Earth, Space, and Beyond!

Quetzal

This morning I got to watch the launch (online) of an Atlas V rocket carrying the GPS IIF-12 satellite. This is the second launch I have gotten to watch on a live stream and I plan on seeing one in person at some point this year. I love watching these, my favorite part is the launch status check. It gives me chills...

"Flight to all systems, go-no-go... OTC..."
"OTC go"
"PTO"
"PTO go"
"Prop 1"
"Prop 1 go"

As they are listed off it dawns on me...

"Prop 2"
"Prop 2 go"
"Guidance"
"Guidance go"

That in order for one of these launches to be successful it takes ten of thousands of man hours...

"Booster"
"Booster go"
"Navigation"
"Navigation go"

...with the cooperation of dozens of nations.

"Network"
"Network go"
"Recovery"
"Recovery go"

The technology behind taking a person or a satellite into space is years in the making and we have yet to scratch the surface!

"CAPCOM"
"CAPCOM go"
"Retro"
"Retro go"
"Houston flight"
"Houston go"

If I ever need something to remind me that there is still cooperation in the world, I need to look no further than mission control.

"Flight from Cape Canaveral, all systems go. Final delay lifted. T-4 minutes to launch"

The Berean

My job has allowed me to travel to the Guiana Space Center and the Baikonur Cosmodrome. I have seen an Ariane 4, Ariane 5, and Soyuz manned launch in person.

2012101113473445111.jpg

4ELiypTAR5JakgYVT9HzXIqIxYknO6f2yK55839r6NZBbWwPzG1O1m_r-PMiZmJLlCh2HvMNfiSshMWfcrEZAqjKDsEkY_vWBwLGlMB6ka_qyVsAH2bC=w426-h602

hello_html_1e0523d1.png

GuySmiley

That in order for one of these launches to be successful it takes ten of thousands of man hours...
In the Air Force I worked at a control center. After years of mission planning, database building, rehearsals, more rehearsals, cross country travel to meetings but hundreds of people, we finally had one of our missions on live TV feed for launch. We all gathered round the TV expecting the next 3 weeks to be 24 hour operations for 50 people to check out the satellite for normal operations. STEP mission 3 launched on a Pegasus booster and blew up.

Well I got to go to bed early that night at least, lol. And that's just the control center. A thousand other people were involved in the rest of the program, building, testing, the satellite and payload.

When a launch fails I cant help but think of the hours put into that mission.

theophilus

I haven't watched a launch since the Challenger exploded.

:(

I love the space program but can't take the "mistakes" any more; they're too hard on my heart.

elohiym

What's that cost to wreck one of those?

$20 - $23 ... That specific model that I have is called "Big Bertha."

We launched her many times before she was damaged.

Engines are $8 for a three-pack.

$18 for a launch pad, but that's a one-time purchase.

Happy children ... priceless. :)