Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedshaker

Son, when a terminally ill atheist hasn't the energy or will to go out raging against the dying of the light but instead asks for miracles, I expect he's being at least half-serious.

Like you say, Al is an atheist and I don't remember your evidence free preaching being asked for and it certainly isn't called for. So perhaps you should keep it to yourself in this situation.... SON!

musterion

If Al wants to be offended, let him. He doesn't need you being offended on his behalf. I have greater respect for him than I ever will for you.

So cool out. This ain't about you.

Hedshaker

If Al wants to be offended, let him. He doesn't need you being offended on his behalf. I have greater respect for him than I ever will for you.

So cool out. This ain't about you.

It ain't about you either but you seem to see it as an excuse to preach at the atheist. So maybe you should butt out and preach at someone who is interested. I know for sure that Al doesn't believe a word of it.

And for the record, feelings are mutual regarding respect.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Discuss death and the atheists get all edgy for some reason. :idunno:

They've bought into oblivion; I wonder what they think of hope? :think:

musterion

It ain't about you either but you seem to see it as an excuse to preach at the atheist. So maybe you should butt out and preach at someone who is interested. I know for sure that Al doesn't believe a word of it.

And for the record, feelings are mutual regarding respect.

Stay out, boy. I'm talking to Al. He wants to tell me off, let him do it.

musterion

Yep; they deny eternity and insist on oblivion; say they take comfort in it, tell us we should too. They scoff at death when the sun's shining.

But let Death enter the room and some of them suddenly get all jumpy. Makes you wonder how convinced in immortal mortality they really are.

Hedshaker

That's easy. We prefer evidence to blind hope, but if you think hoping is worth your while then go for it.

And no one "buys into" oblivion, don't be ridiculous. It just happens that there's no evidence that anything at all happens after death. But feel free to hope and good luck with it,

musterion

That's easy. We prefer evidence to blind hope, but if you think hoping is worth your while then go for it.

And no one "buys into" oblivion, don't be ridiculous. It just happens that there's no evidence that anything at all happens after death. But feel free to hope and good luck with it,

If you REALLY believed all that, you would not have gotten all heated at something not even directed at you.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We prefer evidence.
Great! :thumb:

Show us your evidence that oblivion is all that awaits us.

Blind hope.
Nope. Hope.

We hope that our life has meaning and that the things we do, the relationships we build and the ideas we bring forth have meaning and context, rather than all being destined for nothingness.

If you think hoping is worth your while then go for it.
Let's be honest, in a debate over oblivion or hope, hope is the only possibly useful course.

We hope there is justice and mercy; that those who have had things all their own way and used their position to kill and destroy will face justice, while those who have sacrificed for the benefit of others will see their reward.

Hope is a good thing; perhaps the best of things.
No one "buys into" oblivion.
You believe it. :idunno:

It just happens that there's no evidence that anything at all happens after death.
Ah, the old argument from silence. We prefer a rational argument. Show us your evidence that oblivion is all that awaits.

Feel free to hope and good luck with it.
Well, if I'm wrong, at least I won't have to put up with you gloating. :)

musterion

A convinced atheist would not be so easily upset, especially about a conversation to which he was not invited.

(take the hint)

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As an atheist I rather expect... oblivion
But then you say:

However if there is a real god waiting up there, not the one of your ancient scripture and scientific ignorance, a god who respects free thinking rather than a mindless adherence, then let that god choose both our fates.
So you'd be okay with a god that was scientifically accurate and respects free thinking rather than mindless adherence.

Ironically, the god of ancient scripture describes himself, and acts in accordance with, exactly that.

But you would rather read otherwise into scripture. Why?

Hedshaker

Great! :thumb:

Show us your evidence that oblivion is all that awaits us.

First show me where I made that claim? But if you think something happens after death then the burdon of proof rests with you.

Nope. Hope.

What's the difference without evidence?

We hope that our life has meaning and that the things we do, the relationships we build and the ideas we bring forth have meaning and context, rather than all being destined for nothingness.

Good for you, but genuine evidence for life after death would be better.

Let's be honest, in a debate over oblivion or hope, hope is the only possibly useful course.

Have at it then, but without evidence it just wishful thinking.

We hope there is justice and mercy; that those who have had things all their own way and used their position to kill and destroy will face justice, while those who have sacrificed for the benefit of others will see their reward.

What, after death? There's no evidence dude, snap out of it!

Hope is a good thing; perhaps the best of things.

Sure, but blind without evidence.

You believe it. :idunno

It's not an active belief as such, more that there is no evidence for life after death. Unless of course you have the evidence...... got any?

Ah, the old argument from silence. We prefer a rational argument. Show us your evidence that oblivion is all that awaits.

Sure, as soon as you show me where I have made that claim. All I have said is that there is no evidence for life after death. I know you are desperate to switch the burden of proof but you are the one who claims (even if it's just blind hope) life after death, so the burden is yours. Present the evidence and we can all go home.

Well, if I'm wrong, at least I won't have to put up with you gloating. :)

As far as I know you might not be wrong. You just can't demonstrate any truth to it. And that's all there is to it.

What can be claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence - Christopher Hitchens

Hedshaker

A convinced atheist would not be so easily upset, especially about a conversation to which he was not invited.

Nor was you invited to preach. You could have just wished Alwight all the best. But no, you had to spew out all you superstitious nonsense where it wasn't called for. A convinced theist would know his audience

(take the hint)

You too :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.