Earth may have underground 'ocean' three times that on surface

john w

Hall of Fame
So considering 30 years ago as not 'recent' makes me a troll? You really are an idiot.

Slower-pay attention:

"I was taught in geology classes in the 80s that the upper mantle was expected to have masses of water, so I don't believe your statement is true."-your argument=not recent-in the 80's

You missed it-I qualified it:

"until recently,"-me

And I countered:
"My statement is true, as acceptance by the scientific community, of fountains beneath, is a relatively new acceptance, timewise........In the 1970s, as I understand it."

Your rabbit trail "response," changing the argument, having NADA to do with the issue of its relatively recent acceptance by the scientific community:

"Those are nothing remotely like the Hydroplate fountains - how do these small vents relate to the huge vents that are necessary for biblical purposes?"

Now, sit dishonest seeker/troll-I've marked you.

Can you dig it?

Good.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Interesting....

After decades of searching scientists have discovered that a vast reservoir of water, enough to fill the Earth’s oceans three times over, may be trapped hundreds of miles beneath the surface, potentially transforming our understanding of how the planet was formed.

The water is locked up in a mineral called ringwoodite about 660km (400 miles) beneath the crust of the Earth, researchers say. Geophysicist Steve Jacobsen from Northwestern University in the US co-authored the study published in the journal Science and said the discovery suggested Earth’s water may have come from within, driven to the surface by geological activity, rather than being deposited by icy comets hitting the forming planet as held by the prevailing theories.

“Geological processes on the Earth’s surface, such as earthquakes or erupting volcanoes, are an expression of what is going on inside the Earth, out of our sight,” Jacobsen said.

“I think we are finally seeing evidence for a whole-Earth water cycle, which may help explain the vast amount of liquid water on the surface of our habitable planet. Scientists have been looking for this missing deep water for decades.”

- COMPLETE ARTICLE

Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Gen 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
Gen 1:10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

LA

john w

Hall of Fame
Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Gen 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
Gen 1:10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

LA

Translated: Post few scriptures, don't explain them, and the TOL audience will be bedazzled.

Wow! Kramer's "monkey arch enemy," Barry, could do that.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
So how does it support his hypothesis? Or are you only interested in making negative comments?

The op title says 'ocean', which requires liquid, and the mantle doesn't have it. Where are the 'oceans' of the op?

Walt predicted 'pooled water under mountains', but this don't exist. Why doesn't that undermine the idea on your mind?

You have no clue what's going on 400 miles under the crust.

john w

Hall of Fame
You have no clue what's going on 400 miles under the crust.

He just read a few articles on it, J of P, by surfing the web, or watched a few episodes of "Star Trek," and "The Big Bang" TV "shows," respectively, and now he is an "expert," like "Sheldon," or "Science Officer" Spock.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So how does it support his hypothesis?
Who said it did? :idunno:

Or are you only interested in making negative comments?
Try reading my comments. They're on topic and substantive. :up:

The op title says 'ocean', which requires liquid, and the mantle doesn't have it. Where are the 'oceans' of the op?
Apparently locked up in rock. Didn't you read the link?

Walt predicted 'pooled water under mountains', but this don't exists. Why doesn't that undermine the idea on your mind?
If you want to discuss something other than OP, start your own thread.

gcthomas

The paper in the OP makes predictions from standard plate tectonics theory and finds seismic measurements support the theory. No water has been found, but if the plate tectonics theory is true then the presence of water can be inferred.

Did you think the thread was about something different, Stripe? If you reject plate tectonics theory, then there is not evidence here for water in the mantle.

Dehydration melting at the top of the lower mantle
Brandon Schmandt et al

Abstract

The high water storage capacity of minerals in Earth’s mantle transition zone (410- to 660-kilometer depth) implies the possibility of a deep H2O reservoir, which could cause dehydration melting of vertically flowing mantle. We examined the effects of downwelling from the transition zone into the lower mantle with high-pressure laboratory experiments, numerical modeling, and seismic P-to-S conversions recorded by a dense seismic array in North America. In experiments, the transition of hydrous ringwoodite to perovskite and (Mg,Fe)O produces intergranular melt. Detections of abrupt decreases in seismic velocity where downwelling mantle is inferred are consistent with partial melt below 660 kilometers. These results suggest hydration of a large region of the transition zone and that dehydration melting may act to trap H2O in the transition zone.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The paper in the OP makes predictions from standard plate tectonics theory and finds seismic measurements support the theory. No water has been found, but if the plate tectonics theory is true then the presence of water can be inferred.

Did you think the thread was about something different, Stripe? If you reject plate tectonics theory, then there is not evidence here for water in the mantle.

You're finally catching up. :rolleyes:

You're so desperate to disagree with everything that looks like it might be being used to uphold the flood that you're blind to the fact that I would agree with you that this story isn't overly helpful to the YEC position — mostly because it assumes plate tectonics theory.

You need to stop reacting and respond to what people say. :up:

gcthomas

Oh. Another cliche. Stumped me again, with that "Teen's Choice Awards" stumper.

I told you to have a seat.

... says the misogynist who thinks that calling someone a girl is an insult. You should know, JW, that society has moved on: women aren't second class citizens any more.