Enyart's Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shimei said:
You don't agree with what the verse says?

True, divorce can totally screw up a kids life. God hates divorce, but in certain cases, it happens. Just because a man is divorced, it doesn't mean that he can never become a pastor.

BTW, Bob Enyart did not rush into becoming a pastor after his last divorce.

First of all, I wasn't really thinking when I replied, I forgot that verse you referenced was talking about church officials. :hammer:

And I didn't agree with your interpretation, I think people should only be married to one person period, not just one person at a time. I know there's the exception for infidelity, but that's for the innocent party. Of course I could be wrong, I"ll have to study this some more :think:

Also, what I had to say wasn't really in regards to enyart, I don't know him personally and it's hard to find neuteral information on him so I try to give him the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like he's genuinely come to terms with whatever has happened in his past so who am I to judge him.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
taoist said:
But Bob's insistence that this "one man, one woman" thing has been working just great for 6,000 years or whatever is just annoying to anyone who's actually read the bible.
:strawman: (We need a strawman smiley)

SOTK

My Denomination won't allow men to be Pastors nor hold any type of position like that if you have been married before. They get this from Timothy.

Qualifications of Church Officers
1 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop,[a] he desires a good work. 2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; 4one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence 5(for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); 6not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. 7Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Qualifications of Deacons
8Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money, 9holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience. 10But let these also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons, being found blameless. 11Likewise, their wives must be reverent, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things. 12Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. 13For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a good standing and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

How does Bob feel about this? Does he not think this applies to him some how? I've always been curious about this; not just because of Bob, but I have heard of other denominations allowing this as well.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
taoist said:
Guilty, as charged ... this time, anyway. But Bob's insistence that this "one man, one woman" thing has been working just great for 6,000 years or whatever is just annoying to anyone who's actually read the bible.

Oh yeah, and lighten up, dudes.
When you say stuff like this you convict yourself of the crime of stupidity!

taoist, seriously . . . you really don't know what your talking about and frankly its embarrassing.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
beefalobilly said:
First of all, I wasn't really thinking when I replied, I forgot that verse you referenced was talking about church officials. :hammer:

And I didn't agree with your interpretation, I think people should only be married to one person period, not just one person at a time. I know there's the exception for infidelity, but that's for the innocent party. Of course I could be wrong, I"ll have to study this some more :think:

Also, what I had to say wasn't really in regards to enyart, I don't know him personally and it's hard to find neuteral information on him so I try to give him the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like he's genuinely come to terms with whatever has happened in his past so who am I to judge him.

See post #34. :)

SOTK

louhardt said:
Like I am going to spend $25 to get the answer to this one!

I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping for a link which posted Scripture to back up his claims. Can anybody else tackle this free of charge? I would like a logical and Biblical answer to this situation.

SOTK

Shimei said:
"Husband of one wife" means just that, not married to more than one woman at a time.

It may mean that if the husband's first wife committed the act of adultery. However, if there were reasons for the divorece besides adultery and this husband gets remarried, he is committing adultery by being married to another woman even if he legally divorced his former wife. In this case and in God's eyes, the man is actually married to more than one wife.

Also, if a man gets married to a woman, who has been married before and got a divorce which was not due to adultery, both the man and woman are guilty of adultery. In this case, the man's wife has two husbands.

Lovejoy

SOTK said:
It may mean that if the husband's first wife committed the act of adultery. However, if there were reasons for the divorece besides adultery and this husband gets remarried, he is committing adultery by being married to another woman even if he legally divorced his former wife. In this case and in God's eyes, the man is actually married to more than one wife.

Also, if a man gets married to a woman, who has been married before and got a divorce which was not due to adultery, both the man and woman are guilty of adultery. In this case, the man's wife has two husbands.
I have the hardest time with those verses too. Many of the pastors I talk to just say that Christ can redeem even a divorce, but I am not sure how that fits with Christ's words. My denomination takes divorced people through a pretty intense period of prayer and counseling before they will consider performing a second marriage. But they will still do it.

SOTK

Lovejoy said:
I have the hardest time with those verses too. Many of the pastors I talk to just say that Christ can redeem even a divorce, but I am not sure how that fits with Christ's words. My denomination takes divorced people through a pretty intense period of prayer and counseling before they will consider performing a second marriage. But they will still do it.

I agree that Christ can redeem even a divorce. In other words, I think people guilty of divorce and/or adultery can be forgiven. What I am trying to point out though is I don't know how one can get around the scripture in Timothy which clearly establishes the criteria for Church Leadership.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is my understanding that Bob went through a fairly intense period of discernment when deciding whether to answer the call to pastor Denver Bible Church. Those who are not satisfied that this was the case probably shouldn't join Denver Bible Church.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
SOTK said:
I agree that Christ can redeem even a divorce. In other words, I think people guilty of divorce and/or adultery can be forgiven. What I am trying to point out though is I don't know how one can get around the scripture in Timothy which clearly establishes the criteria for Church Leadership.
I guess it's a good thing for me that I know that my wifes Ex husband was a rutting pig and remains one to this day.

Freak

SOTK said:
My Denomination won't allow men to be Pastors nor hold any type of position like that if you have been married before. They get this from Timothy.
:up: I will not submit my family to any pastor that has been divorced (unless there was a Biblical allowance). A pastor that is divorced is no longer above reproach.

SOTK

deardelmar said:
It is my understanding that Bob went through a fairly intense period of discernment when deciding whether to answer the call to pastor Denver Bible Church. Those who are not satisfied that this was the case probably shouldn't join Denver Bible Church.

I'm sure he did, and I don't mean to question that. I would just like to understand how he reconciles the Scripture in Timothy and the Scriptures which teach about divorce and adultery.

My current wife and I have both been married before. Both our former spouses committed adultery. This is a subject I looked into for some time. I've been told that eventhough my divorce is forgiven (I've been given a pass so to speak) because of the adultery, I still can't be in a position of Church Leadership because of the past marriage. It's important to me to be Biblical so I am just merely trying to get a clear understanding of this issue. :)

intro2faith

"Enyart advocates the death penalty for offenses such as homosexuality, murder, attempted murder, abortion, and feminism. Homosexuality was frequently singled out for criticism by Enyart, who sold T-shirts imprinted with the slogan "Homos Make Me Sick", and once played the Queen song "Another One Bites The Dust" as the names of AIDS victims scrolled by on the screen."

If that is true....he has some very messed up views on what Christianity is. God looks upon murder on the same level as LYING. So is he an advocate for the death penalty for LIARS too? As for the slogan "Homos make me sick"...I don't even know where to begin :nono:

Jadant

louhardt said:
Yes, I would say a short one! I don't se any mention of one wife much less 3; or the mention of one child abuse arrest, much less two. (I know! it was discipline. But since people know about it the bio would be the best place to dispute it.)

Here is an article that goes into a little more detail on Enyart's life. It's an old article, but it should still be helpful.

http://www.westword.com/issues/1999-12-16/feature_1.html

Edit: I got a lot of 404 errors when trying to get to the additional pages of this article, but if you keep trying you should be able to get them all.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
intro2faith said:
"Enyart advocates the death penalty for offenses such as homosexuality, murder, attempted murder, abortion, and feminism. Homosexuality was frequently singled out for criticism by Enyart, who sold T-shirts imprinted with the slogan "Homos Make Me Sick", and once played the Queen song "Another One Bites The Dust" as the names of AIDS victims scrolled by on the screen."

If that is true....he has some very messed up views on what Christianity is. God looks upon murder on the same level as LYING. So is he an advocate for the death penalty for LIARS too? As for the slogan "Homos make me sick"...I don't even know where to begin :nono:

Firstly, where did that quote come from? Secondly... the death penalty for feminism? That's a new one on me. Whoever made the quote forgot kidnapping, too.

Intro, about lying... were you aware God rewarded some folks for lying? Anyway, sometimes the penalty for perjury could be death, depending on what is being lied about.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
intro2faith said:

Hmmm.... what to do with partial truths? :think:

Don't you describe yourself as a "right winger"?

I am guessing you meant to click . . . "left winger"?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
intro2faith said:

Parts of the above paragraph are quite true and parts of it are bold face lies meant to make Bob sound bad. You don't know where to begin start by finding out which things are true.
Having said that do you know the Biblical punishment for perjury?

Status
Not open for further replies.