Empathy and Compassion for Mass Murderers, Rapists, Child Molesters

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You can disagree, but you aren't inline with God or the scriptures on the matter. God loved and saved us even as sinners, and he rejoices when anyone returns to him. Similarly, he is saddened when people are lost. If you feel nothing for the loss of God's children, your heart isn't in the right place.

yes, Ezekiel 33:11

contrast that to Matthew 25:41

TrumpTrainCA

BANNED
Banned
Should a Christian have empathy and compassion for murderers, rapists, child molesters?

I say no, that they deserve justice, that their victims deserve justice

discuss

from here

God knows the future. We do not.

We cannot know if, in the future, such a person truly repented in such a way that God Himself forgives them. This is dangerous territory. Yes, We can punish them for their crime, that is okay. But beware of anything further, for our finite minds trapped in this timeline do not know the future that God knows.

TrumpTrainCA

BANNED
Banned
......supposing Hitler had a last minute conversion before physical death and sincerely repented? Not awaiting eternal hell anymore, right?

That is right. Extremely unlikely though, but possible.

God alone knows if a repentance is real or not, and if Hitler really did repent in such a way that God forgave him, then Hitler is in heaven. And guess what, since the saints in heaven are perfected and cleansed of all bad natures, it will not bother them at all. hey will rejoice in the repentance.

Now, I am glad to bet real money that he did not.

csuguy

interesting and i'll come back to it later, but lemmee ask you this

do you have different degrees of empathy and compassion for Hitler and his victims?

I think it's definitely easier for us to emphasize and have deeper compassion for the innocent who suffered at the hands of hateful men than to emphasize and have compassion for the ones that inflicted said harm.

csuguy

yes, Ezekiel 33:11

contrast that to Matthew 25:41

Both good verses. If you are attempting to show a conflict, however, there is none to be found. God doesn't desire the destruction of anyone, but that doesn't mean he won't do it. He has given us freewill that we might choose for ourselves through our deeds. Those who persist in doing good are rewarded with life, those who persist in doing evil are rewarded with death.

Deuteronomy 30:11-20 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.

19 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Arthur Brain

God alone knows if a repentance is real or not, and if Hitler really did repent in such a way that God forgave him, then Hitler is in heaven. And guess what, since the saints in heaven are perfected and cleansed of all bad natures, it will not bother them at all. hey will rejoice in the repentance.

Right, in the meantime any of the victims of such despots who have been murdered and haven't repented are on their way to the same "hell" as the perpetrator. In context of that the OP is a joke.

ok doser

Listening to a Jordan Peterson/Joe Rogan youtube and Peterson is discussing a book I have heard about before and mean to read - has anybody read this?

616TFEO4r0L._SX342_.jpg

ok doser

"Helps us understand, better than we did before, not only what they did to make the Holocaust happen but also how they were transformed psychologically from the ordinary men of [the] title into active participants in the most monstrous crime in human history.""-- New York Times Book Review""A staggering and important book, a book that manages without polemic to communicate at least an intimation of the unthinkable."-- Michael Dorris, " Chicago Tribune""A remarkable--and singularly chilling--glimpse of human behavior...This meticulously researched book...represents a major contribution to the literature of the Holocaust." -- Andrew Nagorski, "Newsweek"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/006099506...ProductDesc=1#product-description_feature_div

way 2 go

Wow, the "Hitler" thing again. :doh:

So, Hitler, murdering despot dies unrepentant and goes to eternal hell under your belief, right?

Aunt Gladys, an agnostic who's biggest crime is an unpaid parking ticket also dies unrepentant and ends up in eternal hell as well, right?

On the other hand, supposing Hitler had a last minute conversion before physical death and sincerely repented? Not awaiting eternal hell anymore, right?

he who dies spiritually separated from God stays spiritually separated from God

Well... I don’t prefer the term or concept of original sin from the Augustinian perspective, because Uncle Augies was not very good at expressing what it actually is. It’s really to be understood in the sense of negation, as in “Lack of original righteousness”. Sin isn’t a “something”, it’s something missing. So sin is a something like a hole is a something. So most confuse “Original Sin” as a weird kind of “something”, and that it was this thing that was added to man like some intangible tumor on his nature.

What I’m saying is that the missingness and lack in the unredeemed is not something that ever be filled after physical death while in their spiritual death. Thanatos (death) as a lack of communion means all that is necessary to fill that void that is sin is not available to them. Christ is the only means of administering this, and that’s done by being hypostatically joined to Him in this physical life.

TrumpTrainCA

BANNED
Banned

Right, in the meantime any of the victims of such despots who have been murdered and haven't repented are on their way to the same "hell" as the perpetrator. In context of that the OP is a joke.

