DAYSTAR movie of the week discussion thread

Interplanner

The Movie of the Week series has resumed.

Today's is the 2016 OLD RUGGED CROSS which is kind of an ingrown and unlikely competition between 2 pastors. I'll pass.

Interplanner

Today's is PERFECT STRANGER which was early Moore. 2005. It is a Jesus-insertion script where 'Jesus' is actually in a contemporary drama. Writing has come a long way since. The sequels of STRANGER were better. This movie was already reviewed above.

Interplanner

IN GRAMP'S SHOES (2014) in 10 mins on Daystar, DirecTV 369

a man reconnects with his estranged daughter, then meets his grandson for the first time.

Interplanner

2nd min: nice visuals for intro. I always like landscapes before drama.

14th: I'd say the dialogue pace and editing is geared for the grandfather audience over the younger audience. I don't think there's any question the older generation would watch this but not sure the younger would...

Interplanner

[1st: back when establishing the mortgage crisis, there was the common overstatement. It's actually understatement that gets across the gravity of the situation.]

34th: I like the idea of meeting partners at church. I think its more a message for the 30s and 40s than teens. Somehow it escapes many 30s and 40s that there is a decent structure to meet partners there.

36th: for a moment I thought the Hillsong conference was the church the family went to!

Interplanner

56th: We've had no unusual camera angles yet, that I recall. But technique has changed a lot since 2014...

63rd: not only do we have the question of grampa's money still hanging (he came because of financial trouble) but we don't really know what he does as work or other income. Waiting for a curious teenager to ask that question too.

Interplanner

68th: the only losers in life are those that don't go to heaven. Really? What about the friends who got busted on the drug delivery? I guess there is something direct and forceful about 'going to heaven' but grampa has actually been helping him on everything else.

85th: this dialogue topic range is great; the delivery is a bit stiff.

Interplanner

88th: the living room dialogue spiraled away from reality. We are missing a few things like how the daughter became interested. Does just going to church once do it? And the mom had stopped, yet is back to church once and is dating a believer. It would be great to know more about her than we do.

108th: great scene dialogue with the girlfriend, lots of ends tied together.

Interplanner

Sat.Apr.21 7PM EST DAYSTAR (DirecTV 369)

THE UNEXPECTED BAR MITZVAH
2015, drama
A budding friendship between a Christian boy and his Jewish friend creates tension between the fathers.