Could You Train Yourself To Enjoy...

Arthur Brain

Music you find boring?

Foodstuffs you recoil at?

Reality TV if you cringe at it?

This is an offshoot from a conversation with Glassjester where he proposes that people can train themselves to enjoy things they have an aversion to. I say it's bunk and there's no evidence to support it.

Thoughts?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Music you find boring?

This is an offshoot from a conversation with Glassjester where he proposes that people can train themselves to enjoy things they have an aversion to. I say it's bunk and there's no evidence to support it.

Thoughts?
Could Hugh Hefner train himself to be a homo? :think:

The wickedness of Sodom ([Ex 20:14]
stripper.gif
heterosexual [Lev. 20:10–12] or homosexual [Lev. 20:10,13]) was notorious (Gen. 13:13).

glassjester

Acquired tastes happen, brother.

Lots of people hate beer when they first taste it.
Then later, they come to love it.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned

Oh, I see. Guinness tastes terrible at first :scripto: and after a while, not so bad. :scripto: Hugh Hefner can become a homo. :idea:

stripper.gif
heterosexual [Lev. 20:10–12] or homosexual [Lev. 20:10,13]) was notorious (Gen. 13:13).

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Music you find boring?

Thoughts?

i've had to take courses that I wouldn't have chosen to and instead of letting my dislike of the material make the course a struggle, I've made the effort to find something about each one that I could enjoy

so, yeah

Arthur Brain

Could Hugh Hefner train himself to be a homo? :think:

stripper.gif

I don't think he trained himself to develop bi sexual attractions anyway, and when I asked for thoughts I shoulda clarified that I was after the sane variety, so no need for you to bother on this thread. There's plenty of bonkers threads of your own to tend to isn't there?

:e4e:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I don't think he trained himself to develop bi sexual attractions anyway...

It still does not compute. :idunno:

5049.gif

stripper.gif

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Acquired tastes are one thing and development of the palette and brain isn't the argument here. Some tastes are just there and no 'training' required. So how, for example, is someone supposed to be able to enjoy manufactured pap music when they're bored to death by it?

glassjester

Acquired tastes are one thing and development of the palette and brain isn't the argument here. Some tastes are just there and no 'training' required. So how, for example, is someone supposed to be able to enjoy manufactured pap music when they're bored to death by it?

Fake it 'til you make it.

Dance around to it.
Sing along to it.
If you play any instruments, play that type of music on them.
Listen to it with other people who also enjoy it.

I've done this with music my wife listens to.
Then I start to like it more.

Arthur Brain

i've had to take courses that I wouldn't have chosen to and instead of letting my dislike of the material make the course a struggle, I've made the effort to find something about each one that I could enjoy

so, yeah

I took a degree in film studies and some core modules interested me more than others. I made the effort to give attention to the ones that didn't because of my overall passion for film and because I wanted to get a good grade. I didn't "train" myself to enjoy anything unappealing in all of that which is the point of this thread.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Dance around to it.
Sing along to it.

i suspect orchestra members, opera singers, conductors, etc all have pieces they would not chose to play, but learn to like when they have to

i know i did back when i played

Arthur Brain

Dance around to it.
Sing along to it.

I've done this with music my wife listens to.
Then I start to like it more.

Seriously, if this is the 'strength' of your argument then it really does just amount to nothing. I had to sit through commercial radio all day at work with people who liked Beyonce, Justin Bieber, Take That etc - day after day after day...

By your 'logic' I should have started to somehow enjoy it but nope, it bored me to tears then and still does now.

Got anything more?

glassjester

i suspect orchestra members, opera singers, conductors, etc all have pieces they would not chose to play, but learn to like when they have to

That reminds me, back in high school my wife couldn't stand the Beatles (ridiculous, I know).
I'd try to get her to listen, all the time. She just didn't find it appealing.
Then she had to do a whole set of Beatles music for band.

From then on she started to love them.

Arthur Brain

It's a profession, so you learn your part and do it well regardless of whether you enjoy the piece you're playing or not.

glassjester

It's a profession, so you learn your part and do it well regardless of whether you enjoy the piece you're playing or not.

Yes, but in doing so, it's a very good possibility you'll come to appreciate and enjoy a musical piece that you were initially put off by.

Arthur Brain

You have to want to change.

So, I've told you I was blown away by Stravinsky's 'Rite Of Spring' as a 13 year old kid. No choice in that whatsoever. Didn't know anything about the piece, how famous it was as a bombshell in classical music, nothing. The harmonies and rhythms just took me into a musical trip I'd never experienced before and it was amazing. I think I probably wore that tape out by the time my dad took it back to the library.

Now, do you think it's possible for me to train myself to not enjoy the piece?

Arthur Brain

Yes, but in doing so, it's a very good possibility you'll come to appreciate and enjoy a musical piece that you were initially put off by.

You can appreciate something without necessarily enjoying it. I had to study German Expressionist cinema at one point and view films that I normally wouldn't watch and still wouldn't. I appreciate their place in cinematic history however and their impact also. Won't be in any rush to watch 'The Cabinet Of Doctor Caligari' anytime soon though...