That is ridiculous. Your response assumes that people don't repent until they know the end is near in order to save their butts. If that is your plan, then you are already doomed. That is a sin in and of itself.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Should a Christian have empathy and compassion for murderers, rapists, child molesters?
Murderers, rapists, and child molesters are sinners.

Murder. They shall not inherit the kingdom of God. In 1 Corinthians 6 there is a list of sins some Christians used to do. Murder is not mentioned. Before the Law was given there was punishment by death for murder, because man is made in the image of God. With the Law of course we have the commandment against murder. Even a difference if someone kills someone else by accident. With Jesus do we have forgiveness of sins for even murder? What should our approach be toward murderers, whether we have met any or not?

Rapists. The Law has something to say against rape and rapists.

Child Molesters. Sexual sin is against God's Law. There is no specific commandment which makes this aberration difficult to deal with or classify how to deal with it. How can we break this down to what should happen, who should be convicted, if there is forgiveness of sins, etc...?
I say no, that they deserve justice, that their victims deserve justice
What we deserve is not always what we get. This may be good. However, I believe that it is bad. And I am thankful for forgiveness when I repent of sin, realizing what I have done.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Murderers, rapists, and child molesters are sinners.

True ... they are sinners and it will be up to God to judge them in the AFTER-life. However, in this life, our legal system’s first priority should be to protect society. My preference: the death penalty to anyone guilty of the above named crimes.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
True ... they are sinners and it will be up to God to judge them in the AFTER-life. However, in this life, our legal system’s first priority should be to protect society. My preference: the death penalty to anyone guilty of the above named crimes.

Do you believe that the death penalty in these crimes is what the Law of God requires?

Otherwise, good answer.

A murderer? Yes, if it was not an accident. If we are living according to the Law. Some say we are under grace and not under Law.

A rapist? I think it depends. I can't remember exactly how the law reads. The law of the land probably has specifics that condemn the rapist. If we are talking about God's Law, it may be that two people have sex and neither was engaged or married. They may get married with money to her father.

The child molester. This is a crime akin to murder because it involves decisions that are destructive and that are not sexual in nature, though the crime can be thought of as sexual in nature, a sex crime. Sexual immorality is not all that there is to it. Because there is a victim. It is not consensual sex that is immoral. So, should the crime be deserving of death? And, just as I have said it? Or, do I not understand its gravity?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you believe that the death penalty in these crimes is what the Law of God requires?

Otherwise, good answer.

A murderer? Yes, if it was not an accident. If we are living according to the Law. Some say we are under grace and not under Law.

A rapist? I think it depends. I can't remember exactly how the law reads. The law of the land probably has specifics that condemn the rapist. If we are talking about God's Law, it may be that two people have sex and neither was engaged or married. They may get married with money to her father.

The child molester. This is a crime akin to murder because it involves decisions that are destructive and that are not sexual in nature, though the crime can be thought of as sexual in nature, a sex crime. Sexual immorality is not all that there is to it. Because there is a victim. It is not consensual sex that is immoral. So, should the crime be deserving of death? And, just as I have said it? Or, do I not understand its gravity?

I believe that God would want us to care for children and our neighbors enough to protect them from rapists and murders. The only way to protect the innocent is to dispose of anyone (via the death penalty) who is convicted of rape, murder or child molestation.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I believe that God would want us to care for children and our neighbors enough to protect them from rapists and murders. The only way to protect the innocent is to dispose of anyone (via the death penalty) who is convicted of rape, murder or child molestation.

Okay. I am most familiar with what the Bible says about murder and rape. How do you believe in capital punishment? This is a view that many do not believe in. In my life I have been Torah Observant and at the same time said that it is not required for salvation. So I don't require that people observe the Law. But for those who don't they are guilty of breaking the Law. And is there a punishment for that? Any penalty?

See: Thread: Penalty. The existence of a penalty for breaking a law.

A child molester, like other sinners, is worthy of death. But not all sin is worthy of death! So it is confusing! Because child molesters are monsters.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Ezekiel 18:23 NASB - "Do I have any pleasure in the death of the wicked," declares the Lord GOD, "rather than that he should turn from his ways and live?

And,

in Israel,

there are sins or transgressions that when committed a person is worthy of death,

and actually the land would be rid of the evil if that were to occur.

Truster

The man who has hated his brother is a murderer. The man who has had fantasies is a rapist and possibly a molester. Whatever a man has thought of doing he is guilty of such. Only the restraint of mercy and fear of being caught has held back many a man from ruin.

"There but for grace, go I".

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The man who has hated his brother is a murderer. The man who has had fantasies is a rapist and possibly a molester. Whatever a man has thought of doing he is guilty of such. Only the restraint of mercy and fear of being caught has held back many a man from ruin.

"There but for grace, go I".

God judges even the thought, and by God's grace you can judge your thoughts.