder aloud if this isn't something on the order of a better looking astrology chart.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And here's a link to an article in Psychology Today that takes a fairly aggressive stance written by the previously noted Adam Grant. In the article, "Goodbye to MBTI, the Fad That Won't Die".

From the article:

"My name is Adam Grant, and I am an INTJ. That’s what I learned from a wildly popular​
personality test...when I took the test a few months later, I was an ESFP... I began to read through the evidence, and I found that the MBTI is about as useful as a polygraph for detecting lies. One researcher even called it an “act of irresponsible armchair philosophy.” When it comes to accuracy, if you put a horoscope on one end and a heart monitor on the other, the MBTI falls about halfway in between."

So, is anyone defending the test?

Well, yes. Rich Thompson, PhD, director of Research for the CPP, takes umbrage at the notion that he's pushing quack science (link).

"The validity and reliability of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) instrument has been documented in thousands of peer-reviewed journals and case studies, and its publisher, CPP, Inc., freely makes its supporting data publicly available. I should know — I head the research department and team of psychologists that’s tasked with keeping the MBTI instrument up to date. In fact, its efficacy is so well-established that I find myself scratching my head when I come across the kind of criticism recently levied by Adam Grant.​

Grant, who says that he took the MBTI instrument twice and got contradictory results, declares, “I’m not schizophrenic.” This is good news, but to his larger point that the MBTI assessment lacks test-retest reliability, I would counter that in actuality the test-retest correlations for the most recent version of the Myers-Briggs tool are in the range of .57 to .81, which is considered quite good for psychometric assessments."

TBC...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
in a similar vein, tobacco company representatives continue to insist that their product is harmless
Doesn't appear similar if they can demonstrate his claims about testing. Both of these were from around three years ago. I'm going to do a little digging to see if there's a broader study on point.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I see you're still not up to speed on the whole "CPP is the publisher" bit
I noted that he was head of research for the CPP and I included the CPP as publisher fact in a portion of what I reposted.

Being the owner of a company doesn't invalidate your assertions if they're backed by objective research.

Now back to studies on point.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So here's a fairly strong article on the topic. And it's mostly negative. The singular exception?

The National Academy of Sciences committee reviewed data from over 20 MBTI research studies and concluded that only the Intraversion-Extroversion scale has adequate construct validity. That is high correlations with comparable scales of other tests and low correlations with tests designed to assess different concepts. In contrast, the S-N and T-F scales show relatively weak validity. No mention was made in this review about the J-P scale.​

Doesn't seem like much of a plus given this would seem the easiest category to assess without it.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
in a similar vein, tobacco company representatives continue to insist that their product is harmless

"The river rolled
the cricket sang
the lightning bug,
he flashed his wing,
and I can wrap my arms, I fling
'round rose of Alabama.

Oh brown rosey
the rose of Alabama
that sweet tobacco posey
is the rose of Alabama."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Speaking of testing, here's one that's less controversial. It measures the "Big Five": extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, and openness to experience.

Here's the article that speaks to it. The short test is 120 questions with answers divided along a range from very inaccurate to very accurate.