Coronavirus, Donald Trump and Medicare for All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Funny, before you went mental you used to recognize logical fallacies like this

What a shame

The fact that a majority of people under the age of 45 think that a minimum wage increase, a federal job guarantee, medicare for all, a green new deal, etc. would massively improve the lives of working people and contribute to averting a climate catastrophe, in and of itself, is not evidence that these policies would actually do those things.

If I said that, that would be a fallacy.

But that's not what I'm saying.

You think that I'm "mental" and "delusional" for thinking that.

A majority of people under the age of 45 agree with me.

You think that a majority of people under the age of 45 are "mental" and "delusional."

And you wonder. You absolutely wonder.

You wonder why the younger generations absolutely despise yours.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
And for the record, I really should not have qualified it as "at least a plurality." I know that it's not just a plurality. Things like a federal job guarantee, medicare for all, a $15 per hour minimum wage, etc. are widely popular. Strong majority support.

You know the sole demographic where they don't have strong majority support? Over 45s.

If you removed the over 45s from the picture, we wouldn't be looking at just 70% support for a federal job guarantee or medicare for all.

That number would be much higher.

eider

It's in both hemispheres. You know the earth tilts, right? Look at this map:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...med-cases.html

Is it possible that rates of transmission will slow down a little bit? Sure. But it's still highly contagious and is going to continue its death march across the world.

Everything I've been seeing on the news seems to be indicating that the spring isn't going to save the boomers.

https://time.com/5790880/coronavirus...eather-summer/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/will-co...-warm-weather/

Also, let this sink in:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pers-show.html

96 million infections. Half a million deaths.

And that's just in the US.

That is what is currently being expected.

:cheers:

Our CMO is responsible for the people in the UK, not Argentina.
D

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I don't have the time or inclination to delve into this as deeply as it deserves, but this jumped out at me:
... basic mental and physical health ...

of the countries listed, none of them have our poverty rates, none of them have our masses of immigrants, often from impoverished backgrounds lacking in basic healthcare, none of them have our inner cities with crime and disease a constant factor at play, none of them have, as Lon alluded to, our rates of obesity which are usually coupled with sedentary lifestyles which are linked to increased disease risk, etc etc

in short, none of them are like us, have the challenges we have

you want to see us on that list?

Ship off to Canada, France, Norway, Germany, etc, all of our impoverished immigrants, all of our inner city poor, all of our fat people

watch those numbers change

Canada tops your list - talk to Canadians, as I do, listen to the public debates on health care regulations on the CBC, as I do, listen to the radio call-in shows that occasionally cover dissatisfaction with aspects of their system, shows like "Cross Country Checkup" , or "White Coat Black Art"

They struggle with problems just as we do

ok doser

Lon User Name

OK, one more, then I'm out

Recriminations tend to focus on how Americans pay for health care, and on our hospitals and physicians. Surely if we could just import Singapore’s or Switzerland’s health-care system to our nation, the logic goes, we’d get those countries’ lower costs and better results. Surely, some might add, a program like Medicare for All would help by discouraging high-cost, ineffective treatments.

But lost in these discussions is, well, us.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/american-health-care-spending/590623/

It's worth a full read and goes a long way toward explaining why we're number one

ok doser

Lon User Name OK, one more (I do enjoy this :) )

execsu1.gif
Poverty%20Rates%20by%20Ethnicity%20and%20Immigration%20Status%20All%20Persons_0.png

Census: Record 51 million immigrants in 8 years, will account for 82% of U.S. growth

by Paul Bedard
| April 22, 2015 06:11 PM

Legal and illegal immigrants will hit a record high of 51 million in just eight years and eventually account for an astounding 82 percent of all population growth in America, according to new U.S. Census figures.

A report from the Center for Immigration Studies that analyzed the statistics said that by 2023, one in seven U.S. residents will be an immigrant, rising to one in five by 2060 when the immigrant population totals 78 million.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/c...2-of-us-growth

51 million immigrants in 8 years

Canada's total population? 37.6 million
Qatar? 2.6 million
Denmark? 5.6 million
Sweden? 10.1 million
Norway? 5.3 million
Germany? 82.8 million
United Kingdom? 66.4 million
Japan? 126.8 million
Australia? 24.6 million
Netherlands? 17.2 million
Switzerland? 8.6 million

USA? 327.2 million

The only country in the same ballpark with us is Japan, and Japan serves as a perfect illustration for another thing these ten countries have that sets them apart from us, besides their relatively tiny populations - ethnic homogeneity. There's not a single country there that comes anywhere close to us in terms of ethnic diversity - in most of them, they're miles apart.

