Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

noguru

I would be interested in how many inmates were professing Christians prior to their incarceration. I have seen lots of accounts of prisoners “finding God” in jail. I suspect those prisoners who profess conversion are using “finding God” as a ploy that will look favorable to prison staff and parole boards. Of course that makes them even more, as you say, “downright fraudulent.”

Yep, from what I've seen most "traditional" theists outside of jail are trying to be clever by playing that same game. Their religion is just an excuse they use to hide and hide from their own lack of critical thinking skills.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What do debates with YEC engineers bring to science?
Good science. There are some plenty smart engineers that can figure things out scientifically.

Their only use is to generate publicity and misleading selective quotes for the YEC publicity drive. I can see why YEC types want to hold such debates, often with terribly restrictive 'rules' demanded at the last minute when a withdrawal by the scientist will look bad, but I don't see why most scientists would join in.
This isn't true. When there were more debates in the past, scientists that believe in common descent found themselves losing to YEC people and decided not to look into why they were losing, but preferred to stop debating.

The only rules that a YEC wants to restrict a scientist to are ones that keep the debate on topic and clear. That kind of restriction is, I'll agree, impossible for scientists that believe in common descent to discuss under.

If the YEC campaigns want real scientists involved they should move their claims closer to scientific reality.
You're silly. YEC debates stick close to scientific reality, but since scientists that believe in common descent get beat in that realm they have to avoid it.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Normally I could agree that DNA is encoded but you've already narrowed the definitions to be relating specifically to Shannon information only. So now I can't agree until you actually explain how it is applicable (since the definitions I would have agreed to are irrelevant). Our current argument is as to whether Shannon information "encode-transmission-decode" can be applied to DNA and to my current view there is no non-arbitrary way apply it (since there is no clear encode-transmission-decode unless you are talking about transcription/translation with mRNA). What you are really asking is 'can we just agree that we can apply Shannon information without me actually showing how to apply Shannon information?"
All Shannon requires is that the information is encoded and transmitted. How it is encoded doesn't matter.

And this means it fits Shannon information encode-transmission-decode why? And this sentence doesn't even makes sense "some portion of DNA encodes for is not DNA"???? I'm not actually sure what you're trying to say here anyway.... Could you reword it please?
I'm merely saying that the portion of DNA that encodes for a particular protein is not the protein that DNA encodes for.

We know enough about DNA that we shouldn't be unable to say during what changes/times/whatever Shannon information is applicable. Shouldn't you already have this figured out given you claim to know what the conclusions of applying the theory and math is already?
I know the conclusion, and it doesn't require math. In fact, I'll tell you up front where this is going: mutations are noise. They enter the system during transmission.

It's obvious to anyone but people that believe in common descent.

I don't disagree with them, but this is why I want to pin you down on what you mean now - you are playing loose with definitions and meanings. "Encode" can mean nothing more than specify the genetic code, but that is not a definition relevant to the application of Shannon information so is irrelevant.
Also the last does actual have a clear point of encoding, transmission and decoding - the information off a book in an electrical computer system is converted/compressed into a genetic code and was then later received and decoded back into an electronic computer system.
Can you say when there is an analogous process in a cell?
There is no difference between the DNA that encodes for a book and DNA that encodes for a protein in terms of Shannon.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
This isn't true. When there were more debates in the past, scientists that believe in common descent found themselves losing to YEC people and decided not to look into why they were losing, but preferred to stop debating.

Hard to stop laughing.

Which YEC people in particular? Hovind? Ham? Gish?

6days

Yorzick said:
gcthomas said:
Their only use is to generate publicity and misleading selective quotes for the YEC publicity drive. I can see why YEC types want to hold such debates, often with terribly restrictive 'rules' demanded at the last minute when a withdrawal by the scientist will look bad, but I don't see why most scientists would join in.
You are correct Yorzick. Evolutionists were losing most of the debates to well prepared scientists. *There are several reasons why evolutionists *lost most of the debates. The main reason evolutionists lost most debates is because there are far more facts that support intelligent design and Biblical creation. Evolutionists often had to argue against good science, and made bad and illogical arguments. (Circilar reasoning arguments... claiming that there is no evidence against common ancestry, and being proven wrong... claiming things to be fact, but then having to back down from the claim etc).

