Dreams

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Do you believe God speaks to individuals in dreams today?

"In the past, God spoke to people sometimes in dreams. Examples are Joseph, son of Jacob (Genesis 37:5–10); Joseph, the husband of Mary (Matthew 2:12–22); Solomon (1 Kings 3:5–15); and several others (Daniel 2:1; 7:1; Matthew 27:19). There is also a prophecy of the prophet Joel (Joel 2:28), quoted by the apostle Peter in Acts 2:17, that mentions God using dreams..." Full text: Are our dreams from God?

"...[T]he kingdom of glory shall be introduced by the universal change of nature, v. 30, 31." Henry, M. (1994). Matthew Henry’s commentary on the whole Bible: complete and unabridged in one volume (p. 1500). Peabody: Hendrickson.

And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth:
Blood and fire and pillars of smoke.
The sun shall be turned into darkness,
And the moon into blood,
Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD. The New King James Version. (1982). (Joe 2:30–31). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

"[D]reams … visions—(Ac 9:10; 16:9). The “dreams” are attributed to the “old men,” as more in accordance with their years; “visions” to the “young men,” as adapted to their more lively minds. The three modes whereby God revealed His will under the Old Testament (Nu 12:6), “prophecy, dreams, and visions,” are here made the symbol of the full manifestation of Himself to all His people, not only in miraculous gifts to some, but by His indwelling Spirit to all in the New Testament (Jn 14:21, 23; 15:15). In Ac 16:9; 18:9, the term used is “vision,” though in the night, not a dream. No other dream is mentioned in the New Testament save those given to Joseph in the very beginning of the New Testament, before the full Gospel had come; and to the wife of Pilate, a Gentile (Mt 1:20; 2:13; 27:19). “Prophesying” in the New Testament is applied to all speaking under the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit, and not merely to foretelling events. All true Christians are “priests” and “ministers” of our God (Is 61:6), and have the Spirit (Ez 36:26, 27). Besides this, probably, a special gift of prophecy and miracle-working is to be given at or before Messiah’s coming again." Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (1997). Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Joe 2:28). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

"Dreams—thoughts visualized in sleep

A. Purposes of:
Restrain from evil
Gen. 20:3
Reveal God’s will
Gen. 28:11–22
Encourage
Judg. 7:13–15
Reveal future
Gen. 37:5–10
Instruct
Matt. 1:20
B. The interpretation of:
Sought anxiously
Dan. 2:1–3
Belong to God
Gen. 40:8
Revealed by God
Gen. 40:8
Sought for God’s will
Num. 12:6
Sometimes delusive
Is. 29:7, 8
False, by false prophets
Deut. 13:1–5" Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1996). Nelson’s quick reference topical Bible index (p. 185). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Last edited:

rainee

Hi Serpent Dove,
I think you forgot a verse?

Jeremiah 23

25 “I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in My name, saying, ‘I have dreamed, I have dreamed!’

26 How long will this be in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies?

Indeed they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart,

27 who try to make My people forget My name by their dreams which everyone tells his neighbor, as their fathers forgot My name for Baal.

28 “The prophet who has a dream, let him tell a dream;

And he who has My word, let him speak My word faithfully.

What is the chaff to the wheat?” says the Lord.

29 “Is not My word like a fire?” says the Lord,

“And like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?

30 “Therefore behold, I am against the prophets,” says the Lord, “who steal My words every one from his neighbor.

31 Behold, I am against the prophets,” says the Lord, “who use their tongues and say, ‘He says.’

32 Behold, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” says the Lord, “and tell them, and cause My people to err by their lies and by their recklessness.

Yet I did not send them or command them; therefore they shall not profit this people at all,” says the Lord.

glorydaz

Hi Serpent Dove,

Jeremiah 23

25 “I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in My name, saying, ‘I have dreamed, I have dreamed!’

27 who try to make My people forget My name by their dreams which everyone tells his neighbor, as their fathers forgot My name for Baal.

30 “Therefore behold, I am against the prophets,” says the Lord, “who steal My words every one from his neighbor.

31 Behold, I am against the prophets,” says the Lord, “who use their tongues and say, ‘He says.’

32 Behold, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” says the Lord, “and tell them, and cause My people to err by their lies and by their recklessness.

Yet I did not send them or command them; therefore they shall not profit this people at all,” says the Lord.

Ya gotta love how balanced is the word of God.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Hi Serpent Dove,

Jeremiah 23

That's right. God primarily speaks to us through his word (Ps 119:160). :poly: If our dreams disagree with his word, it's probably because we had too much pizza that evening.

smiley-eating-pizza-emoticon.gif

"Jer 23:25 I have dreamed. Here was a claim to divine revelation through dreams (cf. Num. 12:6). But such claims were a deception (vv. 26, 27), utterly unequal in power to God’s Word (vv. 28, 29).
23:29 like a fire … hammer. God’s Word has irresistible qualities to prevail over the deception in the shepherd’s false messages.
23:33 the oracle of the LORD … What oracle? The people asked, in mockery, for Jeremiah to give them his latest prophecy (“oracle”). This ridicule of Jeremiah’s faithful preaching demanded a response, and God told the prophet to repeat the question and reply simply “I will even forsake you,” meaning judgment from God was coming.
23:34–40 The oracle of the LORD! When a person falsely claimed to have a word from God, he would be punished for perverting God’s truth. Claiming to have prophecies from God, when not true, is dangerous." MacArthur, J., Jr. (Ed.). (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed., p. 1096). Nashville, TN: Word Pub.

Last edited:

Truster

''The just shall live by trust'' is what is written and is indeed my experience from the moment of my conversion through each and every moment of each and every day.

I have met poor people who have had their lives ruined by stupid prophecies or dream interpretation or even ''I have a word from the Lord for you''.