ECT Dear wolves/wolf-ette's, children of the devil, Cain, Jr.'s,: What sins?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The word 'repent' for humans is always for us to repent of our sins.

Repent or perish, John W.

What does 'repent' mean in vs 30?

Act 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

musterion

Act 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth
ALL men every where to repent:

Maybe I'm wrong but seems to me that if repent there means "stop sinning," then God was telling ALL people to stop sinning in order to be made right with Him (which would make LS true). That -- just stopping doing what you know is sin -- doesn't really require faith a-tall...even though "without faith it is impossible to please God." Which creates a contradiction.

And what about those sins one may NOT know are sins? How does one stop doing those? Do they count?

But there again, that aligns right fine with Calvinism, where the order (supposedly) is election -> quickening/regeneration -> conviction -> implanted faith -> forgiveness/justification.

It also lends itself to universalism...if God commands all men everywhere to repent [stop sinning], and if only God can enable someone to stop sinning, then God must intend to enable everyone to stop sinning. Which means all will ultimately be saved. Because God can't lie.

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

john w

Hall of Fame

Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
The context of "repent" in Acts 17:30 KJV is to "change their minds" re. who the true God was....

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?105620-SPOD-Tet-on-the-losing-end-again

musterion

Exactly!
It's understood through the context, as well as through the literal meaning of the Greek word for 'repent': metanoeo- meta- after + noos- mind.....aftermind/change of mind.

So...

if someone defines repent as 'change of mind,' then that perfectly explains how God could repent [change His mind] WITHOUT AUTOMATICALLY SLANDERING HIM OF SINNING LIKE THOSE WHO SAY REPENT ALWAYS MEANS 'STOP SINNING.'

:think:

Makes sense.

Predicted response:

"You don't believe the Bible."

-- GT

Danoh

Exactly!
It's understood through the context, as well as through the literal meaning of the Greek word for 'repent': metanoeo- meta- after + noos- mind.....aftermind/change of mind.

Yes, steko, but some ever remain incapable of putting that kind of two and two together properly.

You have to have dealt with people like that in other areas of life before.

It is not always that all such are up to no good.

Rather, that no matter how much they might want to know the "what's what" of a thing, their minds are such that they are simply not able to put a things "two and two" together properly; even when shown.

Personally, it fascinates me that some on here can't see this - on the Andy Griffith Show, this kind of thing is exactly often the very problem behind Goober's "say it agin!"

The guy forever means well, but he's simply not all there.

1 Corinthians 12:22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

1 Thessalonians 5:14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

God's Truth

God commands everyone to repent---that is of sins.

God's Truth

Maybe I'm wrong but seems to me that if repent there means "stop sinning," then God was telling ALL people to stop sinning in order to be made right with Him (which would make LS true).
Repent of sins, even the sin of believing ANOTHER GOSPEL.
Obey God when He says NO OTHER GOSPEL.
That -- just stopping doing what you know is sin -- doesn't really require faith a-tall

You have to have a lot of faith to lean NOT ON your own understanding, but obey Him anyway and trust Him. Trust Him that something great will happen when you obey.

...even though "without faith it is impossible to please God." Which creates a contradiction.

And what about those sins one may NOT know are sins? How does one stop doing those? Do they count?
Confess maybe not knowing what is sin.

But there again, that aligns right fine with Calvinism, where the order (supposedly) is election -> quickening/regeneration -> conviction -> implanted faith -> forgiveness/justification.

How in the world did you make that false leap?

It also lends itself to universalism...if God commands all men everywhere to repent [stop sinning], and if only God can enable someone to stop sinning,

Enables? How did you venture into Calvinism? Calvinism says YOU CANNOT obey before you are saved. I preach we HAVE TO obey to be saved.

then God must intend to enable everyone to stop sinning.

Everyone can obey and stop sinning. Work out your salvation. Train yourselves. Live up to what you have been given. Be over comers. I can give you the scriptures that say that.

Which means all will ultimately be saved. Because God can't lie.

Not all obey.

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

...and I gave importance to your thoughts. At least do the same for me.

God's Truth

So...

if someone defines repent as 'change of mind,' then that perfectly explains how God could repent [change His mind] WITHOUT AUTOMATICALLY SLANDERING HIM OF SINNING LIKE THOSE WHO SAY REPENT ALWAYS MEANS 'STOP SINNING.'

:think:

Makes sense.

Predicted response:

"You don't believe the Bible."

-- GT

God doesn't have to repent of sins, we do.

We have to change our mind about SINNING.

God's Truth

Too bad, you missed an opportunity to grow in understanding.

It is never ever wrong or in the dark to obey.

John 12:36
While you have the Light, believe in the Light, so that you may become sons of light." After Jesus had spoken these things, He went away and hid Himself from them.

Romans 13:12
The night is nearly over; the day has drawn near. So let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.

1 Thessalonians 5:5 You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness.

John 3:20
Everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come into the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

John 7:17
If anyone desires to do His will, he will know whether My teaching is from God or whether I speak on My own.

1 John 1:6
If we say we have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

God's Truth

Closer.

Now watch her dishonestly say this is what she meant all along.

I have been here for more years than you have. Don't tell me what I have and have not been saying. I have posted over 40,000 posts (many removed per everyone by administration), and you no where near that, and you want to tell me I am closer and am a liar. I am not what you say I am. I do not do what you say I do. You are an accuser, and a false one at that.

We have to repent SIN.

Repent is to STOP SINNING.

john w

Hall of Fame
Mark 14:65
Then some of them began to spit on Him. They blindfolded Him, struck Him with their fists, and said to Him, "Prophesy!" And the officers received Him with slaps in His face.

More spamming of irrelevant verses. Nice monkey act, moron.