Yorzick said:
gcthomas said:
If the YEC campaigns want real scientists involved they should move their claims closer to scientific reality.
You're silly. YEC debates stick close to scientific reality, but since scientists that believe in common descent get beat in that realm they have to avoid it.
Case in point is hypocrite Richard Dawkins. He advizes people not to debate theists and creationist scientists *... yet the funy thing is he does it himself when he has a soft target. Dawkins has been ridiculed by media and other atheists for being cowardly.*

Jose Fly

there are far more facts that support intelligent design and Biblical creation.

Yet somehow.....somehow....creationism (including ID creationism) hasn't contributed a single thing to our scientific understanding of the world in at least 100 years, while at the same time evolution has served, and continues to serve, as the unifying framework of the life sciences.

You'd think if what you said was true, creationists would have managed to demonstrate it by contributing something....anything to science.

Gee, it's almost like your rhetoric doesn't match up with reality. Huh. :think:

Jose Fly

As far as debates being used to establish truth and reality, in all the debate teams I've been on it's a common exercise to take one side of a debate, win, then take the opposite side and win again.

But then, if debates are what really matters, perhaps we "evolutionists" should dredge up all the threads where creationists like 6days bail, leaving a suite of unanswered questions on the table? That'd be interesting, because in debates doing that means you concede the point.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
You are correct Yorzick. Evolutionists were losing most of the debates to well prepared scientists. *There are several reasons why evolutionists *lost most of the debates. The main reason evolutionists lost most debates is because there are far more facts that support intelligent design and Biblical creation. Evolutionists often had to argue against good science, and made bad and illogical arguments. (Circilar reasoning arguments... claiming that there is no evidence against common ancestry, and being proven wrong... claiming things to be fact, but then having to back down from the claim etc).

Case in point is hypocrite Richard Dawkins. He advizes people not to debate theists and creationist scientists *... yet the funy thing is he does it himself when he has a soft target. Dawkins has been ridiculed by media and other atheists for being cowardly.*

There's Obamas press secretary again, just keep saying science supports Biblical creationism over and over, like nailing jello to the wall.

6days

JoseFly said:
creationism (including ID creationism) hasn't contributed a single thing to our scientific understanding of the world in at least 100 years,

Evolutionism and creationism are beliefs about the past... not science. While neither belief syatem may have contributed to the advancement of science, evolutionism has actually hindered scientific progress.

DavisBJ

Evolutionism and creationism are beliefs about the past... not science.
Evolution is taught as part of the biology science curriculum at every major university that I know of. It is recognized as legitimate science by almost all of the major scientific organizations. It is considered as valid science by vastly more active PhD scientists than the number of scientists who believe that the Genesis creation account is scientifically accurate.

Nevertheless 6days, who makes no pretense to being a scientist himself, mindlessly declares again and again that it isn’t science.

DavisBJ

I think you get offended a bit too easily.
It is not a matter of offense as much as a matter of disappointment. In thousands of hours of conversing with other scientists I have seldom had to be as attentive to what the term “evolutionist” means as I do routinely with creationists. Instead of using the term to facilitate communication, creationists employ it as part of a lexicological minefield.
The word evolutionist is an accurate word and distinguishes evolutionists from creationists.
In prior conversations you have acknowledged that “evolutionist” can refer to a commoner who simply accepts Darwin’s theory, or it can reference scientists who actively do research relevant to the Theory of Evolution. As you say in your reply, it can refer to people concerned with how the early universe changes, and how stars evolve. The word can even refer to people concerned with the changing attitudes toward hairstyles, or morals, or political issues – all of which most definitely do include “creationists” within the umbrella of the term “evolutionists”.
(Not all astronomers or astrophysicists are evolutionists.)
I am not aware of any that are not, as you say below, “stellar evolutionists”. Even Jason Lisle mentions the evolution of stars. He is, by definition, both a creationist and an evolutionist.
I referred to them as "stellar evolutionists". They all believe that the stars and universe evolved, without supernatural cause.
I would hope that any even semi-intelligent scientist would believe that there is “stellar evolution” which does not depend on God pushing it along. The simple act of our sun consuming its limited supply of hydrogen fuel is a part of its evolution. Cadry-esque people are prone to having God micromanage every atom, but most rational scientists, including Christians (like Jason Lisle) recognize that stars evolve over time, sans God having to direct the process.
These scientists often ridicule each others beliefs.

