Even Most Liberals Believe America Is in Moral Decline

bybee

I think the only thing that has changed is the willingness of people to be open and less sensitive about what they do in private.

Basically, there's less hypocrisy around now, unless you're a politician or making a living peddling faith.

I'm waiting for the Charmin ad showing a transgender person dramatically wiping it's private parts in public!

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Moral standards rise and fall over time. I believe they were quite high during the middle of the 20th century and a lot of social good resulted from it. But they have been on the wane since then, and a lot of suffering has resulted. And it will only get worse until it finally hurts enough of us that we'll be forced to do something about it.

When, and what we'll do, however, is anyone's guess.
The dynamics of the family are key. I see way too much discounting, unfair treatment, no listening or encouragement to children today from their parents.

And don't get me started about the indiscriminate corporal punishment!

PureX

The dynamics of the family are key. I see way too much discounting, unfair treatment, no listening or encouragement to children today from their parents.

And don't get me started about the indiscriminate corporal punishment!
But how did the parents get that way?

I think it's because we now have several generations of Americans who have grown up awash in a sea of commercial propaganda that promotes selfishness, impulsiveness, and endless desire for the sake of profit. Real values are valueless in a materialist, consumer culture, because they can't be produced and sold for a profit. Hence, in our culture, they are left by the wayside. As anachronisms of the past.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
But how did the parents get that way?

I think it's because we now have several generations of Americans who have grown up awash in a sea of commercial propaganda that promotes selfishness, impulsiveness, and endless desire for the sake of profit. Real values are valueless in a materialist, consumer culture, because they can't be produced and sold for a profit. Hence, in our culture, they are left by the wayside. As anachronisms of the past.
Family sexual, verbal and corporal punishment abuse has been a feature of the human family for centuries. Why do you suppose Jesus made such savage attacks on family values and did it very, very often.

"Call no one on earth your father."