Elon Musk’s Hostile Twitter Takeover

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
“Twitter works because it has limits, terms of service, rules. A ‘free speech’ board where anything goes will immediately be infested by spam, scams, racism, Nazis, trolls with nothing else to do, and hate speech,” conspiracy theory and QAnon expert Mike Rothschild tweeted.

Analysts warn that making Twitter a free speech free-for-all could harm its business. They say if there was no buffering of hateful, offensive or extremist posts, individual users would be less likely to use Twitter.

Advertisers and publishers, concerned about their messages being paired with problematic posts, also want content standards even if that means the platform has fewer users and is less popular, said GroupM analyst Brian Wieser.

“We think that free speech absolutism on Twitter and Musk’s preferences would likely lead to a worse business, and worse platform for advertising for large brands even if Musk were otherwise able to find ways to grow usage or users on the platform,” Wieser wrote in a blog post.

What is your definition of free speech?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
You know as well as I do that it doesn't stop there.

@The Barbarian was permabanned from this forum to censor him from saying anything political.
Just as TOL enables members to put people on "ignore" Twitter can install the same feature. That way no delicate liberal snowflake will ever have to read a single tweet that might make him cry.

Wouldn't that be wonderful UN?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Just as TOL enables members to put people on "ignore" Twitter can install the same feature. That way no delicate liberal snowflake will ever have to read a single tweet that might make him cry.

Oh sure. Why didn't the offended parties here just put @The Barbarian on ignore?

People here like double standards, but only when they work in their favor.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Oh Jefferson. 😂 You know darn well there are conservatives here who don’t want to put non-conservatives on ignore, they‘d rather get the non-conservatives banned. You can’t honestly deny this, if you ever use the moderating tools. And giving yourself an out by saying you wouldn’t ban them yourself means nothing when you stand by while they‘re banned.

TOL never pretended to be unbiased, but I’m pretty sure that having a homogenized forum was not something that Knight ever intended.

In light of that, I definitely got a chuckle out of the penalty box thread where a couple old guard conservatives threw a hissy fit over a ban that would be par for the course for so many of us non-conservatives, bans we’ve taken in stride and then just picked up where we left off when we came back - if we were allowed back. I guarantee you if I or someone with my similar political views had posted in a thread about how unfair it was that we had been banned, much hilarity and mocking would ensue by the very conservatives complaining about the OG’s ban. We non-conservatives are a lot tougher than certain conservatives here who simply are unaccustomed to being outside the privileged group. Which, by the way, explains so much about real-life conservative performative victimhood.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
An ignore feature would do nothing to protect the delicate conservative snowflakes who would neglect to use it, just as they do here.
Those who refuse to simply use the ignore feature on Twitter will have their complaints ignored by the moderators.

Their attempts to censor people they disagree with will fail. Wouldn't that be wonderful UN?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Those who refuse to simply use the ignore feature on Twitter will have their complaints ignored by the moderators.

Their attempts to censor people they disagree with will fail. Wouldn't that be wonderful UN?
I have never Twittered, but when I was lurking on the radical feminist group on Facebook a couple of years ago I would put people on block as soon as they identified themselves as being either obnoxious or retarded. By the time I was banned I think I had over a hundred people on block