But mainly HAHA at your statements because, most of the statements of ridicule were from the BBC.
The BBC, like all news and entertainment outlets, relies on appealing to its audience. Therefore it is in their interest to sometimes “quote mine” the most egregious-sounding things they can find. People, like you, who use that as indicative of the norm of how science works, are their gullible audience. Dawkins once had a quite civil and productive dialogue with an opponent (Dr. Steve Pinker). BBC got wind of the encounter, and quickly asked Dawkins if he and Dr. Pinker would reprise the encounter on TV that night. Dawkins assented, but the person coordinating the event then asked Dawkins what the primary items would be that he and Dr. Pinker were going to disagree on. Dawkins told him the conversation had been a productive exchange of ideas, not an adversarial debate. The BBC event coordinator immediately expressed consternation that there would not be a volatile disagreement between Dawkins and Dr. Pinker, and soon rescinded the invitation to appear on TV that night. You think BBC isn’t in it for the sensationalism? And you lapped it up.

I don’t dispute that scientists disagree, and sometimes vehemently. But if you actually go to the primary scientific literature dealing with the origins of the universe (not entertainment outlets like the BBC), you find the disagreements are about details of how it happened. Scientists are almost unanimous in dismissing as nonsense the timeline and mockery of science that creationists want us to accept.

Last edited:

DavisBJ

10 or more years ago, a YEC named Enyart teamed up with a high school math teacher in a debate against two OEC professional geologists with advanced degrees. The conduct of that debate was fascinating. One of the old-earth geologists went first, politely explaining why his side held an old-earth view. He mentioned items from geology and from how Genesis can be interpreted. Then Enyart came up, and the tone of the debate altered substantially. It was clear that in Enyart’s view, old-earth and apostate were pretty much equivalent terms, and he went on the attack. Since under the debate format this opening salvo from each side was their primary opportunity to lay out their case, the old-earthers had lost much of their opportunity, and were forced into a defensive posture. They never effectively recovered the advantage, not because they were outclassed scientifically, but their Christianity itself was called into question.

Regarding your claim that YEC debates stick “close to scientific reality”, one of the scientific points Enyart presented was his claim that the vaunted Hubble Deep Field (HDF) photograph had shown that what had been hoped to be lots of early infant galaxies instead showed galaxies no different than are seen typically by telescopes. The OEC scientists had no reply to that claim.

As it turns out, the claim that HDF shows just “normal galaxies” was one Enyart had effectively used several times in earlier encounters and debates. However, Enyart’s success in using that claim was not because he was right (he was flatly wrong), but simply because most people were not aware of the HDF at all.

My point is that truth is not always what is presented in a debate. Falsehoods born of Ignorance, as shown in Enyart’s ignorance of what the HDF actually showed, can be as effective in apparently “winning a debate” as pure truth can.

Had both sides in the YEC-OEC debate instead had their points presented to qualified scientists to evaluate in depth away from the pressures of responding in front of an audience, then there would have been a huge difference in the outcome of that age-of-the-earth debate.

Creationist debates are loved by those who know they cannot hold their own when science is given the opportunity to methodically do its job.

6days

DavisBJ said:
6days said:
Evolutionism and creationism are beliefs about the past... not science.

Evolution is taught as part of the biology science curriculum at every major university that I know of. It is recognized as legitimate science by almost all of the major scientific organizations.

"The fallacy of equivocation occurs when a key term or phrase in an argument is used in an ambiguous way, with one meaning in one portion of the argument and then another meaning in another portion of the argument."

If by the word 'evolution', you mean "change in the heritable traits of biological populations over successive generations."... then that is emperical, observable, testable science.*

If by the word 'evolution', *you mean common ancestry beliefs....that is not emperical, observable, testable science.

Evolutionism and creationism are beliefs about the past.*

DavisBJ

... Case in point is hypocrite Richard Dawkins. He advizes people not to debate theists and creationist scientists ... yet the funy thing is he does it himself when he has a soft target. Dawkins has been ridiculed by media and other atheists for being cowardly.
Do I detect an undercurrent of envy in how you portray Dawkins? Dawkins, who has numerous publications both in his academic field of expertise, and in best-selling books presenting Darwinism to the public? Dawkins, who had an endowed Professorship created primarily for him by a joint agreement between a Microsoft executive and one of the most prestigious universities in England? Dawkins, who has been invited to present the honorary lectures initiated by Michael Faraday and only offered to one person annually? Dawkins, who has similarly been chosen to present lectures at hundreds of venues worldwide? Dawkins, who is honored by the world of science as an outstanding member of the scientific elite?

