Don't Tithe: Give more or less, but not 10%!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Poly

Oh please! You can't be serious. Look at all the big ministries out there. Their main focus is getting people to put "their money where their mouth is", to an ureal extreme due to pressure of God supposedly not prospering them if they don't. These churches are in serious trouble regardless of the mucho donations given to them.

Well in that case, the money's not exactly going to the right people...

Sozo

Originally posted by granite1010

If Christians aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is the church is in serious trouble.

Which church would that be?

This one...

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sozo

Which church would that be?

This one...

Looks like a sports stadium or planetarium.

Most believers tip God. I would rather tithe with the right motive than live a selfish, materialistic life ignoring the needs of the world and kingdom. I am not immune to materialism (Mt. 6).

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by godrulz

Looks like a sports stadium or planetarium.

Most believers tip God. I would rather tithe with the right motive than live a selfish, materialistic life ignoring the needs of the world and kingdom.

But why must it be tithing with the right motive? By this you're requiring something extra of yourself that would cause the "right motive" to not come into play. When you take the tithe out of the picture it's easier to have a right motive when it comes to giving.

Sozo

But why must it be tithing with the right motive? By this you're requiring something extra of yourself that would cause the "right motive" to not come into play. When you take the tithe out of the picture it's easier to have a right motive when it comes to giving.

:thumb:

As I have said many times before...

"The only way to have true responsibility is to be free from liability"

godrulz

Hall of Fame

At the beginning of the week, let each give systematically, and proportionately according to their income, generously, sacrifically in worship and obedience to God (principles from I Cor. 16 vs prescription).

godrulz

Hall of Fame

:thumb:

As I have said many times before...

"The only way to have true responsibility is to be free from liability"

"Love God and do as you please." - Augustine

Sozo

"Love God and do as you please." - Augustine
Why do you make quotes about things that have NOTHING to do with the conversation at hand, and clearly NOTHING to do with the quote I gave?

At the beginning of the week, let each give systematically, and proportionately according to their income, generously, sacrifically in worship and obedience to God (principles from I Cor. 16 vs prescription).
READ IT AGAIN, you misguided pervert. It says NOTHING about how anyone should give. Paul is only directing them on what they should do with that which WAS given. What an idiot.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That Sozo can't see the value in Augustine, of all people, says a lot...just appreciate the maxim, Sozo, and stop being so uptight.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

That Sozo can't see the value in Augustine, of all people, says a lot...just appreciate the maxim, Sozo, and stop being so uptight.

Augustine's principle, properly understood, reinforces sozo's principles against legalism. Love is true in contrast to legalism or license. Who is the idiot?

Sozo

Who is the idiot?
I've already answered that.

I do not believe that we should "do as we please". Just that we should be free to do so. Big difference.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

I've already answered that.

I do not believe that we should "do as we please". Just that we should be free to do so. Big difference.

If we truly know and love God, we will do what pleases Him, not what is wrong or self-pleasing.

"Delight yourself in the Lord (LOVE GOD), and He will give you the desires of your heart (do as you please, because His delights will be your delights and we will not desire to do evil)."

Ps. 37:4

Quit nitpicking. Augustine had a pithy point that is proverbial, except to pungent people like petty Pharisee-sozo. Jesus essentially said the same thing. The law was summed up as loving God supremely and others equal as ourselves. If we love God and others, we will do what is good, right, and pleasing (read Rom. 12:1,2 about being transformed to do God's good, pleasing, perfect will with our bodies, not just imputed righteousness without practical implications).

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
godrulz,

Paul explicitly said the reverse. He said that you can be saved and not have any works at all. NO WORKS! NONE! NADA! ZIP! ZERO!

How can that square with what you are saying?

Resting in Him,
Clete

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

godrulz,

Paul explicitly said the reverse. He said that you can be saved and not have any works at all. NO WORKS! NONE! NADA! ZIP! ZERO!

How can that square with what you are saying?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Post # where I said tithing saves us or that works are essential for salvation? You must have read more into it than I intended.

I was talking about living the Christian life subsequent to salvation. Do you just sit around and meditate on your navel, or do you live in the world, home, and church. Do not confuse my views on justification by faith alone with praying, witnessing, good works (James), giving, loving, serving, ministering. These can be done for the glory of God and the good of man, but they do not save us (Rom. 1:16,17; Eph. 2:8-10 balance of faith/root and works/fruit).

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
Our Fellowship sets ten percent of our tithes aside for the Feasts of the Lord. When we celebrate Passover, or Pentecost, everything is paid for through the Church. Also the Church supports the widows and orphanages through the tithes on a weekly basis. Wr are encouraged to give some of our tithe to people in need, who cross our path.
We are not incorporated, we are a Church, of God!
Jesus said to tithe without neglecting the weigthier matters of the Law.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Post # where I said tithing saves us or that works are essential for salvation? You must have read more into it than I intended.

I was talking about living the Christian life subsequent to salvation.
So was Paul.

Do you just sit around and meditate on your navel, or do you live in the world, home, and church. Do not confuse my views on justification by faith alone with praying, witnessing, good works (James), giving, loving, serving, ministering. These can be done for the glory of God and the good of man, but they do not save us (Rom. 1:16,17; Eph. 2:8-10 balance of faith/root and works/fruit).
James was explicitly talking about being justified by works. He even said that verbatim...

James 2:24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

James unabashedly teaches law, in directly conflict with Paul's Gospel of Grace. You are reading other people's mail. You can try all you like to mix the two; the result of which will be confusion, frustration and failure.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jeremiah

Our Fellowship sets ten percent of our tithes aside for the Feasts of the Lord. When we celebrate Passover, or Pentecost, everything is paid for through the Church. Also the Church supports the widows and orphanages through the tithes on a weekly basis. Wr are encouraged to give some of our tithe to people in need, who cross our path.
We are not incorporated, we are a Church, of God!
Jesus said to tithe without neglecting the weigthier matters of the Law.
Is the Law still in effect, now that Christ has died and risen again? Or is grace in effect?

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
I am not trying to be cute, but I think that they are both in effect. The fact that we continue on each day with so much sin in our lives and in this world, proves to me that grace is in effect.
The fact that our consciences alert us, when we sin, proves that the law still exists.
However, I think that the definition of "the Law" is best defined as the 'teaching and instruction of God.'
One does not gain salvation by keeping to God's teaching and instructions, but neither is that a good reason to ignore them, as if they were all for a different people, time, or place! The commandments are for anyone who is a child of God. They bring life, and not death. They are for are good and not for our harm.
One can not be harmed by tithing, unless one sees it as a part of keeping all the "Law" unto salvation. Then the "law" becomes a curse.
If the New Covenant is a covenant of grace, and it is, then what does it mean when He states that He will write the "Law" on our hearts? Jeremiah 31-31thru34

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Salvation is life, so the law does not bring life, because it does not bring salvation.

Yes, there are moral standards that are good to follow, but they don't have anythign to do with our salvation. And the law is made of no effect with grace in effect. What do you think Romans 6:14 means?

Status
Not open for further replies.