Dear Gun Culture: THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT

Greg Jennings

Well I don't know. What kind of ban on what kind of gun? I personally see zero good reason for anyone to walk around with the militarized carbines you can get easily and for cheap, so cleaning those up wouldn't faze me at all.

I agree with that. I have never understood why anyone would own those types of firearms unless they were military personnel. They have no real function other than killing people and making hunting game so easy it's not fun. But I see no problem with people being allowed to own handguns and hunting rifles/shotguns, do you?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I agree with that. I have never understood why anyone would own those types of firearms unless they were military personnel. They have no real function other than killing people and making hunting game so easy it's not fun. But I see no problem with people being allowed to own handguns and hunting rifles/shotguns, do you?

No, I guess not, although frankly there are better and bigger concerns. We need to give up this sick obsession slash love affair with guns. If it's a relationship, it's an abusive one.

HisServant

Why?.. because we glorify the troops!... we are a culture of war. We are just itching to go into another war or war against some perceived internal threat.

Someone pointed out to me a long time ago, that we have been at war during our existence as a country far longer than anyone else.

Greg Jennings

No, I guess not, although frankly there are better and bigger concerns. We need to give up this sick obsession slash love affair with guns. If it's a relationship, it's an abusive one.

I disagree with you somewhat. Millions across the country use guns for hunting and self-defense. Those are very good reasons to own them and do not constitute a "sick obsession." Perhaps you've never been around people who enjoy hunting, or have never had to defend yourself or your family. But making a blanket statement as you have here seems disingenuous

Greg Jennings

Why?.. because we glorify the troops!... we are a culture of war. We are just itching to go into another war or war against some perceived internal threat.

Someone pointed out to me a long time ago, that we have been at war during our existence as a country far longer than anyone else.

It has nothing to do with war. It has to do with the fact that military personnel are qualified to handle such militarized rifles. The normal everyday American isn't. It's that simple.

I agree mostly with your statements on America's love affair with war, however. I'd love to see us not stick our noses into other people's business overseas for a good long while

Granite

Hall of Fame
I disagree with you somewhat. Millions across the country use guns for hunting and self-defense.

Which, again, is fine.

Those are very good reasons to own them and do not constitute a "sick obsession."

Which I'm aware of. I'm a gun owner.

Perhaps you've never been around people who enjoy hunting, or have never had to defend yourself or your family.

And perhaps you have no idea who you're talking to or what the hell you're talking about. Grew up with and around them so they don't have any particular allure, aura, mystique, or fascination to me. What I'm tired of is the death cult led by the NRA gun lobby at the expense of literally everyone and everything else. I'm repulsed by open carry thuggery. I'm disgusted by the race-baiting fascist buffoonery of reactionary politicians and Wayne LaPierre. I'm disgusted by the "cold dead hands" armchair macho Rambo tough guy idiocy.

I'd prefer prudence, respect, rationality, and good discipline.

Greg Jennings

Which, again, is fine.

Which I'm aware of. I'm a gun owner.

And perhaps you have no idea who you're talking to or what the hell you're talking about. Grew up with and around them so they don't have any particular allure, aura, mystique, or fascination to me. What I'm tired of is the death cult led by the NRA gun lobby at the expense of literally everyone and everything else. I'm repulsed by open carry thuggery. I'm disgusted by the race-baiting fascist buffoonery of reactionary politicians and Wayne LaPierre. I'm disgusted by the "cold dead hands" armchair macho Rambo tough guy idiocy.

I'd prefer prudence, respect, rationality, and good discipline.

I understand. I boldened the part above to tell you that I was not accusing you of never being around those things. I threw in the word perhaps because I thought it was possible. No need to get worked up

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It was just a funny story. I don't think Granite was trying to make a larger point with it necessarily

twits around the world are using this example to diminish Carson

why?

because they're twits, of course, and it's important for them to tear down their betters

Greg Jennings

twits around the world are using this example to diminish Carson

why?

because they're twits, of course, and it's important for them to tear down their betters

Those who don't like Carson will take every opportunity to diminish him. That's true of any politician. However it is a bit harsher for Ben, for the reason that being a conservative black man is a position that (unfairly, VERY unfairly) garners vitriol from the left (particularly among other back people: see Upenn professor Anthea Butler calling Carson "coon of the year" days ago and receiving no real criticism for it). Being a black conservative is perhaps the toughest thing to be in the modern political climate

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Those who don't like Carson will take every opportunity to diminish him. That's true of any politician. However it is a bit harsher for Ben, for the reason that being a conservative black man is a position that (unfairly, VERY unfairly) garners vitriol from the left (particularly among other back people: see Upenn professor Anthea Butler calling Carson a "coon" days ago and receiving no real criticism for it). Being a black conservative is perhaps the toughest thing to be in the modern political climate

The idea of anyone running for office saying "I told a guy who to rob during a hold up" is pretty amusing.:chuckle:

HisServant

Those who don't like Carson will take every opportunity to diminish him. That's true of any politician. However it is a bit harsher for Ben, for the reason that being a conservative black man is a position that (unfairly, VERY unfairly) garners vitriol from the left (particularly among other back people: see Upenn professor Anthea Butler calling Carson "coon of the year" days ago and receiving no real criticism for it). Being a black conservative is perhaps the toughest thing to be in the modern political climate

I live just outside Philly and there isn't a peep about it on the local news web site.

ok doser

... Upenn professor Anthea Butler calling Carson a "coon" days ago and receiving no real criticism for it...

totally missed that one - i'm getting almost zero us election coverage - only what I hear here on tol

the canadian federal election is coming down to the wire - it's all been bill c51 and niqabs and mulcair and trudeau and harper

ok doser

The idea of anyone running for office saying "I told a guy who to rob during a hold up" is pretty amusing.:chuckle:

obviously, he's showing that he's willing to assist the mentally deficient

:think:

i spose this means he can count on your vote?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

:nono: There are likely more white liberals who think black people should behave in certain ways.

Greg Jennings

totally missed that one - i'm getting almost zero us election coverage - only what I hear here on tol

the canadian federal election is coming down to the wire - it's all been bill c51 and niqabs and mulcair and trudeau and harper

It's pretty sickening to me as Professor Butler's comments were glossed over, Rupert Murdoch was forced to apologize for saying that Carson would be a "real black president." One comment was racially derogatory but from a black woman, while the other was simply a comment on Carson being fully black instead of Obama's half and half and was from a white guy.

If Murdoch would've said what Butler said he would've been crucified by the media.

ok doser

this is why i unplugged from the american msm years ago

no tv

no radio in the car

only cbc radio at home