You can’t even stand in his shadow, so you do what your Christian hatred causes you to resort to – a smear campaign worthy of the best of your ilk.

(You know, a few others (Einstein, for example) have declined to lower themselves to debating the riff-raff.)

DavisBJ

If by the word 'evolution', you mean common ancestry beliefs....that is not emperical, observable, testable science.
I know you would dearly like your quirky claims to dictate what the evolution taught at universities includes. Sorry, but evolution (common ancestry) is taught as part of the biology science curriculum at every major university that I know of. It is recognized as legitimate science by almost all of the major scientific organizations. Your pathological denials do nothing to change that.

Tyrathca

All Shannon requires is that the information is encoded and transmitted. How it is encoded doesn't matter.
Agreed, any method would suffice I'm not picky. What I'm really after is when is DNA encoded and transmitted? The how is mainly because it's pretty hard to answer the when without it and we know so much about the inner workings that saying one basically implies the other.
I'm merely saying that the portion of DNA that encodes for a particular protein is not the protein that DNA encodes for.
OK so you're saying the DNA isn't the protein which it produces. Big whoop. I notice you threw the word "encode" around a lot in that sentence, as if doing so means that DNA must obviously under go a stage of encoding (as per Shannon information definitions).

I know the conclusion, and it doesn't require math.
You're applying a mathematical theorem, of course it requires math otherwise you're not applying Shannon information :)

In fact, I'll tell you up front where this is going: mutations are noise. They enter the system during transmission.
I know that's where you're going, you said that early on but we've been stuck on you showing that DNA is ever encoded or transmitted in cells (though you keep claiming it is).

So far the best you've been able to do is show that DNA can be used as a medium to encode to and transmit though unfortunately it has little to do with cells and that point was never actually contested. Or you've shown that it can possibly be applied to mRNA, also not helpful
It's obvious to anyone but people that believe in common descent.
So why don't you spell it out for me?

When does the cell's DNA get encoded (and from what) and when is it transmitted (preferably with an example of to where)?
There is no difference between the DNA that encodes for a book and DNA that encodes for a protein in terms of Shannon.
Sure - as long as you can show that encoding and transmission has taken place. We know so much about the cell why is this question so hard for you?

Last edited:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Michael,

I did not address your questions directly because it appeared (and still appears) to me that they were more in the nature of comments than actual requests for answers. I have been quite forthright about those subjects already, but just to satisfy your request I will give brief answer again. And, Michael, in accordance with my recently reaffirmed policy, I will not uselessly expend time debating the underlying science with you.

Yes, I do.

If you are asking if I believe the earth formed via natural processes, then yes.

I think of the word “nature” more as meaning the way the universe is seen to work.

Not at all. My disbelief in God is simply because I see nothing that convinces, or even seriously suggests, that anything beyond Mother Nature is involved in the universe we are in. “Atheist” = a – theist, meaning not a believer in there being a God. Less strident than anti-God – in opposition to the concept of God.

Yes, I too stand in awe of what I see Mother Nature has done.

My exuberance is more in quietly contemplating and appreciating the beauty of nature than in breaking down in laughter.

That is a theme that you express quite often.

I thought that was a particularly good Bruce Willis movie.

It is the remembrance of some things you have said that convinces me you may be well-intentioned, but nevertheless living in a mental fantasy world.

Honorable aspirations that I try to meet.

The minutiae of my daily life is not something others are interested in.

I hope your life is full, and you continue to have good health.

Dear DavisBJ,

I'm not about to answer your mess this way. I don't answer one sentences at-a-time and you know it, because you've done this before. So forget it. If you can't answer in paragraphs, then so be it. Otherwise, I'll have to decline like I did the last time.

Best Wishes,

Michael

Jose Fly

Evolutionism and creationism are beliefs about the past... not science. While neither belief syatem may have contributed to the advancement of science, evolutionism has actually hindered scientific progress.

Except for all those examples of evolution directly contributing to science that both of us have posted.

