Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Shimei said:
Well, what did Paul do?
I'm a non-believer, remember?

Why don't you tell us? :)

(Though I'd prefer to hear it from Jefferson. No offense intended... )

Freak

Shimei said:
But following the writings of an ex-Christian killer is ok, correct?
Re-read what I posted. I stated, "I will not submit my family to any pastor that has been divorced (unless there was a Biblical allowance). A pastor that is divorced is no longer above reproach.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
Re-read what I posted. I stated, "I will not submit my family to any pastor that has been divorced (unless there was a Biblical allowance). A pastor that is divorced is no longer above reproach.

Ok, so what if you’re pastor was a repentant and forgiven ex-Christian killer? Would you submit you’re family to him?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Zakath said:
Are you implying that, so long as someone actually repents of fill in the behavior in question, there is no disqualification for ministry in the Church?

:think:
Yes, as long as the police are not currently chasing him and he is not running from the law.

Freak

Shimei said:
Would you submit you’re family to him?
This is over your head. But I'll attempt once again.

Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap.

Someone who has been divorced due to adultery has been disqualified to be a pastor, an overseer (unless there was a Biblical allowance). They can still serve the Lord in other capacities but not as a pastor because their "reputation" is no longer above "reproach."

Having been divorced is not "managing his own family well." Get it?

Look, some believers disagree. This is a non-essential, though, critical issue.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Shimei said:
Would you submit you’re family to [a pastor who was a repentant and forgiven ex-Christian killer]?
Freak said:
Someone who has been divorced due to adultery has been disqualified to be a pastor, an overseer (unless there was a Biblical allowance). They can still serve the Lord in other capacities but not as a pastor because their "reputation" is no longer above "reproach."

Having been divorced is not "managing his own family well." Get it?
Shimei didn't ask if you would submit your family to "someone who had been divorced due to adultery." He asked if you would submit your family to somone was a repentant and forgiven ex-Christian killer.

How about answering the question that Shimei actually asked?

Freak

He asked if you would submit your family to somone was a repentant and forgiven ex-Christian killer.

How about answering the question that Shimei actually asked?
We are not talking about submitting to a pastor that has murdered, now are we? We are talking about submitting to a pastor who has been divorced.

fool

Hall of Fame
Freak said:
We are not talking about submitting to a pastor that has murdered, now are we? We are talking about submitting to a pastor who has been divorced.
you guys submitt to your pastors?
in what way?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:

Do you read and believe in the writings of Paul?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Freak said:
Respond to post # 63 please.

Status
Not open for further replies.