Elderly care must be free.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

From your link (is it your blog?):

Here is the truth. Government should regulate big pharma to make sure they stop shanking the people and never make college free but make sure college makes tuition affordable. Government needs to stop spending money on spying on the American people and use all this money to making elderly care free. College kids do not deserve anything. They are not entitled to anything. But the elderly deserve and are entitled to die in comfort.

Yes, things need to change with regard to care of the aging, it's going to become a bigger and bigger issue as the baby boomers get older. Perhaps some who were 60s activists will return to (or continue) activism for a better system. A lot of people don't have family to care for them, or are (for many reasons) unable to care for them. Having helped care for my dad in his last years (as have others here on the forum), I know how difficult a task it can be. Our American culture, in general, isn't geared towards multi-generational family living. There are a lot a families who do, but that's now how the majority live. When the nearest help is miles or states away, it's a problem.

As an aside, I don't agree with the reference to college students not deserving anything. The young ones, they're our future. They're worth the investment. Arbitrary bias for elders over young people is reverse ageism.

jzeidler

From your link (is it your blog?)

Yes, things need to change with regard to care of the aging, it's going to become a bigger and bigger issue as the baby boomers get older. Perhaps some who were 60s activists will return to (or continue) activism for a better system. A lot of people don't have family to care for them, or are (for many reasons) unable to care for them. Having helped care for my dad in his last years (as have others here on the forum), I know how difficult a task it can be. Our American culture, in general, isn't geared towards multi-generational family living. There are a lot a families who do, but that's now how the majority live. When the nearest help is miles or states away, it's a problem.

As an aside, I don't agree with the reference to college students not deserving anything. The young ones, they're our future. They're worth the investment. Arbitrary bias for elders over young people is reverse ageism.

Yes it is my blog. And I agree with you, that maybe I was a little harsh on college kids. Mainly cause I am a 20 something year old guy who is super annoyed to see these kids demand free college and 15 dollars an hour but they are not hard working and really quite pathetic as far as society is concerned. These kids can work so they should work to earn what they can and do with it what they will. The old can no longer work because those years are past them but they still need help. So, instead of spying on Americans we should use that money not for free college for kids who can work we should make elderly care free.

WizardofOz

If you read my article I expressed that we should manage the money better

Agreed but people saving for their own retirement is a superior system than having 'free elderly care' where no one is responsible for themselves and state-run facilities become an entitlement.

There isn't a single product or service that 'must be free'.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Oh hey there you go.

Where does this
emoticones_gestos_cruzando-los-dedos2_en.PlanetaEmoticon.com.gif
free money come from? :smokie: Ex 20:15

journey

There are many levels of care, so the first task is to identify what your loved one needs. It's obvious that the vast majority of families can't afford 6 to 8 thousand dollars a month. The first option is to care for mom or dad at home and use home health care as needed. Currently, government assistance in several layers are available for those who meet the requirements. A usual requirement is selling their assets and using all of their own funds first.

My mother passed away last April. We went through the beginning stages before she died. Assisted living was fine for her for almost 2 years, and that was 2 thousand dollars a month. Very little individual care was involved in the basic package. Mom had a series of strokes and her needs for individual care went up - so did the costs. We did not exhaust all of mom's financial resources. I understand from recent news that government assistance for long-term care is about to be cut. I have no idea what many families will do.

glorydaz

What should people do who have no family? Or who can't afford the $8000 a month it costs for someone to be in a place where they are cared for 24/7? You're a fool if you think that hospice, meds, nursing home, and other things elderly people need is cheep and that every family can afford it.

Hospice is free, but you have to be at death's door before it kicks in. I agree we, as a nation, should care for the elderly (those who can't afford to care for themselves). If we can't do that, we have no business calling ourselves a Christian Nation.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would feel guilty knowing that, because of me, others were having their hard earned money stripped from their pockets by force.

Charity is not charity if it's forced.

glorydaz

I would feel guilty knowing that, because of me, others were having their hard earned money stripped from their pockets by force.

Hey, if it was left up to me I'd wander out in the woods and let the coyotes get me, but I sure can't abide old folks left to die without adequate care. We have to pay the government all our money clear up through May....they can certainly do better with that money than dole it out to the politicians and government workers who waste more than most people ever earn in a lifetime.

Arthur Brain

Hey, if it was left up to me I'd wander out in the woods and let the coyotes get me, but I sure can't abide old folks left to die without adequate care. We have to pay the government all our money clear up through May....they can certainly do better with that money than dole it out to the politicians and government workers who waste more than most people ever earn in a lifetime.

Yeah, for those who bleat on about 'stealing' where it comes to free care for the elderly then where's the same self righteous disgust at the bloated wages of corporate fat cats, politicians and all the rest who milk money for all its worth while contributing what exactly?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

It's so hard being raised in an upper-middle class family, going to college, and getting a job doing pretty much anything you desire.

Those pesky lower class people struggling to stay afloat have it so much easier, and should hush it!

So, charity is basically just out of self-interest, then :rolleyes:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's so hard being raised in an upper-middle class family, going to college, and getting a job doing pretty much anything you desire.

Those pesky lower class people struggling to stay afloat have it so much easier, and should hush it!

So, charity is basically just out of self-interest, then :rolleyes:
You think that way because you are a moron.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You think that way because you are a moron.

I think that way because there is something wrong with you calling yourself a Christian and having those sort of complaints.

You're the type of person who complains about food stamps- the 1% of spending, literally, out of taxes.
Yeah, preach your faith though :plain:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think that way because there is something wrong with you calling yourself a Christian and having those sort of complaints.

You're the type of person who complains about food stamps- the 1% of spending, literally, out of taxes.
Yeah, preach your faith though :plain:
Christians know stealing is wrong.
And they also know that charity is a free will offering, not stealing from one to give to another.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Christians know stealing is wrong.
And they also know that charity is a free will offering, not stealing from one to give to another.

Hoarders keeping the wealth are worse than thieves.

A lot of them are the thieves themselves- making large amounts of money with little effort is abstract thievery. 'Working hard' is something that mostly poorer people do- they're the one's being cheated.