What's that? You don't remember the time you posted a paper describing how geneticists figured out that a handful of pseudogenes have evolved new functions? Do you remember how those discoveries were made under the framework of evolutionary relatedness of distant taxa? Do you remember the phrase "highly conserved sequences"?

Or do you remember the time you posted the Science Daily article about the human appendix, and how its status was updated only after scientists conducted comparative analyses across taxa....IOW, through the lens of evolutionary relatedness?

Nah...you probably don't remember those, do you?

DavisBJ

Dear DavisBJ,

I'm not about to answer your mess this way. I don't answer one sentences at-a-time and you know it, because you've done this before. So forget it. If you can't answer in paragraphs, then so be it. Otherwise, I'll have to decline like I did the last time.

Best Wishes,

Michael
No big deal, Mike. I was just responding with what you asked for, not particularly expecting you to respond back.

DavisBJ

… Richard Dawkins. He advizes people not to debate theists and creationist scientists ... yet the funy thing is he does it himself when he has a soft target. Dawkins has been ridiculed by media and other atheists for being cowardly.
Here is a partial list of significant events in Richard Dawkin’s life:

Honors:
Royal Society of Literature Award (1987)
Los Angeles Times Literary Prize (1987)
Sci. Tech Prize for Best Television Documentary Science Programme of the Year (1987)
Zoological Society of London, Silver Medal (1989)
Finlay Innovation Award (1990)
Royal Society, Michael Faraday Award (1990)
Nakayama Prize (1994)
Oxford University, First Charles Simonyi Professor for the Public Understanding of Science (1995)
American Humanist Association's Humanist of the Year Award (1996)
International Cosmos Prize for Achievement in Human Science (1997)
Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature (1997)
Fellow of the Royal Society (2001)
Kistler Prize (2001)
Italian Republic, Medal of the Presidency (2001)
FFRF, Emperor Has No Clothes Award (2001 & 2012)
Royal Philosophical Society of Glasgow, Bicentennial Kelvin Medal (2002)
Atheist Alliance International, created annual “Richard Dawkins Award”, (2003)
Alfred Toepfer Foundation, Shakespeare Prize (2005)
Lewis Thomas Prize for Writing about Science (2006)
Galaxy British Book Awards Author of the Year Award (2007)
Deschner Prize (2007)
Galaxy British Book Awards, Author of the Year (2007)
Time magazine, one of the 100 most influential people in the world (2007)
The Daily Telegraph, ranked 20th in list of 100 greatest living geniuses (2007)
Nierenberg Prize for Science in the Public Interest (2009)
FFRF, Honorary Board of distinguished achievers (2010).
Fellow of New College
New Genus name: Dawkinsia (2012)
Voted world’s top thinker, Prospect magazine, (poll of >10K readers from >100 countries (2013).
Patron of the Oxford University Scientific Society.
Introduced new term “meme”, now widely used​
Popular books:
The Selfish Gene
The Extended Phenotype
The Blind Watchmaker
River Out of Eden
Climbing Mount Improbable
Unweaving the Rainbow
A Devil’s Chaplain
The Ancestor’s Tale
The God Delusion
The Greatest Show on Earth
The Magic of Reality (with Dave McKean)
An Appetite for Wonder
Brief Candle in the Dark​
Degrees:
Doctor of Science, University of Oxford, 1989
Honorary Doctorate in science, University of Huddersfield
Honorary Doctorate in science, University of Westminister
Honorary Doctorate in science, Durham University
Honorary Doctorate in science, University of Hull
Honorary Doctorate in science, University of Antwerp
Honorary Doctorate in science, University of Oslo
Honorary Doctorate, University of Aberdeen
Honorary Doctorate, Open University
Honorary Doctorate, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Honorary Doctorate, University of Valencia.
Honorary Doctorate of Letters, University of St Andrews
Honorary Doctorate of Letters, Australian National University​
Documentary Films:
Nice Guys Finish First (1986)
The Blind Watchmaker (1987)
Growing Up in the Universe (1991)
Break the Science Barrier (1996)
The Big Question, Part 3 (2005)
The Root of All Evil? (2006)
The Enemies of Reason (2007)
The Genius of Charles Darwin (2008)
The Purpose of Purpose (2009)
Faith School Menace? (2010)
Beautiful Minds (2012)
Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life (2012)
The Unbelievers (2013)​

And how does 6days characterize Dawkins – “He’s a coward who won’t debate.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.