consequences to women of abortion: depression, sterility.. even DEATH

Huckleberry

Except for rape victims. That's what I said, and it also stands
I agree. "Don't have sex" obviously does not address rape.
No. I don't think it would increase abortions. But they would still occur and when they did they would be so unsafe and life threatening.
I would imagine it was less safe to murder Jews individually, without government sanction and the availability of concentration camps. I don't see that as an argument for the holocaust.

Huckleberry

explain how rape victims get pregnant without having sex
I do not think it reasonable to equate rape with "having sex".
why not?

"don't want to get pregnant - don't have sex"

should encompass without saying

"don't want to get pregnant - don't get raped"
I will agree, and happily against every feminist everywhere, that women do indeed carry the greater burden to defend themselves against violence. Nonetheless, it is not reasonable to expect women to carry a child born of rape to term because they failed to not get raped. Rather, because a person's right to life trumps one's right to liberty.

Huckleberry

rape
verb

: to force (someone) to have sex with you by using violence or the threat of violence
So you're saying a woman who rapes a man, and gets pregnant in the process, should not be allowed to murder their unborn child.

I agree.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Agreed. But you don't have to twist "rape" into knots to make it equate with "having sex" to argue against murdering an innocent child.

it's another discussion for another thread, but i'm of the opinion that rape is a choice that women make

alwight

And we're right back to the same old arguments that have been hashed out a thousand times already.

Don't want to get pregnant? Don't have sex.
Some it seems would like to control who is allowed to have sex and create a Russian roulette scenario where there really is no need.
You perhaps think that sex is only for "proper" married folk and only for the purpose of producing issue? :think:

Back-alley murder is preferable to government sanctioned murder.
Your personal liberty does not trump another person's right to life.
I however still don't want backstreet abortions going on next door to me thanks, whatever you personally find preferable.
For some perspective all zygotes (early conception) might have a supposed equal right to life in theory, yet two thirds are doomed to fail quite naturally as a fact of life, so let's try to be a little pragmatic here.
Women who promptly choose to terminate their pregnancy are indeed making a moral choice about what happens to their own bodies, that others should perhaps simply butt out of imo.
My own view is that such a woman is no more morally culpable than a woman who may have used contraception rather more successfully. And that sex is something that people should be able to do responsibly without possible long term consequences or reaping the displeasure of a self proclaimed moral elite.

We can beat those old dead horses for the billionth time, but my issue was with The Horn presenting women as necessarily callous as the figment you attribute to pro-lifers. You attribute this to pro-lifers, yet right there we have a poster like The Horn presenting just exactly that. I see his post as a blatantly insulting. Why don't you?
Yes same ol' same ol' and I see The Horn has been banned again, oh well.
However for me pro-life women are free to choose never to abort, even if they are raped or their own life is at risk, I simply suggest that the same right of choice is available to all women.

Clearly most women do not have "an overwhelming compulsion to murder their children in the womb", that's pro-lifer hype, typically they simply want to make a rational choice based on their own circumstances, not stuck with the dogmatic conclusions of others.

Huckleberry

Some it seems would like to control who is allowed to have sex and create a Russian roulette scenario where there really is no need.
You perhaps think that sex is only for "proper" married folk and only for the purpose of producing issue? :think:
Sex has an inherent risk of pregnancy. Engaging in sex is to accept those risks. I don't see the need to inflate the point beyond that.

I however still don't want backstreet abortions going on next door to me thanks, whatever you personally find preferable.
For some perspective all zygotes (early conception) might have a supposed equal right to life in theory, yet two thirds are doomed to fail quite naturally as a fact of life, so let's try to be a little pragmatic here.
Women who promptly choose to terminate their pregnancy are indeed making a moral choice about what happens to their own bodies, that others should perhaps simply butt out of imo.
My own view is that such a woman is no more morally culpable than a woman who may have used contraception rather more successfully. And that sex is something that people should be able to do responsibly without possible long term consequences or reaping the displeasure of a self proclaimed moral elite.
If a fertilized egg is a human being, with all the rights of a human being, those rights should be upheld. A woman murdering her unborn child is not only making a "moral choice" in regards to her own body, but in regards to another person as well.

In fact, if you do not believe a fertilized egg is a human being, then I wonder why you characterize abortion as a moral choice. I don't see the moral choice of trimming your hair, or fingernails, or fetus. It seems to me that you recognize the human life of the unborn child.

alwight

Sex has an inherent risk of pregnancy. Engaging in sex is to accept those risks. I don't see the need to inflate the point beyond that.

If a fertilized egg is a human being, with all the rights of a human being, those rights should be upheld. A woman murdering her unborn child is not only making a "moral choice" in regards to her own body, but in regards to another person as well.

In fact, if you do not believe a fertilized egg is a human being, then I wonder why you characterize abortion as a moral choice. I don't see the moral choice of trimming your hair, or fingernails, or fetus. It seems to me that you recognize the human life of the unborn child.
I concluded long ago that a human person at least needed to have at least some kind of rudimentary functioning nervous system. I honestly don't recognise something magical occurs at conception particularly, yes a unique DNA is true, but since most conceptions will fail naturally then neither would any caring involved god be too worried either imo.

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
it's another discussion for another thread, but i'm of the opinion that rape is a choice that women make
Could you clarify that statement.

Does a woman choose to be raped by a stranger on a college campus when she is getting out of her car? Just trying to clarify what you mean by this statement.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
http://familyandlife.org/resources/faq/effects-abortion

Women still die from abortion

and some of them probably find themselves wishing they had..

At this site is a list of the adverse consequences to abortion:

- Denial and repression of emotions.

- Avoidance patterns which can lead to isolation.

- Emotional numbness.

- Violence or aggression towards themselves or others.

- Psychosomatic symptoms – bodily signs of continuing stress:

1. Sleep problems – insomnia, nightmares, and “hearing” a baby crying.

2. Back pain, abdominal cramps, and skin irritations, non-hormonal PMT.

3. Sexual difficulties – cervical pain, frigidity etc.

4. Eating disorders –excessive weight gain or loss, anorexia, bulimia.

5. Trouble with relationships and intimacy in general.

6. Self-punishing and self-degrading behaviours (promiscuity, entering abusive relationships, becoming accident-prone).

7. Preoccupation with the abortion child, resulting in anniversary reactions- stress, tension, etc.

8. Many women suffer from depression, turn to drugs or alcohol, and have recurring thoughts of suicide.

9. Trauma – because an unborn baby has been destroyed.

+
This ought to drive home the point to all of us: women are so hedged in by the prospect of an unwanted pregnancy that they are willing to seek after ways to have it aborted.

This has gone on all through human history, but now with a goal of human dignity and liberty and justice for all, we might just yet build an adequate safety net from the taxes we pay.

musterion

Are you stupid or just British? How many horrendous problems our society suffers would have been avoided, or at least greatly lessened, had people continued to stick to that practice?

Huckleberry

This ought to drive home the point to all of us: women are so hedged in by the prospect of an unwanted pregnancy that they are willing to seek after ways to have it aborted.
And here again women are presented as completely powerless to defend themselves against pregnancy, when the exact opposite is true. Women have almost total control over whether or not they get pregnant.