Conversation with Knight about losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quetzal

As I told Anna in the other thread.....

TOL is no different than the water cooler at the office. It's a place for people to talk. If someone loses their faith after talking with a fellow employee at the office water cooler I doubt the Deep Rock guy feels guilty about it.
The difference is you perpetuate and actively promote "truth smacking" or, as I see it, "brow beating only to cease upon assimilation".

Or, to put in terms others can understand: BELIEVE WHAT WE DO OR ELSE.

Mocking You

Belief in God.

Well, that's awfully generic, isn't it? Some people think the spirit of God inhabits nature, wildlife, trees, plants, etc. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if they were to lose their faith in that drivel. Or "everyone is a little god". Or "all paths lead to Heaven". Ditto for all the other wacko viewpoints on TOL.

Yes, it does sound heartless. It sounds unChristian.

Let's try an analogy. I don't know your political persuasions, but would you care if someone switched from being against your viewpoints? Probably not. There is a parallel here with Knight not caring about someone dropping a erroneous belief.

He does believe in OSAS, but many Christians don't. For them, a loss of belief in God is by definition, eternally fatal.

Again, losing something that was nothing to begin with--what's the loss?

But Knight relies on the no true Scotsman fallacy by saying that if they lose faith, either they're still saved, or they weren't really a Christian anyway.

The no true Scotsman fallacy does not apply to eternal souls. On this issue there is no wiggle room. You either are a "true Scotsman" or you're not.

His indifference to their fate (if they're saved), in that context, is more understandable. But if they weren't really a Christian by his definition, then his attitude is callous and unChristian.

I think you've got the logic reversed.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You see, if Knight believes in OSAS (and I think he does) then true believers cannot "lose their faith". That means from Knight's viewpoint other people "losing their faith" in whatever extra-Biblical, man-made doctrine is a good thing, doubly so if they come to believe in Jesus, and Jesus alone, for their salvation (which comes by grace through faith.)

So from where I'm sitting Knight could have said "losing one's faith" was a good thing instead of merely saying it didn't bother him. He might have been diplomatic. But of course to you it sounds heartless .

i was thinking something similar as i walked next door for more coffee - losing one's faith in a false Christ is a good thing

and we seem to have no end of those on here - people who want to remake Christ according to their own imaginations

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
the problem with anna's question is that it is a compound one
and
because of that
anna doesn't know
if
knight cares if someone loses their faith

all she knows
is
that knight doesn't care if someone loses their faith because of the forum

a valid distinction

You have a point... to a point.

However, Knight had the opportunity to make a distinction, and he didn't.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The difference is you perpetuate and actively promote "truth smacking" or, as I see it, "brow beating only to cease upon assimilation".
Lol.... if someone doesn't like TOL or me, they should find another forum to participate on. There are literally thousands to choose from.

We have been around for almost 20 years now. Apparently some people like the TOL style so we don't plan on changing it any time soon.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Salvation through faith is God's responsibility, not anyone else's.

We should encourage and exhort one another but each person is responsible for their life.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Or, to put in terms others can understand: BELIEVE WHAT WE DO OR ELSE.

turn to Christ or suffer eternal damnation?

but we have plenty so-called "Christians" here who don't even believe that

and they're allowed to stay and post

how about that?

bybee

turn to Christ or suffer eternal damnation?

but we have plenty so-called "Christians" here who don't even believe that

and they're allowed to stay and post

how about that?

Damnation is not within your power.
Rather, you are called to behave in Christian, that is to say, in Christlike Love for others.

bybee

not according to liberals

according to liberals it's always somebody else's fault

I would append that to "some" or "almost all" liberals often place blame everywhere but on the perpetrator.
This is a serious problem in America today.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Lol.... if someone doesn't like TOL or me, they should find another forum to participate on. There are literally thousands to choose from.

We have been around for almost 20 years now. Apparently some people like the TOL style so we don't plan on changing it any time soon.

do you care
if
someone loses their faith?

Caledvwlch

was Christ being loving when he said "go and sin no more"?

If every awful thing you've ever said (and don't get me wrong, I also think you're hilarious, but you do say really crappy things to people) was just an extrapolation from "go and sin no more" I will eat my hat.

bybee

i can't imagine why you'd think i believe it is :idunno:

was Christ being loving when he said "go and sin no more"?

For one thing, I do not EVER question the words of our Savior.
I do examine my own words and deeds to see if they are a decent reflection of Him.
Often, especially when dealing with you, I fall short.
But,
I keep on trying.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That's because you have no idea what Christianity is. Those things that cause people to admit they do not love Jesus Christ have nothing to with determining their salvation.

You're whining about the truth being laid out and, predictably, you hate it.

Predictably, "whine" and "hate" showed up in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.