Even Most Liberals Believe America Is in Moral Decline

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Even Most Liberals Believe America Is in Moral Decline

Most Americans, even most liberals, believe the state of moral values in the United States is getting worse, according to a Gallup poll.

When asked, "right now, do you think the state of moral values in the country as a whole is getting better or getting worse?" Seventy-two percent of Americans said "getting worse" and 22 percent said "getting better," according to the poll results released Tuesday.

While social conservatives are consistently more pessimistic and social liberals are consistently more optimistic about the state of moral values, a majority of social liberals, 58 percent, answered that moral values are getting worse. Eighty-one percent of social conservatives and 76 percent of social moderates agreed.

The proportion of pessimistic social conservatives has not fluctuated as much as the proportion of pessimistic social liberals.

The percentage of social conservatives who believe moral values are getting worse was at its lowest in 2003 (70 percent) and 2002 (73 percent), the first year data is available. These were the second and third years of the George W. Bush presidency. That percentage was at it highest during the last two years of the Bush presidency, 2007 and 2008, when it was 91 percent.

The percentage of social liberals who believe moral values are getting worse was highest during the Bush presidency, when it ranged from 60 to 73 percent.

The first year of Barack Obama's presidency was the only time since 2002 that a majority of social liberals believed moral values were getting better.

Only 44 percent of social liberals believed America was in moral decline in Obama's first year, 2009. Pessimistic social liberals then soared 17 percentage points, to 61 percent, in 2010, and has remained between 54 and 58 percent since then.

gallup-morals-getting-worse.png

Based upon other research Gallup has done, Gallup's Justin McCarthy believes that most respondents are not thinking in terms of gay marriage or other political issues when they answer the question, but in terms of how we treat each other.

"That is, their views have less to do with greater acceptance of same-sex marriage or having babies out of wedlock and other hot-button issues, and more to do with matters of basic civility and respect for each other," he wrote.

The most recent poll on the question was conducted on May 6-10 and has a sample of 1,024 adults living in the United States. The margin of error is plus or minus four percentage points.

Id be willing to bet though that the definitions of "moral values" vary widely.

What say you all?

quip

BANNED
Banned
I agree.

You did notice that this is from a Christian source and thus all implications are filtered as such.

Is the Christian stance against same-sex marriage typically seen as immoral to the average liberal?

Context is key.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I agree.

You did notice that this is from a Christian source and thus all implications are filtered as such.

Is the Christian stance against same-sex marriage typically seen as immoral to the average liberal?

Context is key.

Hello out there, the graph is from gallup and so are the results. They gave no opinion. What implication would you be talking about, what I* said?

GFR7

I believe the results in that both liberals and conservatives believe America is in moral decline. But as you noted, the definition of "moral decline" is divergent from the liberal and conservative perspective. Conservatives may be thinking of same sex marriage, free-loaders, sexual anarchy, while liberals may be thinking of wars in far flung places, the environment, police brutality, etc.

Granite

Hall of Fame
People have been bemoaning the loss of the good old days since we could talk. Nothing new there, per se.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Then you don't think morals are declining in America?

Well in order to have this conversation we'd have to agree on

a) morals

and

b) decline

I'm serious. Your definition of morals and morality differs from mine (understatement alert) so we'd obviously see differences in what constitutes a "decline," too.

Generally--very generally--I'd say we've become a crueler, more callous, inured, and indifferent country what with rendition, black sites, torture, illegal war, the surveillance state, drone strikes, and the rest of the rah-rah militaristic jingoism that dominates the airwaves. I'd say we've made some good initial headway on some social issues where equality is starting to come into its own. Overall, I look for reasons to be optimistic. Some days I spot a couple. Often, I don't.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well in order to have this conversation we'd have to agree on

a) morals

and

b) decline

I'm serious. Your definition of morals and morality differs from mine (understatement alert) so we'd obviously see differences in what constitutes a "decline," too.

Generally--very generally--I'd say we've become a crueler, more callous, inured, and indifferent country what with rendition, black sites, torture, illegal war, the surveillance state, drone strikes, and the rest of the rah-rah militaristic jingoism that dominates the airwaves. I'd say we've made some good initial headway on some social issues where equality is starting to come into its own. Overall, I look for reasons to be optimistic. Some days I spot a couple. Often, I don't.

Then yes, you believe we are morally declining, thanks.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I notice the number of people of all political persuasions, thinking that morals have gotten worse, has declined significantly since 2008.

A4T seems to have forgotten the truth. I'll do a regression line a little later and see exactly how much.

Quetzal

There is a lot to talk about here.

First, definition of morality. What you and I might define are moral are very different. The armed protest against the mosque recently is something I see as immoral. The vile attacks on homosexual and transgender individuals is another act that I see as immoral. Conservative acts like this, unfortunately, sell air time in the media. Therefore, for someone like me who is seeing these things plastered all over the news, all the time, I will agree that we are in an moral decline. At the same time, conservatives who rally at these sorts of events see it as a moral victory. You see?

This goes for any political topic, right? In fact, I believe ones perception of Americans "morality" is directly linked to the politics that are more successful. If conservative politics are on the rise, I would venture to guess many liberals would vote morality is dropping. And vice versa. Just a theory.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Then yes, you believe we are morally declining, thanks.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Please. If you're interested in a person's opinion actually pay attention it. Looking to validate your own isn't the same thing.

This isn't a yes or no question. A lot of them aren't.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Please. If you're interested in a person's opinion actually pay attention it. Looking to validate your own isn't the same thing.

This isn't a yes or no question. A lot of them aren't.

What you stated and i bolded in your quote is a decline in morals that you've noticed.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
People have been bemoaning the loss of the good old days since we could talk. Nothing new there, per se.

Yep

(Ecclesiastes 7:10) Don't long for "the good old days." This is not wise.

As a Christian, I hate it when other Christians go on and on about how bad it is today, and how much better "the good old days" were. Apparently these Christians have never read Eccl 7:10

I'm 51, and have heard about "the good old days" all my life.

I remember watching All in the Family when I was a kid. The theme song was written in 1970. In the theme song, Archie and Edith longed for the good old days.

Remember the song "Those were the days my friend"? It was recorded in 1925.

Right now there's an 80's thread on TOL. In it, people are talking about how they miss the 80's, about how simpler things were back then.

(Matt 6:34) Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

shagster01

I don't think there is a moral decline, just changing immoral actions. The immoral thoughts, actions, and wishes have always been there in some form. Slavery/segregation, for example.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yep

(Ecclesiastes 7:10) Don't long for "the good old days." This is not wise.

As a Christian, I hate it when other Christians go on and on about how bad it is today, and how much better "the good old days" were. Apparently these Christians have never read Eccl 7:10

I'm 51, and have heard about "the good old days" all my life.

I remember watching All in the Family when I was a kid. The theme song was written in 1970. In the theme song, Archie and Edith longed for the good old days.

Remember the song "Those were the days my friend"? It was recorded in 1925.

Right now there's an 80's thread on TOL. In it, people are talking about how they miss the 80's, about how simpler things were back then.

(Matt 6:34) Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

This is probably the first time we've ever been in total agreement.

:devil:

:cheers: