Enyart's Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

taoist

Knight said:
taoist, seriously . . . you really don't know what your talking about ...
You're so cute when you get flustered, Knight. So, are you saying Bob doesn't say the one-man, one-woman definition of marriage has worked well for humans since biblical times? Or are you claiming the biblical patriarchs didn't take multiple wives? To each and/or both I say fooey!

The old testament, and the qur'an for that matter, describe social arrangements for tribal cultures, cultures where the survival of the tribe was closely linked to the number of men they could put out on the line. Polygamy for the survivors of war was common in all such cultures, including the Hebrews, to strengthen the tribe, and, if you consider the qur'anic injunctions, to succor women who had lost husbands. That sort of thing happens in wartime. So long as we seem to give birth to just about as many men as women it always will be the case that the surviving warriors come back fewer than they set out.

Now, back to Bob's multiple marriages and the one man, one woman rule. So, have you ever noticed how Bob's pontifications always start out with the disclaimer, "I'm not a [pick your discipline]" just before he starts his lecture on that discipline? As if a frank admission of ignorance excuses expanding ignorance among his listeners. Sheesh. I don't know anything about the circumstances of his past divorces, and unlike Bob, I won't use that as a gambit to speculate wildly, though I admit I did take a cheap shot at it in a past post in a separate TOL thread. (And took guilty pleasure in it, too, for that matter.)

Well, when it comes to divorce and remarriage, at least he's speaking about something with which he's personally familiar, rather than being satisfied with millenia-old prescriptions for tribal harmony. One man married to one woman until death do them part is an ideal, (and one accomplished by both pairs of my grandparents, lasting over 60 years on the maternal side.) It works well when it works. But sometimes it doesn't work.

Some couples just should never have married. Others include an abusive spouse or a host of other issues not resolvable inside the bonds of matrimony. And, in fairly rare cases according to Kinsey et al., sometimes they include a spouse with the wrong sexual orientation. When these marriages, which should never have occured, break up, you get a population that has become accustomed to the privileges and responsibilities of marriage, and together with others who never took this path, make up a population that wishes to marry members of their own sex.

It is opposition to this, of course, that has driven the one man, one woman crusade. In the process of this crusade, facts have been trampled underfoot willy-nilly. In particular, the idea that one man, one woman marriage has been the path ordained by god himself for his chosen people, despite the fact you'd have to subtract entire tribes from the original twelve if you were to take it seriously, as they were the product of a polygamy!

We Americans are not a tribe. We draw our religious beliefs, and lack thereof, from multiple sources, many of which have historical animosities. But the genius of the first amendment was to free our people from an imposed religion in order to work out a way to get along. And, stumbling at times, we have. Even you and me, Knight. Take hope.

In peace, Jesse

louhardt

SOTK said:
I'm sure he did, and I don't mean to question that. I would just like to understand how he reconciles the Scripture in Timothy and the Scriptures which teach about divorce and adultery.

My current wife and I have both been married before. Both our former spouses committed adultery. This is a subject I looked into for some time. I've been told that eventhough my divorce is forgiven (I've been given a pass so to speak) because of the adultery, I still can't be in a position of Church Leadership because of the past marriage. It's important to me to be Biblical so I am just merely trying to get a clear understanding of this issue. :)

I SO admire and applaude this stand. I know you will be forever grieved about the divorce AND the ineligibility to stand in church leadership. I remind you of all the places where you CAN serve the Lord. There are those who say that the best person to teach about a subject is somone who has been through it. And so our teachers should be alcoholics? drug addicts? thieves? ex-cons? former pimps and prostitutes? No, my distinct opinion is that the best leader is the one can best discern and communicate the word of God and that would be Jesus Christ. And my distinct opinion is He didn't muddy the waters so we could not understand him.

As I have learned, there ARE actions, planned or accidental, for which consequences last a lifetime. Many times that consequence would be not being allowed to do the one thing you want most to do. Like hug a child that was killed in a car accident; even wear short sleeves but you have track marks from wrist to armpit. EVERY thought is to be brought into captivity to the obedience to Jesus Christ. And when Paul said it would be better to remain single, I believe he was meaning 'because a married person has someone in their life pushing for attention spot #1'.

And yes, that does allow for a man to marry, get what is referred to as a 'biblical divorce' and, by remaining single - in spirit and in truth! - he may then become a church leader.

But, hey, that is just my opinion.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
SOTK said:
I would just like to understand how he reconciles the Scripture in Timothy and the Scriptures which teach about divorce and adultery.
A quick summary of his view is that the phrase in Timothy "the husband of one wife" is literally translated as, "a one woman man." A man who is cheating on his wife violates that command but a man who used to cheat on his wife 2 decades ago but who has been faithful ever since does not violate that command.

It's similar to the command that a pastor should not be a drunkard. If a man used to be an alchololic 20 years ago does that mean he can never be a pastor even though he has been clean and sober for 20 years? Of course he can be a pastor. It's the same principle with a former womanizer.

louhardt

Pastoral training

Pastoral training

Where can I learn about what pastoral training Bob Enyart went through? Where he went to Bible College, who are his mentors?

Thanks!

fool

Hall of Fame
Turbo said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Enyart is full of misinformation, to put it mildly. But I'm guessing you knew that. Why else would you post a link to a "biography" that doesn't answer the question louhardt asked?
1. that's the only online pedia I know
2. If you know another please inform
3. it was suggested as a place to start looking
4. Justin has offered to fix that entry, have you worked with him, or anyone else to do so?
5. the article does talk about his education, says he is a computer scientist.
6. thanks for the bad rep
7. any other wikipedia links you want to bad rep me for?

fool

Hall of Fame
I see that Bob hisself was here today. Why dosen't he come in here and;
1. answer the question
2. set the record straight on his bio.
3. bad rep me himself if linking to wikipedia is considered an insult.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
fool said:
I see that Bob hisself was here today. Why dosen't he come in here and;
1. answer the question
2. set the record straight on his bio.
3. bad rep me himself if linking to wikipedia is considered an insult.

Or you could:

1. Quit worrying about Bob Enyart, who he is and what he does.
2. Call his show if you are so concerned.

Mr. 5020

Freak said:
:up: I will not submit my family to any pastor that has been divorced (unless there was a Biblical allowance). A pastor that is divorced is no longer above reproach.
Funny how nobody responded to Freak's post.

Oh...nevermind.

fool

Hall of Fame
Shimei said:
Or you could:

1. Quit worrying about Bob Enyart, who he is and what he does.
2. Call his show if you are so concerned.
Or you could:
1.quit worrying about fool and what he posts
2.call Bob's show if your so concerned about what fool posts
3. answer the question yourself if you think wikipedia is inaccurate.
4. dance like a bannana
:bannana:

Mr. 5020

fool said:
Or you could:
1.quit worrying about fool and what he posts
2.call Bob's show if your so concerned about what fool posts
3. answer the question yourself if you think wikipedia is inaccurate.
4. dance like a bannana
:bannana:
Do me a favor: the next time you have a thought, let it go.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
:up: I will not submit my family to any pastor that has been divorced (unless there was a Biblical allowance). A pastor that is divorced is no longer above reproach.

But following the writings of an ex-Christian killer is ok, correct?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Jefferson said:
I answered it in post # 63.
Are you implying that, so long as someone actually repents of fill in the behavior in question, there is no disqualification for ministry in the Church?

:think:

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath said:
Are you implying that, so long as someone actually repents of fill in the behavior in question, there is no disqualification for ministry in the Church?

:think:

Well, what did Paul do?

Status
Not open for further replies.