Canada, for example:

d-canada-us-population-by-approximate-us-race-ethnicity-category-200-bar.png

ok doser

Given that last graphic, why would anybody think that the Canadian model would work in the US?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
of the countries listed, none of them have our poverty rates, none of them have our masses of immigrants, often from impoverished backgrounds lacking in basic healthcare, none of them have our inner cities with crime and disease a constant factor at play, none of them have, as Lon alluded to, our rates of obesity which are usually coupled with sedentary lifestyles which are linked to increased disease risk, etc etc

France is number 3 on the list. I checked a few of the issues you brought up to compare the situation in France with the USA:

1) Poverty: France's poverty rate was 14.1% in 2017, the USA's was 12.3%.
2) Immigration: Immigrants account for 11.8% of the population of France (often from impoverished backgrounds lacking in basic healthcare) and 14.4% of the USA's population.
3) Crime: Total crimes per 1,000 in France is 61.03. In the USA it is 41.29

So France's poverty and crime rates are higher than ours, and they also have a substantial immigrant population. I think it's obvious that obesity rates are higher here, so that is a given.

None of this means that we can't have universal health care.

Oh, and... #OkBoomer

Last edited:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I don't have the time or inclination to delve into this as deeply as it deserves, but this jumped out at me:

you want to see us on that list?

Ship off to Canada, France, Norway, Germany, etc, all of our impoverished immigrants, all of our inner city poor, all of our fat people

watch those numbers change

Canada tops your list - talk to Canadians, as I do, listen to the public debates on health care regulations on the CBC, as I do, listen to the radio call-in shows that occasionally cover dissatisfaction with aspects of their system, shows like "Cross Country Checkup" , or "White Coat Black Art"

They struggle with problems just as we do

Several points:

1. However much it costs to ensure all of those poverty stricken people and fat people, it costs MORE under a private system. This cost is felt in terms of a. increased administrative costs, b. corporate profiteering and c. suppressed workers wages.

2. You understand that poverty stricken people are already covered, yeah? It's called medicaid. Under the current system, the very poor and the very old (i.e., the least able to pay and the most expensive) are already covered. It's called medicaid and medicare. Think that one through. Who is still left out? Who would be covered?

3. Are. You. Really. Going. To. Talk. To. Me. About. Immigration? Europe, anyone?

4. But let us assume we didn't have Medicaid. What do you think should happen to poor people who become sick? Please, explain to me how your preferred solution is consistent with Matthew 25.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Oh, and... #OkBoomer

Careful. You're but one step away from #LongLiveCoronachan and #CoronachanIsBae

That's my position.

If they have this much contempt for us, then I have no sympathy for them.

Let the process of natural selection work itself out.

:darwinsm:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Hey, ok doser, you know who is a really expensive demographic to cover?

Old people.

You know what would drive down healthcare costs?

If we just didn't treat old people.

You know what would save countries a lot of money in terms of healthcare costs and old age pension payments?

If coronachan wiped out old people.

You in favor of that, buddy?

You seem to have an absolute hatred of immigrants, minorities, the poor and the youth.

Well let me tell you:

No love lost, friend. ;)

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Every pensioner that coronachan carries away into the afterlife is ~$1500 per month in savings from decreased social security costs and untold savings from decreased medicare costs.

That's all I'm saying.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I just did the math. If coronachan exterminates 2 million pensioners, from savings to social security payments alone, we would save 36 billion dollars every year on average. That's not even taking medicare into consideration. Just saying.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
You see, if you old people consistently voted for New Deal style democrats like FDR, I would be much more concerned about your health and safety.

But you consistently vote for right wing "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" types.

Let's see how well you can pull yourselves up by the bootstraps when coronachan comes to visit, pensioners. :darwinsm:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Don't come crying to me for praising Malthusian consequences when you voted for Malthusian social policies.

That's all I'm saying.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Ready everybody?

1) Trump will be re-elected.

2) Medicare for all is STUPID

3) Coronavirus is just another virus so don't pee all over yourselves.

Might as well lock up this thread. That is the Final Word, and just about the only truthful one here.

ok doser

Hey, ok doser, you know who is a really expensive demographic to cover?

Old people.

You know what would drive down healthcare costs?

If we just didn't treat old people.

You know what would save countries a lot of money in terms of healthcare costs and old age pension payments?

If coronachan wiped out old people.

You in favor of that, buddy?

You seem to have an absolute hatred of immigrants, minorities, the poor and the youth.

Well let me tell you:

No love lost, friend. ;)

Hey trad, I know you've been gone for a year

Keep this up and you'll be gone again

ok doser

au contraire, my warped little friend whose year off obviously did nothing to fix what was wrong with his mental processes

I have a strong fondness for legal immigrants, having taught many of them when I worked in education

same for minorities, as my experience working in the inner city showed me

same for the poor, in the four districts I taught in that met my state's criteria for "high poverty"

should be obvious that you're wrong about youth as well

but that seems to be your persona in this return - there's very little that you're RIGHT about and oh so much that you're wrong about, dreadfully, sinfully wrong about, as Lon has tried to tell you

and now, I think its best to put you on ignore and watch you flame out, again, from a distance

be well

be better

Status
Not open for further replies.